Jump to content
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Anyone Decided to attend Ford?


don
 Share

Recommended Posts

I'm close. It's between Ford and Duke. I'm leaning Ford though.

Last week I sent a letter begging for money (I got no funding originally) and if they give me something decent or at least show that they're willing to work with me and want me there I'll say yes. Even if they don't I still might, I'm busy thinking that scenario through right now.

BTW, speaking of letters, I sent them that letter asking for money exactly a week ago. Thought I would've heard at least something back from them by now. On Thursday I sent a copy of the letter directly to Beth Soboleski. Still nothing. :( Does this imply they're essentially not interested in me?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm close. It's between Ford and Duke. I'm leaning Ford though.

Last week I sent a letter begging for money (I got no funding originally) and if they give me something decent or at least show that they're willing to work with me and want me there I'll say yes. Even if they don't I still might, I'm busy thinking that scenario through right now.

BTW, speaking of letters, I sent them that letter asking for money exactly a week ago. Thought I would've heard at least something back from them by now. On Thursday I sent a copy of the letter directly to Beth Soboleski. Still nothing. :( Does this imply they're essentially not interested in me?

I don't think so, maybe after the 15th some funds will be available when some people decline their admission offers. Did you also inquire if they could give u in-state tuition? Also try contacting Regina Zmich, she is the Fellowship Advising Manager- 734-764-0453. Good Luck!!! It never hurts to try.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks so much for the info. I just called.

No funds till after the 15th, and even then there's no guarantees. It sounds like I do have a good chance at some funding. But it is a gamble.

GSIs sound fairly difficult to land. There were over 200 applications for 17 positions next semester. I'm really into the dual degree thing though, and that gives me a couple more opportunities to get a couple. They cover all your tuition and health care (~$17k) for quarter time (10-12 hrs a week) - more hrs means stipend money on top of the tuition waiver.

I think I'm gonna roll the dice. The dual degree options are just so wonderful for someone like me who could go for:

1. an MA in PoliSci if I decide to go for a PhD right after graduating

2. an MA in Econ if I do well in the econ/quant classes the first year and want to go for a PhD or rock the private sector after graduating

3. an MS in Enviro because the opportunities are moving that direction and it might fascinate me.

Duke is giving me some money but the amount is set in stone; it's not going up. If I get some funding and/or land a GSI for one semester out of the five I'm eligible to teach then Michigan has more options AND is cheaper than Duke.

This has been a tough decision but I think I'm closing in...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I took the plunge. I'm pretty confident it was the right decision. Not totally, but pretty. Really hope they come up with some fellowship money for me. [crosses fingers...]

See you all in Ann Arbor in the fall!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.