Brandeis The Heller School

Katrun

I submitted to Brandeis on 12/15/13. I graduated in 2011 so this is my third year working full time. I'm leaning towards Brandeis and think I will accept there. Clark offered me a 75% scholarship and to be an idce fellow (not totally sure what that means yet.) Brandeis offered me about 40% but its proximity to Boston, second year option, and ranking make me think its the way to go.  I'll probably go to the student day later this month. Good luck to those still waiting and hope to see some of you at the student day.

I submitted to Brandeis on 12/15/13. I graduated in 2011 so this is my third year working full time. I'm leaning towards Brandeis and think I will accept there. Clark offered me a 75% scholarship and to be an idce fellow (not totally sure what that means yet.) Brandeis offered me about 40% but its proximity to Boston, second year option, and ranking make me think its the way to go.  I'll probably go to the student day later this month. Good luck to those still waiting and hope to see some of you at the student day.

Thanks for the info! Let me know your thoughts after the student day if you would. There is no feasible way for me to attend unfortunately. 

Hey everyone, 

I applied to Heller SID on 3rd Feb, accepted 12th March. 

2 years of development work-ex. 70% scholarship. 

Now trying to decide between Cornell CIPA (no $) and Brandeis ($). 

Any thoughts? Does anyone know how SID graduates do in the job market? Does anyone from SID end up at IMF/WB/U.N? 

Thanks!

I am a graduate of Brandeis' Heller School for Social policy. Although i didn't pursue my MA in SID (sustainable international development), i was classmate with several students from the program and took several elective courses from that particular department. My assessment is as follows: the SID is a good program for those who have a previous development experience and who are interested to develop their theoretical foundation through formal classwork. The professors are expert in their respective fields, and they enjoy more or less a good reputation in whatever research tehy pursue.

Heller as a school is characterized by a high number of international students, which makes it one of the highly diversified schools across campus. I liked the friendly atmosphere and the good bond among the students, which makes it much easy to whether otherwise a busy course load. Depending on your expectations, some courses are good, some are average, but overall, Heller provides a safe space for student participation which enriches the learning environment even further. I heard some of my classmates complain about the highly interactive method used in the classroom and the high load of papers due each semester. But overall, i liked the class environment and the setting of Heller. The school is well equipped with all facilities that the student need (cafeteria, prayer room, auditorium, computer lab, a cosy lounge, terasse, and many classrooms, in addition to a school library). 

For the curriculum, you could choose your concentration early on, or focus on taking classes that meet your needs, but overall, there are both core and elective courses, and you could choose from a high range of them depending on availabiliy (now this is what you need to check with the school because to my knowledge several professors take semester sabaticals to focus on research or book writing; it would be good to plan your course work in advance if you can). When you enroll you have the right to sit in the classes during the 'trial period', so you get a feel of what the course is, and the expectations. In fact, it's not always helpful, but it's still worthy to talk to the professor before you decide to take the course. 

Generally, you spend the first year in residence, taking classes, while you spend the second one doing your practicum (or field research). Guidelines for that are provided by the school early on, but it is the total responsibility of the student to fetch for the organization where they need to do their practicum. Professors are generally responsive and are good with mentoring, although some of them might not be. 

As far as other sides of Brandeis, it's  small campus, but an active one. Yes, it's true that Heller can be a liberal school but i am not sure about the others. It would be hard to make that kind of judgement. I personally liked the diversity of this campus. It's by the way situated in Waltham, and there are plenty of transportation available to take you from school to waltham (they run free shuttles from 7 am till 2 am) and from brandeis to boston (via the 553 bus, 70/70A bus, and the commuter rail to boston north station).

That was just to comment about the person who said that Brandeis was located in the middle of nowhere - actually that's not the case! it's very accessible). There are alos plenty of shopping centers around it (the closest and most accessible of which is the Arsenal-Watertown mall).  

Thanks Suze2013, 

Extremely helpful! Do you know anything about placements? Can anyone comment on how well do Brandeis graduates fare in: 

- International NGOs

- Multilateral based out of DC (IMF, WB etc)

- National think tanks and research organizations (aspen etc). 

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Just received my email from Brandeis - MA SID program (finally!) was accepted with a scholarship! Incredibly happy as this was my top-choice program! Will definitely be attending this fall, anyone else? Does anyone know how TA or RA work at Brandeis, if available?

Edited by lala1640

Just received my email from Brandeis - MA SID program (finally!) was accepted with a scholarship! Incredibly happy as this was my top-choice program! Will definitely be attending this fall, anyone else? Does anyone know how TA or RA work at Brandeis, if available?

lala1640: congratulations! I will attending SID this fall and looking forward to seeing you at Heller. 

Rearding the TA or RA, here are what I heard from Heller's admission office: 

"Some students are able to secure on-campus employment once they arrive for their program, however we do not provide work-study or campus employment as part of the admissions/financial aid package. Only admitted students who choose to enroll at the Heller School are eligible to apply for campus job opportunities. Any employment would be an hourly wage and would not defray tuition costs. Enrolled students must apply for available positions through the Office of Student Financial Services. Please visit theOffice of Student Financial Services website for additional information. 

It is also possible to secure a research or teaching assistantship under the direction/request of a Heller faculty member. We have limited needs and availability for assistantships, however interested students can discuss opportunities with their academic adviser once they have arrived on campus. "

Btw, anyone attended or will attend the SID's Admitted Student Days? (I noticed there are two sessions: one is on March 26, the other is on April 4)  Looking forward to hearing from your thoughts about this program.

@bleu929 congratulations to you as well!! Look forward to meeting you this fall! Thanks so much for the information on assistantships, very helpful in clarifying! Looks like I have some research to do this weekend!

I'm hoping to attend the admitted student day next Friday (pending some over the weekend flight switches) and would be happy to share my thoughts with you if I go! Also, is there already a Brandeis page for students to connect here? Congrats again, @bleu929!!

@bleu929 congratulations to you as well!! Look forward to meeting you this fall! Thanks so much for the information on assistantships, very helpful in clarifying! Looks like I have some research to do this weekend!

I'm hoping to attend the admitted student day next Friday (pending some over the weekend flight switches) and would be happy to share my thoughts with you if I go! Also, is there already a Brandeis page for students to connect here? Congrats again, @bleu929!!

@lala1640 I wish I could attend, but I am an international student and it is not convenient for me to join the admitted student day. Looking forward to your feedback. 

I am not sure about the page for admitted student to connect. I researched at the LinkedIn, there is a Heller School group there, and a SID subgroup, but I did not join them at the moment. I think there has no facebook group yet. Maybe you could ask AO regarding this. 

Congrats, @Katrun!! It seems like waiting paid off for us! For me there are a few aspects that make Brandeis my top choice:

- the two-year practicum layout: to me I saw this as the biggest pro to attending Brandeis and still do! My focus has been really to gain as much theoretical coursework in the first year then be able to apply it and start focusing on getting hired in the second year; I also think there's something to be said about saving $$$ not having to pay for a second year of grad school and having a full-year int'l internship experience

- programmatic focus: from what I can gather from others, the SID program is really focused on more discussion-oriented classes, which I really value; I was also impressed with the faculty and found a lot of support in my potential area of interest

- random factor: I participated in anational service program after college (probably like many others) and really valued that Heller has a strong partnership with my orgs and selects like-minded students with diverse, social sector backgrounds.

Just some things I thought about in my decision, I'm interested to hear what others thought as well!

Congrats on Hopkins too, @katrun, that's fantastic! Tough decisions!!

I was accepted as well with a scholarship, but Johns Hopkins is still my top choice. What makes Brandeis your top choice?

@Katrun

Congrats to you! Did SAIS offer you any scholarships?

I believe SAIS is everyone's dream school. However, I was rejected by SAIS's DC campus (to be honest, I was not attracted by SAIS Bologna). Actually I can not afford SAIS's tuition if they really admit me. It is so expensive. 

I have good vibes on Heller. Heller is more generous on scholarship and more friendly to international students. As we discussed above , the second year's option is also a attractive factor. 

I want to pursue my career in international development. Heller's reputation and its curriculum is very fit for me. As for SAIS, I think most of their graduates will go to private sectors. But DC's location is really really an advantage!

I did not get a scholarship from SAIS.

I too was attracted to Heller because of the price, but I am concerned cause I feel like it has no brand name and it isn't in DC. Also I did hear that they don't really help you secure the second year practicum option.

Have you heard otherwise?

@katrun, these are some good points! I've heard mixed reviews on the praticum search experience and am hoping to get a better sense of how it works at the admitted student day next week! As for the "it's not DC" deal, this isn't a huge concern for me, as I think (perhaps naively, I don't really know for certain!) the program, faculty backgrounds and expertise areas are an ideal fit at Brandeis, more so than other schools for my interest areas!

Good luck in your decision-making, it sounds like SAIS is a great fit for what you're looking for!!

Let me know what you think after admitted student day, I'd be happy to hear your thoughts. I think SAIS is right for me if I can just figure out how to pay for it hahaha