Fall 2015 Applicants

Unrelated to last few posts, but jeez, the stats on a lot of the admits so far are pretty intimidating.

I was thinking the same thing! I know that common GC wisdom is that GRE scores don't matter too much, but small sample size aside, it IS interesting to see such high figures in that regard...

Of course, my (good-but-not-great) GRE scores are the weakest part of my application, so it stands to reason that this would start to worry me ever so slightly... :unsure:

So it seems Ohio state posted acceptances today. Since I am not one of them (and this was a program that seemed "realistic") i am starting to feel pretty bleak about my application season. I've already decided to not chase good money after bad and do another round of apps. I turn 34 next month and it feels pretty now or never. I can't help but believe my undergrad performance (despite perfect grad gpa) has sunk me. Feeling very low and regretful. The tears in my late night snack! I know it's early in the season but this does not bode well!

On 1/20/2015 at 11:25 PM, morristr said:

So it seems Ohio state posted acceptances today. Since I am not one of them (and this was a program that seemed "realistic") i am starting to feel pretty bleak about my application season. I've already decided to not chase good money after bad and do another round of apps. I turn 34 next month and it feels pretty now or never. I can't help but believe my undergrad performance (despite perfect grad gpa) has sunk me. Feeling very low and regretful. The tears in my late night snack! I know it's early in the season but this does not bode well!

Hey, I realize that this is a tempting emotion to feel, and is the most natural reaction you could have to this situation, but, to be sure, English admissions are not easy to gauge nor are they easy to predict. There was someone on these forums last year who got into Duke and Uconn. I very much doubt that that person predicted that their situation would cash out in that way. Moreover, you have a very well-rounded list. So OSU didn't take you--this doesn't mean that UPenn, or WUSTL or A&M, will reject you in the future. This in no way reflects on your abilities as a scholar, or the achievements you have managed in grad school. You are, it seems obvious to me and I figure many people on this forum, a dedicated and smart candidate. 

Commiseration time from a fellow likely-reject of OSU (seriously tied as my top choice). It seems like I'm in a pretty similar situation (not great ug and first grad degree GPA, fantastic current grad GPA, just okay GREs, and over thirty). Don't give up hope just yet, though! This is my second app cycle in three years. I was fully shut out last time and have at least one acceptance at the moment, so there's definitely still time/hope. Good luck, and happy thoughts!

First, congrats to all the early admits! That's so exciting!

To those of you freaking out about the amazing stats of those admitted: Not all of the acceptance stats so far have been amazing (no offense to the accepted) whether in English or other humanities or even social science fields. Some were amazing, but others were not amazing. If anything the results board shows that it's just as much about fit and potential so long as your numbers are in the ballpark.

First, congrats to all the early admits! That's so exciting!

To those of you freaking out about the amazing stats of those admitted: Not all of the acceptance stats so far have been amazing (no offense to the accepted) whether in English or other humanities or even social science fields. Some were amazing, but others were not amazing. If anything the results board shows that it's just as much about fit and potential so long as your numbers are in the ballpark.

As my 161 V attests...

On 1/20/2015 at 11:25 PM, morristr said:

From other students I know from my own school (a large public college) English admits are widely unpredictable. Last year I had a friend get in to UPenn and Columbia, but was rejected from OSU, WUSTL, Michigan, and Temple. Everyone has a different journey, but try and stay positive.

Not to mention that schools often roll out admissions over a few days (or more). My app status for WashU still says pending; until I've been told that I have been rejected, I still believe I have a chance at acceptance. And then there are always wait lists.

Don't give up! It's early days yet. I know when I was applying for MFA programs, there were plenty of people who were passed over by lower tier programs who were then accepted by higher tier programs. It's such a crap-shoot, it really is. And until you get the NO THANKS WE DON'T WANT YOU notices from all of your schools, there's always still hope, whether an outright acceptance or a waitlist spot.

Two years ago, I was not among the first admits to Ohio State. And yet, I would end up being accepted into five other PhD programs and wait listed at Ohio State. So hope is not lost! Especially not this early. I don't think I got my first admit until mid-February. 

Sorry grad cafe! I had too many hoppy beers last night and posted some sorry stuff! I really appreciate the encouraging responses. I think I might stay away from the results board for a while though.... It seems to promote panic attacks and depressive behaviors on my part!

fancypants don't give up hope at all. Hardly any programs have started notifying yet. 

Thanks so much for this! I've been good about keeping my anxiety in check over the last few weeks but it just hit me yesterday. If this is how I am now at the end of January I don't even know what I'll be like throughout February. Luckily I won't have to teach until March...

Thanks so much for this! I've been good about keeping my anxiety in check over the last few weeks but it just hit me yesterday. If this is how I am now at the end of January I don't even know what I'll be like throughout February. Luckily I won't have to teach until March...

Knowing that we have quite a few programs in common and looking at past years notification dates, we won't be receiving any notice until earliest Feb 1! 

On 1/16/2015 at 8:31 AM, HesseBunuel90 said:

HyperVodka: Was there anything unusual about your application, or did you apply to special fellowships?

I have to revisit this question, because I was completely wrong the first time around. I didn't apply to any fellowships personally, but the DGS is considering applying for a fellowship on my behalf, and the due date is at the tail-end of January, so he needed to contact me early. I'm not sure, but I don't believe all of the decisions have gone out.

It's so incredibly early in the season. Anything can happen. I got into Duke and UCONN and was shut out of 12 other programs. Nobody knows where the cards will fall. Don't give up hope!

Knowing that we have quite a few programs in common and looking at past years notification dates, we won't be receiving any notice until earliest Feb 1! 

OK, will try to hang in there for a few more weeks...

BTW, love the new picture---love Foucault!

I just wanted to jump in and say that though OSU does tend to accept many folks relatively early, I do know people in my cohort who were notified later. I also know some people were initially waitlisted. And there are certain fellowship requirements that might contribute to some people being notified earlier than others. 

I say all this to point out that there's still plenty of time, so hope is not lost :)

Hello! I'm new to GradCafe and am applying to a combination of English and Am. Studies PhD programs for the fall. I already know that it's going to be an uphill struggle, as I'm going right from a B.A. to a PhD, but I'm trying to remain optimistic. Best of luck to everyone! 

Hello! I'm new to GradCafe and am applying to a combination of English and Am. Studies PhD programs for the fall. I already know that it's going to be an uphill struggle, as I'm going right from a B.A. to a PhD, but I'm trying to remain optimistic. Best of luck to everyone!

Welcome! I'm in the same boat. What programs are you applying to?

I listed them in my signature (like it looks like many people do), but I applied to a bunch of programs in the East Coast/Northeastern region. I will say it's heartening to see so many people having applied to 10+ schools. I was worried 10 was too much! Congrats on your acceptances already. 

I listed them in my signature (like it looks like many people do), but I applied to a bunch of programs in the East Coast/Northeastern region. I will say it's heartening to see so many people having applied to 10+ schools. I was worried 10 was too much! Congrats on your acceptances already.

Haha sorry! I'm on the mobile version, so I can't see your signature. Awesome! I personally love the east coast.

From other students I know from my own school (a large public college) English admits are widely unpredictable. Last year I had a friend get in to UPenn and Columbia, but was rejected from OSU, Michigan, and Temple. Everyone has a different journey, but try and stay positive.

yes, this happens all the time!

easier said than done, but keep your heads up, folks  :)

Edited by jazzyd

Welcome! I'm in the same boat. What programs are you applying to?

May I join this happy group of B.A.s to PhDs? I was advised not to hang around the forums till all my applications were in, but the last professor submitted the last recommendation yesterday. 

It's nice to meet you guys/read your forum posts! Are there any other B.A.s going for the PhD in Rhet/Comp?

Oh, I didn't know we weren't supposed to hang around the forums if our applications were incomplete. Still waiting on a prof's recommendation for 3 programs, but everything else is done...

Sillyrabbit, didn't mean to come off as rude. :) I'm applying to English programs at Columbia, Princeton, WashU, Rutgers, Harvard, Cornell, UPenn, and CUNY, and Am. Studies programs at Yale and Brown.