Brandeis The Heller School

Katrun

Hello Friends,

Does anyone know anything about Brandeis, The Heller School masters program, specifically the Sustainable International Development Program?

I am very impressed with it so far, but would like some insight from people who applied there or actually went there. 

Any thoughts would be helpful. Results come out next week!

Thank you!

Sorry I should have clarified. I applied to their Ma in International Sustainable Development. Because I submitted by January 15 I received an email saying I'd here by March 1st. I don't know for PHD programs though.

I also applied to Brandeis MA SID program and am really hoping to get in, as I think it's a great fit and the program seems really well balanced between practicum experience and theory coursework! Good luck, Katrun! Did you apply to other schools as well or Brandeis alone?

I went to Brandeis for a year and then transferred to another school. I would say to make sure that you have your own transportation (the school is in the middle of nowhere and the public transportation sucks... Even getting to the grocery store is a huge hassle). Also, if you aren't a democrat/liberal you may have a problem getting along with the people. Finally, Judaism is a huge part of campus life. HUGE. Just some things to consider.

Super interesting to hear chigirl2014, thanks for your insight! What program did you do and if you don't mind sharing, are you from Chicago for undergrad? This has a been a huge debate for me with the location and needing a car, etc to get around, as I'm used to the New York accessibility and have heard boston is far from it, but the programs seem so great at Brandeis!

I went to Brandeis for the first year of my undergrad. I'm from Chicago and ended up transferring and doing the last three years at Northwestern. I would say if you are used to living in a city and that's what you want then Boston is great but Brandeis is not. In my whole year there I maybe went to the city half a dozen times. Even though the school has a train stop and shuttles, they are unreliable at best. And trust me... You do not want to get stuck in Waltham at night. I once found myself stuck there for hours when I went to pick up a prescription from Walgreens. If you want more info feel free to pm me.

I also applied to Brandeis MA SID program and am really hoping to get in, as I think it's a great fit and the program seems really well balanced between practicum experience and theory coursework! Good luck, Katrun! Did you apply to other schools as well or Brandeis alone?

I applied to schools all up and down the East Coast, Tufts, Johns Hopkins, Georgetown, George Washington, American etc. I also applied to Sciences PO, Paris MA International Development. So far I have been accepted to Sciences Po. I really love the Brandeis program, but among the intl. dev applicants this year I have yet to find anyone, other than yourself who has applied there. I don't know what to think. I currently live and work in Haiti so I cannot exactly visit the school before I have to make a decision. 

Do you know anyone who has gone through the masters program? What are their thoughts? What made you want to apply there and did you apply anywhere else?

Good luck to you!

Same here, I'm having a hard time finding others applying to int'l dev programs as well, especially Brandeis to speak on the experience, so glad to find this thread!

I think once I learn accepted/rejected on Brandeis, I'll be able to visit and would be happy to share thoughts on my visit, since your a bit further! I unfortunately don't have any references for applying, and was hoping someone on this thread would be able to speak about it b/c I'd love to hear their thoughts and experience! I was really set on applying at Brandeis bc of their flexibility and balance with theoretical approach and practicum experience in the SID program, I really liked the option to spend the entire second year in an internship or at Brandeis. I also previously worked for a year in international ed in Ghana and Brandeis has a partnership for students to do summer internships at an NGO in Ghana, so that was a big part of my decision as well.

Our lists of schools look a bit similar, I applied to Georgetown and American as well, along with UPitt's GSPIA, UofMinnesota and Clark University (accepted).

What did you like most about the Brandeis program? I'm so interested to hear back, I hope decision comes March 1st!

Good luck Katrun and let me know how Brandeis turns out for you!!

Good luck as well and if you visit please tell me your thoughts. I love the breadth and depth focus on ethics and practical. The option to spend the whole second year in a developing country is such a great opportunity and makes the education so much cheaper, because you only pay fees the second year and not tuition. I worry a bit about not being in DC, but I don't know. At this point I am kind of just waiting to hear from everywhere and then make decisions. I have options to stay in Haiti for as long as I want working so if I don't feel good about my choices for the fall I may just stay here. 

If you do find anyone who graduated from Brandeis let me know. I know someone who did there undergrad their and played on the soccer team. She enjoyed it and said it is a really small school. 

I don't know. I guess it is just waiting and seeing at this point. 

Anyone hear from Brandeis yet? I got an email a while back saying if you applied by January 15 you should hear March 1. This seems weird to me as it is a Saturday and I assume no one is sending out those emails today.

Haven't heard, was thinking the same...I feel like we'll find out this coming week, since we haven't heard already! Relieved to hear I'm not alone in still waiting...

I was just about to send you the same...I haven't heard anything :( I'm worried now, but I guess my application was complete with transcripts and everything on 1/17 so it's been just over 6 weeks, I could be waiting a few more weeks. When was your application complete?

January 7, so 8 weeks is today for me. I am going to send an email and ask if I don't hear anything by the end of today. 

The waiting is killing me. I got rejected from a program yesterday at another school but "unofficially" and they asked me to switch my application to a program they thought was a better fit. So now my application has gone to a different committee and the waiting starts again haha. 

Hmmm, I double-checked their sites and they said 4-6 weeks on the applicant status page and 6-8 weeks via email! Let me know what you find out via email.

Wow really interesting about your "better fit" status, I'm glad to hear universities consider that, but the waiting game is so painful!! I just continue to think in a month from now (which seems like forever at the moment) I should know all my statuses. Hoping for great news for you!!

Thank you! Same for you. I keep thinking the same thing. I just want to be able to sort out my life despite the decisions on my applications haha! You are right only a month.

Have you heard from either American or Georgetown? I'm not expecting to hear anything from them until mid-March but am curious if you had heard anything? Glad to have someone in the same situation during all of this, makes things a bit less stressful!!

What program did you apply to at Georgetown? Georgetown is the one who emailed me and asked me to switch my application. I haven't heard a peep out of American or George Washington. Tufts and JH at least notified where they were in the application process. 

Congrats pep mocha, that's fantastic!! Just curious, when did you apply to Brandeis? I also got into Clark IDCE last week, but that's the only school I've heard from so far! Any thoughts on your decision?

I heard today via email. I was accepted and am now deciding between Brandeis for sustainable international development and Clark IDCE. Any thoughts on this?

Congratulations!!!  Did you visit Brandeis? I didn't apply to Clark and I don't know anything about it so I don't feel like I have an opinion to offer. 

If you don't mind me asking, how many years of work experience did you have after undergrad?

I hope lala1640 and I hear good news today!

Hey guys, 

I am very glad to see the discussion in this thread. I was accepted by the Heller's SID program earlier today. I submitted my application on Jan 13 and my application was completed on Jan 17. If you plan to visit Brandeis in the coming months, I really looking forward to hearing from your comments regarding this program.

Just the same reason with you, I was drawn to the SID program at Heller because its option on second year (advanced study or internship). I really like SID's practitioner-oriented curriculum. Moreover, the second year's option makes the program affordable to me. 

My little concern regarding SID is its job placement. As far as I know, the SID admits many applicants from developing countries and the students usually go back to their countries for developing work. (I am from a developing country as well). However, I plan to work for a few years in the NGO sectors in US. I am worried that Heller's name is not big as some DC schools. Location is another concern. I think there are not many international NGOs based in Boston. (correct me if what I said was wrong.) Btw, I got the rejection from Georgetown's Global Human Development Program which has only a 20 people cohort. I also applied SAIS's MA, UCSD'S IRPS and Emory's Master in Development Practice program. I believe I will get the results next week. 

I understand waiting is really painful. Good luck to Katrun and lala1640. Hope to hear the good news from all of you in the coming days. 

Hey guys, 

I am very glad to see the discussion in this thread. I was accepted by the Heller's SID program earlier today. I submitted my application on Jan 13 and my application was completed on Jan 17. If you plan to visit Brandeis in the coming months, I really looking forward to hearing from your comments regarding this program.

Just the same reason with you, I was drawn to the SID program at Heller because its option on second year (advanced study or internship). I really like SID's practitioner-oriented curriculum. Moreover, the second year's option makes the program affordable to me. 

My little concern regarding SID is its job placement. As far as I know, the SID admits many applicants from developing countries and the students usually go back to their countries for developing work. (I am from a developing country as well). However, I plan to work for a few years in the NGO sectors in US. I am worried that Heller's name is not big as some DC schools. Location is another concern. I think there are not many international NGOs based in Boston. (correct me if what I said was wrong.) Btw, I got the rejection from Georgetown's Global Human Development Program which has only a 20 people cohort. I also applied SAIS's MA, UCSD'S IRPS and Emory's Master in Development Practice program. I believe I will get the results next week. 

I understand waiting is really painful. Good luck to Katrun and lala1640. Hope to hear the good news from all of you in the coming days. 

I can second everything you said. All the positives you spoke of are the same for me. You concerns are also my concerns. I love that the class is constructed of mostly students from developing countries. I believe that provides such a unique opportunity to learn from them, although it does make it harder for Americans to get into the program. I am still waiting to hear. 

I think SAIS should let us know next week, hopefully at least!