Fall 2015 Applicants

Agree. I went through 60 pages of the results for English today. 

I've been there...

Now I'm there.... ugh. Thanks jhefflol :P

I still find it super weird that this year's GC cohort is super small...I thought that maybe once applications ended, more people would come out of the dark...I guess not...

Many orders of magnitude smaller. This time last year, the previous cohort's thread was at 61 pages! We're at 23. Still so strange. Maybe they were just much chattier in general... or I guess, if some anecdotal evidence is to be believed, many are choosing to steer clear of TGC nowadays.

So this may or may not brighten y'alls mood today. But 2015 is the Chinese year of the goat. If you all were born in a goat year (like me!) then 2015 is your lucky year! And not only that, the month of Feb is supposed to be extra special! Now I am not a superstitious person. But if some ancient Chinese mystic tradition tells me that the month when all the decisions come out is auspicious then I will bank on that haha!! We all know that admissions decisons are a crapshoot and a little bit of good luck never hurt anybody. So try and stay optimistic and hope for the best :)

Wishing you all the best of luck!

So this may or may not brighten y'alls mood today. But 2015 is the Chinese year of the goat. If you all were born in a goat year (like me!) then 2015 is your lucky year! And not only that, the month of Feb is supposed to be extra special! Now I am not a superstitious person. But if some ancient Chinese mystic tradition tells me that the month when all the decisions come out is auspicious then I will bank on that haha!! We all know that admissions decisons are a crapshoot and a little bit of good luck never hurt anybody. So try and stay optimistic and hope for the best :)

Thank you so much for those words...who knew it would get this difficult AFTER the applications were sent in?

I'm totes a goat. Yeeeaaahhh!

I wonder whether some schools other than maybe Rutgers could have experienced a reduction (if only small) in its applicant pool size...

Hm, Emory said that they've had upwards of 170 applicants this year--but they don't have any info on the website about rates from past years.

Here are the statistics from Northwestern: 136 less people applied to the program two years ago versus five years ago (376 vs 240), which is definitely a steep dip.

I've been surprised at how few--yes, few--applications some programs get. I always had the impression that every school got 300+, that being on the low end. I was pleasantly surprised with UCSB's relatively few applicants, but a little bothered by the discrepancy between in-state and out-of-state acceptance rates. I wonder if in-state preference is very common, or if this is just kind of an isolated case of the UC system favoring their own.

PhD programs are supposed to be my ticket far far away!

I've heard that many programs seem to be getting smaller numbers of applicants this year, but I'm not sure where people are getting this information; do some schools make their numbers public this early? If it is true, I'm not sure whether to take it as a good sign or a bad sign. I suppose it could increase your chances or severely limit them depending on the other applicants. 

I applied to Fordham's MA program and they reduced their application fee to $35, which I found curious. In the back of my mind I wondered if it could be because they weren't getting many applicants. All of my other programs cost at least $80+ per application.

I've been surprised at how few--yes, few--applications some programs get. I always had the impression that every school got 300+, that being on the low end. I was pleasantly surprised with UCSB's relatively few applicants, but a little bothered by the discrepancy between in-state and out-of-state acceptance rates. I wonder if in-state preference is very common, or if this is just kind of an isolated case of the UC system favoring their own.

PhD programs are supposed to be my ticket far far away!

I knew UCSB was highly protectionistic in physics (there were ~150 international applicants and only 2 admits in that batch one year, don't remember which one though) but I have no clue as far as domestic OOS vs. in-state is concerned in that program...

I'm a tigery ox, so no luck for me either, but I was born in February, so maybe I can get a bit of Chinese zodiac love anyway?

*goes back to watching Gossip Girl*

I love you for this! Currently nearing the end of my rewatchathon!

Edited by Katla

BUFFY. Enough said.

Oh, I'm all on board with that.

MORE ASTROGRAPHICAL PREDICTIONS TO HELP YOU DECIPHER THE FUTURE AND FIGURE OUT IF HARVARD ACCEPTED YOU WITH A 50K STIPEND.

It's not looking good, I've eaten way too little meat to live out a fortuitous January...

Seriously, I think the stress of the the application process has sent me into the WORST binge of mindless TV of my entire life. I watched NINE seasons of Grey's Anatomy over Christmas break, and every Gordon Ramsay show I could possibly get my filthy hands on.

I moved on to Gossip Girl last night because I'd never seen it before, and ended up watching five consecutive episodes before falling asleep with little Serena van der Woodsens dancing around my head.

I just woke up. Its nearly 5:30 pm. I was supposed to work this morning, but I had terrible nightmares all night and woke up with a migraine which put me in no condition to wait tables in a loud, cramped craftsman house. I'm clearly handling this whole waiting thing well!

...so...I just got accepted into one of my programs today! I just wanted to let you all know (since you have all been part of this excruciating process), and I am super excited! I think the program is a great fit. Just FYI, I applied to both English and Am. Studies programs, so these programs notify at different times.

It's crazy, because I just submitted my last application 2 days ago...and have already heard back from the first program I applied to. Ahhh! I'm super excited!! I don't know what to do with myself now...gughhgsggdjh