Fall 2015 Applicants

I wanted so badly to do my dissertation on the poetics of rap music--I got to assist my mentor at my MFA program in a lit class on hip-hop as poetry--but I was told that applying in 20th/21st C is so much more competitive. :/

Ah, but you can still research/teach it! The prof at my university who regularly offers a class on rock/alternative lyrics as poetry (and knows a staggering number of musicians of big, big groups that she gets to Skype in to the class) is a 19th century Americanist!

Edited by unræd

I wanted so badly to do my dissertation on the poetics of rap music--I got to assist my mentor at my MFA program in a lit class on hip-hop as poetry--but I was told that applying in 20th/21st C is so much more competitive. :/

hip-hop as poetry! Wow that definitely sounds like a class I would want to take! 

are we assuming implied rejections from Notre Dame then?

Too early to tell. It's safe to assume rejection only after all of their interview notices have gone out (they interview all of their finalists). Give it another day or so.

Edited by Ramus

O god, it could mean suffering for a whole month more technically speaking. Or even a fortnight more is terrible. :unsure: I hope they don't ruin my chinese new year. :rolleyes:

I share your hope! That being said, I still hope they notify BEFORE 18th of Feb. Rejection or acceptance, I just DO NOT want to spend my new year with this nausea of the unknown!

Are people serious with their "Imaginative, unprecedented research" & "groundbreaking in my field" stuff in the results postings? Is this the field we're (hopefully) going into?

I chuckled a bit about this. This applicant must be working on headier stuff than I am. But it might not kill him/her to keep some sense of perspective and humility in mind. 

Are people serious with their "Imaginative, unprecedented research" & "groundbreaking in my field" stuff in the results postings? Is this the field we're (hopefully) going into?

I had a good laugh about the hot air coming off of that one, but more power to them!

I chuckled a bit about this. This applicant must be working on headier stuff than I am. But it might not kill him/her to keep some sense of perspective and humility in mind. 

I'm actually curious to know what this 'imaginative, unprecedented research' is, and what this person's field is too.... so what's the project about? :huh:

So glad other people noticed that.... Seriously... wtf

I agree, but I suspect that humility will arrive in the first week of the program when they realize how little they actually know.

I refuse to believe that person said that with any sincerity. They must be trolling... which is particularly nasty considering the tense atmosphere at this point! 

Or perhaps I just can't comprehend someone writing that about themselves unless they looked like this...

4B6blx7l.png

Also "extremely good test scores". At first I thought he/she was being cynical, until I reached the 4 languages part.

Also "extremely good test scores". At first I thought he/she was being cynical, until I reached the 4 languages part.

and the way they phrased the 4 languages part makes it sound like they aren't fluent in ANY language.....which is going to make a PhD program in ENGLISH kind of difficult if you ask me....

I refuse to believe that person said that with any sincerity. They must be trolling... which is particularly nasty considering the tense atmosphere at this point! 

Or perhaps I just can't comprehend someone writing that about themselves unless they looked like this...

4B6blx7l.png

I have run out of positive vibes, but this was just what I needed. :D

This is amazing hahahahaha.

Also something seemed fishy to me because if I remember Vanderbilt doesn't require the subject test....so why would they have bragged about subject test scores?

They probably sounded ridiculous (I can't even find the comment you're talking about?), but you guys are really sounding nasty right now.

I'll just go ahead and step out on a limb and say you absolutely need to stop focusing so hard on the results page. It's not healthy, and I honestly don't think it's helpful. When you get accepted, you will be notified. If you are rejected, you will be notified. There is no reason this thread should be manhandled into such an extensive discussion of what some anonymous commenter said on the internet.

I wish this were the case, but we've already seen this untethered egotism hinted at in a couple of the entries in the Google Doc that was started up.

Edit:...which were subsequently deleted.

Edited by Ramus

They probably sounded ridiculous (I can't even find the comment you're talking about?), but you guys are really sounding nasty right now.

I'll just go ahead and step out on a limb and say you absolutely need to stop focusing so hard on the results page. It's not healthy, and I honestly don't think it's helpful. When you get accepted, you will be notified. If you are rejected, you will be notified. There is no reason this thread should be manhandled into such an extensive discussion of what some anonymous commenter said on the internet.

no one is focusing---just amused! life is funny.

"

• Unofficial email from DGS. SLAC. Extremely good GRE/subject test scores. Imaginative, unprecedented research. Clear research goals. Several conferences, one publication. Four languages (but I explicitly said I was nowhere near fluent in any of them). I waited a couple of years after undergrad before applying (my writing sample has nothing to do with my undergraduate work)."

Someone made a joke about this person not being able to speak English.... That's an awful territory.

no the joke was that their bad/pompous phrasing IMPLIED they couldn't speak ANY language (I don't know anyone who isn't proficient in at least ONE language.) then the assumption was drawn that one should also be somewhat fluent in English to study it, despite what the phrasing implied....never actually entertained that as a real possibility.

Edited by goldfinch1880

It doesn't come off as nasty to me, but it's possible. I don't think anyone who is stuck in the limbo of waiting is necessarily sane, whether they check the results forum or not.

Aside from that, hubris in all it's forms is probably something we should all be careful about. I apologize though if what I said came off as snarky in any way, it wasn't my intent. I think we're all in for wake up calls in grad school.

I certainly have no interest in GC returning to the nastiness of yesteryear, but I don't think that means we can't note when someone is being pretentious or arrogant. 

Edit to add: It's a tense time for everyone. I just think that those who are experiencing a lot of early success with acceptances need to be mindful of how they convey that success. For those that are still waiting for a first acceptance, posts like the one being discussed can come off as especially uppity, even if that wasn't the poster's intent. 

Edited by Ramus