University of Maryland PhD 2014

Mr.Nobody

I received a positive confirmation from the chair of CS, UMD college park for my phd application. The email came out of the blue , with no prior interviews. It doesn't mention any research/faculty advisor although it was cc'ed to a particular professor (who happened to be my POI). Does that mean he would be my initial advisor? (which I really hope he is).

It also mentions funding by TA/RA ship with a small amount guaranteed by dean's fellowship. Anyone here who is guaranteed a full fellowship?

Also the visit day happens to be on 10th March, which unfortunately I won't be able to attend. Will I miss out on much?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I had a small chat with a Professor at UMD CS last December

and he told me that all PhD students get 2 years TAship in the beginning (so I think it might be beside the fellowship for some applicants)

I received a positive confirmation from the chair of CS, UMD college park for my phd application. The email came out of the blue , with no prior interviews. It doesn't mention any research/faculty advisor although it was cc'ed to a particular professor (who happened to be my POI). Does that mean he would be my initial advisor? (which I really hope he is).

Just ask? 

I was a grad student in CS at UMD and have friends who completed their PhDs in the department.  Whether you get a TA or an RA depends on whether you can talk to a professor who has funding and get them to hire you on.  I was an RA during my 2 years there.  Fellowships (i.e. full tuition with no work requirement) are few and far between - and may not even be offered to first-year students.

If you miss visit day, you will miss the chance to talk freely with current grad students, and the chance to talk with several professors who may or may not be interested in taking on new students.  If you believe you would like to go to UMD, you could ask for an alternate day where you can stop by and talk to whoever might be available at the time, or make an appointment with a particular professor.

I was a grad student in CS at UMD and have friends who completed their PhDs in the department.  Whether you get a TA or an RA depends on whether you can talk to a professor who has funding and get them to hire you on.  I was an RA during my 2 years there.  Fellowships (i.e. full tuition with no work requirement) are few and far between - and may not even be offered to first-year students.

If you miss visit day, you will miss the chance to talk freely with current grad students, and the chance to talk with several professors who may or may not be interested in taking on new students.  If you believe you would like to go to UMD, you could ask for an alternate day where you can stop by and talk to whoever might be available at the time, or make an appointment with a particular professor.

I agree. Ask for an alternate visit day