Anyone heard back from UW yet?

Emarouk

I got my acceptance email on Friday 3/14. If you're feeling discouraged, don't. Good things are always worth the wait. Also, think about which program you really want to go to. Don't simply go to a school just because you got accepted. Maybe consider going back to the drawing board, examining how you can better your application, see which schools have top-notch programs in the focus you want to go into, and go from there. 

Congratulations!!!

I appreciate the pep talk as well. This has been a humbling experience. I came into this a little too sure of myself. I have over a 4 point, great letters, experience, both in my community and personally as a single mom putting myself through school while working. I returned to school after a decade of work experience, though not in SW. When I spoke with professors about my plans to go this route, they encouraged me to look at PhD programs and almost acted as if this was below me academically. I probably sound like a jerk, but part of the reason I decided to go this route is because it seemed safe and secure and I wasn't sure I could handle the work associated with some of the other options I was considering when my child is so young. Don't get me wrong...I am really impressed by the people I know in social work and I love the idea of working with and for people and communities; this was NOT settling, I just had been lead to believe that getting into a program if my choice wouldn't be that difficult. Now ummm...well, I should have applied for more than two schools obviously!! It's a good learning experience and I'm thankful for the lesson in humility!

Again, congrats to you!!! Is this your first choice? I hear it is a great program.

I got my acceptance email on Friday 3/14. If you're feeling discouraged, don't. Good things are always worth the wait. Also, think about which program you really want to go to. Don't simply go to a school just because you got accepted. Maybe consider going back to the drawing board, examining how you can better your application, see which schools have top-notch programs in the focus you want to go into, and go from there.

Thank you. UW is a great program, but I've also been accepted at Columbia, Penn, USC, and Pitt. I'm also waiting on a few other schools. So where I'm going is up in the air. Please don't take this personally when I say this, but no one is guaranteed a position at any MSW program. It's a crap shoot. And while you may look appealing, the reality is whether or not you get in somewhere often depends on what that particular university is looking for. While raising your daughter and going to school is a great accomplishment, it's not exactly the kind of "experience" programs typically look for. I interned in 2 research labs, had an independent research project published in a academic psychological journal, worked a job, and volunteered at a nonprofit while completing my Bachelors in 3 years, and even I came into this process unsure. Your GPA seems impressive (although I'm not exactly sure how one gets over a 4.0), I'd just maybe focus some more on getting social work experience. 

Wow! Those are all great programs...having to decide certainly isn't the worst situation to be in!

I also have co-authored three academic articles published in various journals, but they are in anthropology, specifically in nutritional anthropology. I did a lot of volunteer work as well and started a program that assisted low income mothers and children with gaining access to adequate nutrition. I've always worked and have been a part of many programs that have made a large impact on my communities. I currently work in Spain with two different organizations that assist immigrant children in their first years living here. That plus my grades (I got over a 4 point by getting an A+ in every class but two, in which I got an A, for the last two years) made me think I had a good chance of getting in, but I obviously have stiff competition! I do think you are correct in saying that I may just not be the right fit. Fortunately I have some great professional offers that will prevent me from getting too upset if I end up not getting accepted.

I'm thankful you listed your history here; it makes me feel somehow better ro know the caliber of folks who are being accepted. Again, congratulations on all of your acceptances, it is obvious they are well deserved!

Thank you. UW is a great program, but I've also been accepted at Columbia, Penn, USC, and Pitt. I'm also waiting on a few other schools. So where I'm going is up in the air. Please don't take this personally when I say this, but no one is guaranteed a position at any MSW program. It's a crap shoot. And while you may look appealing, the reality is whether or not you get in somewhere often depends on what that particular university is looking for. While raising your daughter and going to school is a great accomplishment, it's not exactly the kind of "experience" programs typically look for. I interned in 2 research labs, had an independent research project published in a academic psychological journal, worked a job, and volunteered at a nonprofit while completing my Bachelors in 3 years, and even I came into this process unsure. Your GPA seems impressive (although I'm not exactly sure how one gets over a 4.0), I'd just maybe focus some more on getting social work experience.

Thanks! Have you ever considered looking at some kind of anthro PhD? You qualifications seem like they'd make you really competitive applicant. Not to mention, they're paid for, which is a nice plus! And some schools, UW is one of them actually, provide both daycare and housing for students with children. Food for thought. Lastly, some schools are rolling admissions for MSW, so until they fill the incoming class, they continue to accept new applicants. Maybe look at your personal statement? I don't know this for a fact, but I think programs really like it if you're specific as to what exactly you want to do with your MSW. So if you can hone in on your interests, I think it could help!

I feel the same way. :/

At least we aren't alone. ;) If you hear back would you mind letting me know? At this point I'm just sick of waiting.

I found out PSU would allow me to do some of the work online so that I could finish up what I am working on in Spain so if that works out, that may be a better fit for me...especially with instate tuition. There is a lot I really like about the UW program though and at this point I just really want to know!

I'm still holding out hope for UW. When they said they would announce the first group by end or February, they waited until Feb 28. So, it wouldn't surprise me if the end-March admissions were really at the end of March. Other than KNik's post above, I haven't heard of any other acceptances or denials this month. Hang in there. Soon, all will be known!

I'm still holding out hope for UW. When they said they would announce the first group by end or February, they waited until Feb 28. So, it wouldn't surprise me if the end-March admissions were really at the end of March. Other than KNik's post above, I haven't heard of any other acceptances or denials this month. Hang in there. Soon, all will be known!

I hope you're right! I got an email that said "I guarantee you will hear from us by the week of March 24." Now I'm obsessing on when that means I will hear from them...to me by the week of the 24th should mean the end of this week, but it could easily be taken to mean the end of next week. Yeah...I need to stop thinking about this. Ha.

Hey all- I received an offer of admission from UW today but am 99% sure I will decline.The extremely long wait (applied in November, was rolled into general) means I've been deciding between 5 other acceptances and narrowing it down since early February and already have financial information from those schools. The email I received was heavy on the steps to commit to the program without offering ANY financial information- financial aid or merit based shcolarships. I've reached out to them inquiring re: financial info, and if I'm told it won't be available for a while (for example: the tuition fellowship applicants wont receive a response until May 31) then I'm declining and moving on. Especially because deadlines for Penn, Mich, Chicago, USC etc. are all coming up next week (and UW wants an admissions response by the 15th).  

I'm over Washington at this point. I really hope that my decline offers someone a spot who truly loves the program! Also- just FYI for anyone checking the website often or something, my decision came in an email this afternoon.

I just got accepted to the Day Program! 

After getting rejected last year and then getting the "decision has been delayed" email last month, I thought for sure I was going to be rejected again!

Go Dawgs! 

Good luck to everyone still waiting! 

I can give you mine--GPA 3.81, 2 years of work in the CA foster care system, and 2 years of case management experience.  I had strong LOR's (2 professional, 1 academic).  Good luck mrdjdecastro! 

Thanks, Pamaya. I am sure I will found out in the next day or two. Although, I have heard rumors that they send out acceptances first then rejections the following day, so that got my spirits down. I'll keep you guys posted! Wish me luck!

Congrats, A_SouthWest! I applied as well and still waiting for a response. Would you mind if I ask your stats? GPA, work experience, etc?

Sure!

I had a 3.8 GPA with around 3 years of experience in crisis intervention, no research experience. 

I was rejected last year, and attended their re-applicant info session this summer; I was told i had 3 strong LOR's which I reused this year, and hopefully wrote a much stronger statement this time around, but they said my biggest weakness was my experience.

If I remember last year correctly.  We were told the decision was delayed at the end of Feb and given a specific week to expect the decision; just like this year.  But I'm pretty sure we all heard, good and bad, within a few hours of each other, on the very last day of that week. I was surprised to find out today instead of Friday! 

Good luck!   If you don't get in and plan on trying again I cannot tell you how helpful the re-applicant sessions were for me. 

Congratulations to all of you who have been accepted! I still haven't heard anything so I'm guessing that is a no, but I am okay with that at this point. Mridgeway it has been a crazy long wait, I feel your pain! It looks like you've got your share of great schools to choose from.

Again, congrats to you all!

Congratulations to all of you who have been accepted! I still haven't heard anything so I'm guessing that is a no, but I am okay with that at this point. Mridgeway it has been a crazy long wait, I feel your pain! It looks like you've got your share of great schools to choose from.

Again, congrats to you all!

Very true, thanks Emarouk! Although, I wouldn't rule yourself out. It's pointless to try and guess based on prior cycles or even other applicant's experiences how a certain admissions office operates. Office habits change year to year. I worked in admissions with my undergrad and I can tell you from experience that waiting a long time is not a bad indicator! Really, offices just get a lot of apps, and if they fully read (meaning they don't have minimum numbers), it can just take forever. I generally would not have minded UW's wait since I can totally understand it, except that I have so much info from everyone else that it's not worth it for me to start asking for extensions as I get more info from UW. At this point, I just need to make a decision and UW wasn't my very top choice. All that to say- you seriously still have a shot! Best of luck!

Edited by mridgeway

Thank you mridgeway!

I did finally hear back and I got in, but for the extended weekend program. In a way that would work since I am a single mama, but I don't know... 3 years with no weekends? Ha...at least I got in. Kind of? Is there any difference between doing an extended program and the regular day program? It would be an extra year in a really expensive city. I wish I knew more about my financial aid. Ahhhh decisions! I am glad that I at least heard back though!

Is anyone else doing the extended program? I am getting pretty excited and I think this may actually be better for my life as a single mama. Now to fid work in Seattle...and an affordable place to live. Woohoo for changes!

Yay, Emarouk!

I got my acceptance email late last night too! I got into the extended evening program, which was my first choice since I work in the day. However, I am still waiting on Cal State U Long Beach. Does anyone know if UW will allow an extension to accept the offer

Again, congrats to everyone who got in! I know some people who did not and all I can say is don't give up!