"Rejecting" a professor cordially, further pursuing one lab?

coffeesleep

One of the schools I'm applying to has the system where basically your application is available to the professors to peruse, and they do most of the contact if you're not actively contacting professors yourself. I'm talking to 3 different POIs right now and just had a visit with two of them (I live in a different city) and had a Skype interview with the other. The takeaway from all of them was that they wanted me to think over my options and let the know if I'm still interested after having spoken to all three.

I think I've settled on one, and now I don't know how to graciously let the other two professors know, or even how to let the one professor know I've decided on his lab. I just don't want to come off rude especially to the other professor I met with in person, since the professors do seem to know each other on top of everything.

Don't get too worked up over it I think. Take a page out of any other rejection letter you've ever read and write something courteous and brief. i.e.

Dear Professor [x],

After careful consideration I have decided to study with another professor. I thank you for your time as we have gone through this process and I highly respect and appreciate your work in the field. I hope that we will have future opportunites to work together as my career progresses. Please don't hesitate to keep in touch.

Thank You, (or Sincerely,)

~coffeesleep

Don't get too worked up over it I think. Take a page out of any other rejection letter you've ever read and write something courteous and brief. i.e.

Dear Professor [x],

After careful consideration I have decided to study with another professor. I thank you for your time as we have gone through this process and I highly respect and appreciate your work in the field. I hope that we will have future opportunites to work together as my career progresses. Please don't hesitate to keep in touch.

Thank You, (or Sincerely,)

~coffeesleep

and for the one you picked, here's a try:

Dear Professor [x],

After careful deliberation I have come to the conclusion that your lab is the most well suited to my academic pursuits. Your research stood out to me because [x] and [y], and I enthusiastically await my opportunity to contribute. If you are still interested in taking me on as a student, I would like to meet (via Skype, in person, whatever) to discuss the next steps. I look forward to our work together.

Sincerely,

~coffeesleep