Am I waitlisted - dead silence - VA Tech

Tobson

Hey folks,

I am Fulbright grantee from Germany, unfortunately we are only allowed to apply to one school and my (semi free) top choice was Virginia Tech.

First they messed up my stuff at the graduate school and lost my Toefl score report, so after a long time of waiting they sent it out to the department

and that is the place where it still is. The secretary/grad coordinator told me that a descicon will be made "shortly", that was three weeks ago.

Last week she, as well as the graduate school told me that a descicon on my application has not been made yet and is not due to April the 15th.

I just don't get why this is taking so long, I am fully funded by the program...., am I waitlisted?...any ideas?

My stats, in case it helps:

GRE:

Math: 780

Verbal: 380

AWA: 3.0 - I know this sucks, but really I don't know why it is that low

Toefl:

Listening: 29

Reading: 29

Speaking: 23

Writing: 28

109 out of 120

GPA: hard to translate, the System is very different, A's are only given for outstanding work -

so I would say it is something like a B+. Finished my Bachelor's thesis with the best grade possible.

Studied abroad one semester at a top 50ish US University, maintained a GPA of 3.75 there - taking 4 classes.

I took three classes in my major, and one history class, in which I was ranked 3 out of 70 participants.

This professor also wrote me a LOR.

Other than that I am graduate student here, also working as a RA.

If you are coming in with your own funding and have acceptable stats I don't see why they wouldn't take you. However, there may be other logistical issues at play - like there isn't an adviser in your specific area who is able to take a student, or they need to limit their cohort for other reasons like wanting diversity of interests. I do wonder though how admissions decisions are made for people coming in funded. You'd think that on an administrative level as long as they were a strong student the school would be happy to take money instead of giving it out!

If you are coming in with your own funding and have acceptable stats I don't see why they wouldn't take you. However, there may be other logistical issues at play - like there isn't an adviser in your specific area who is able to take a student, or they need to limit their cohort for other reasons like wanting diversity of interests. I do wonder though how admissions decisions are made for people coming in funded. You'd think that on an administrative level as long as they were a strong student the school would be happy to take money instead of giving it out!

Thanks for your reply. Maybe I should have mentioned that I applied for a MS program. What I just don't understand that they dodge all the time, telling me that there hasn't been made a desicion yet , and that they don't know when there wiill be one....that is just bad style...