Indiana - Bloomington

Hi all!

Is anyone else waiting on Indiana? They are in my top three and as it looks like I'm going to be rejected from UVA, I'm getting really anxious.

Hi!

I too am waiting for a response from Indiana! I am so anxious because I have only heard back from UMass - Amherst and that was a rejection. Even though I wasn't in love with the UMass program, it still hurts when the first is a rejection.

What is your concentration?

Hi!

I too am waiting for a response from Indiana! I am so anxious because I have only heard back from UMass - Amherst and that was a rejection. Even though I wasn't in love with the UMass program, it still hurts when the first is a rejection.

What is your concentration?

I'm a Victorianist! I'm also interested in Women's and Gender studies so I'm anxiously awaiting a response from Rutgers as well. I'm planning to pursue their certificate program if I'm admitted. I've been rejected from two programs (Wisconsin and UNC) but I suspect that Michigan and UVA will also be rejections as I haven't heard from them yet. Not too torn up about Michigan as I don't think I "clicked" with any faculty there.

What's your concentration?

I'm a Victorianist! I'm also interested in Women's and Gender studies so I'm anxiously awaiting a response from Rutgers as well. I'm planning to pursue their certificate program if I'm admitted. I've been rejected from two programs (Wisconsin and UNC) but I suspect that Michigan and UVA will also be rejections as I haven't heard from them yet. Not too torn up about Michigan as I don't think I "clicked" with any faculty there.

What's your concentration?

I'm also a Victorianist with a concentration in Women's and Gender studies! UMich & Rutgers are tied for being my top choice, but I also have pretty much given up on Michigan, as I haven't heard from them yet. Still have my fingers crossed for Rutgers though!

Hi! I am also a Victorianist and I currently am doing my undergrad at Amherst. I didn't apply to Indiana though. I found their funding package was too low so I didn't think it worth it, though their program is amazing. I also applied to Rutgers and am hoping for the best! I really like that certificate option too. Just thought I'd say hi! 

I didn't apply to IU, but I clicked on this thread because I did my BA there and thought I'd see what was being chatted about here. I'm a Victorianist with an emphasis in gender studies, so I thought I'd join the party, ha. Michigan is my #1 choice, but looks like that isn't happening. If anyone gets into IU or has any questions, let me know. 

I didn't apply to IU, but I clicked on this thread because I did my BA there and thought I'd see what was being chatted about here. I'm a Victorianist with an emphasis in gender studies, so I thought I'd join the party, ha. Michigan is my #1 choice, but looks like that isn't happening. If anyone gets into IU or has any questions, let me know. 

Thanks for the offer. I'm hoping to get in so I'm sure I'll have questions. I've only lived in the Mid-West once... and I was five. Not really sure what to expect now. 

I'm also a Victorianist with a concentration in Women's and Gender studies! UMich & Rutgers are tied for being my top choice, but I also have pretty much given up on Michigan, as I haven't heard from them yet. Still have my fingers crossed for Rutgers though!

Hi! I am also a Victorianist and I currently am doing my undergrad at Amherst. I didn't apply to Indiana though. I found their funding package was too low so I didn't think it worth it, though their program is amazing. I also applied to Rutgers and am hoping for the best! I really like that certificate option too. Just thought I'd say hi! 

I love meeting fellow Victorianists!

Edited by elizabethevrhrt

I love meeting fellow Victorianists!

I know!! I have not yet met another one and I'm including my peers at my current institution. 

Me too! But really - you haven't met a lot? I feel like it's one of the most popular concentrations within the field . . . I guess not?

Me too! But really - you haven't met a lot? I feel like it's one of the most popular concentrations within the field . . . I guess not?

The majority of the people I know are focusing on modern works or shakespeare. To be honest though, I don't know how many people from my school are actually going to grad work. 

I'm supposed to see IU as a hated rival, but damn if that campus isn't straight-up gorgeous.

Really?! I haven't looked at pictures of my remaining campuses online and that's probably something that I should start doing. I'm trying not to fall in love with a place and then ultimately get rejected.... like I suspect is about to happen with UVA.  :unsure:

I've met a lot of Victorianists too... that's part of the reason that I've been so nervous through this whole process... so many Victorianists, so few spots.

Really?! I haven't looked at pictures of my remaining campuses online and that's probably something that I should start doing. I'm trying not to fall in love with a place and then ultimately get rejected.... like I suspect is about to happen with UVA.  :unsure:

Yeah I didn't apply to IU, but as a lifetime resident of Indiana, I can second the fact that the campus is beautiful, especially in the spring and fall. I used to go to camp there back in the day and I loved it :D

I've met a lot of Victorianists too... that's part of the reason that I've been so nervous through this whole process... so many Victorianists, so few spots.

Exactly! I have been super nervous about applications because my understanding has been that Victorian Lit. is an INCREDIBLY popular field, and so it is much harder to get a spot as a potential Victorianist.

Yeah I didn't apply to IU, but as a lifetime resident of Indiana, I can second the fact that the campus is beautiful, especially in the spring and fall. I used to go to camp there back in the day and I loved it :D

That's awesome! I'm now even more anxious to hear back.

I emailed the coordinator to ask about where they were in the process. Here's the response:

"Our admissions committee is completing their second (and final round of readings). Notifications will begin going out in early March and will continue to be sent throughout that month and early April (depending on how quickly our initial offers are accepted or declined)."

Hope that helps?

Exactly! I have been super nervous about applications because my understanding has been that Victorian Lit. is an INCREDIBLY popular field, and so it is much harder to get a spot as a potential Victorianist.

I've definitely felt that through this entire process. Makes me (almost) wish I was a medievalist or something. But ultimately I think that if you're applying to a program with a strong base in Victorian Studies, you SHOULD be okay.

I hope.

I emailed the coordinator to ask about where they were in the process. Here's the response:

"Our admissions committee is completing their second (and final round of readings). Notifications will begin going out in early March and will continue to be sent throughout that month and early April (depending on how quickly our initial offers are accepted or declined)."

Hope that helps?

That does--thanks!!

Hope that helps?

That definitely helps, but oy, I might have to wait until April? I don't know if I can be that patient!

That definitely helps, but oy, I might have to wait until April? I don't know if I can be that patient!

That does--thanks!!

Glad I could help. And I know.... I absolutely CANNOT wait until April. I'm already losing my mind as it is. 

They will be sending out acceptances in the next couple of weeks, Indiana is currently doing a bunch of new facutly hires and the department is really busy with that. But they just selected who will be the prospective student coordinator so they are getting ready to send them out soon. They are looking to have about 10 people in the incoming cohort, so I assume this application season was especially difficult :( but the good news is that everyone who is coming in this year should have a first year fellowship if you don't already have your MA.

I'm currently at Indiana-Bloomington in the PhD program :) I love it here, feel free to PM me if any of you have questions about the program.

They will be sending out acceptances in the next couple of weeks, Indiana is currently doing a bunch of new facutly hires and the department is really busy with that. But they just selected who will be the prospective student coordinator so they are getting ready to send them out soon. They are looking to have about 10 people in the incoming cohort, so I assume this application season was especially difficult :( but the good news is that everyone who is coming in this year should have a first year fellowship if you don't already have your MA.

I'm currently at Indiana-Bloomington in the PhD program :) I love it here, feel free to PM me if any of you have questions about the program.

Thank you so much for sharing! If I get in, I'll definitely take you up on your offer (though I'm going to resist doing so until then, because I can't risk falling deeper in love and then getting rejected). Again, thank you for the information! You really made me feel a little more at ease.

Thanks for the offer! If I get selected, I'm definitely going to take you up on it!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guinevere! I'm already gearing up for the application season this Fall, and I'm trying to take a closer look at IUB. My advisor went there and absolutely adored it. Can you shed some light on the funding situation? It doesn't seem like the PhD program is fully funded, but I'm not quite sure what partial funding would really look like or if I can afford it. It seems like there are some really exciting work positions, but I also don't know how competitive they are.

Any thoughts?