Fall 2015 Applicants

1) have you logged in yet? Mine is still listed as "submitted" but I assume that's where the decision WOULD be?

2) is your SOP not visible?? I know I submitted mine but it's not showing up anymore.

Yes, mine still shows as submitted.

Someone else mentioned recently that they couldn't see their SOP either. I'm pretty sure the SOP always just showed up as "Other" in the additional documents.

Looks like an acceptance is up for Vanderbilt, though has already been declined...

Wow. Whoever declined already deserves all the clapping. Very nice of them to let the department notify the next candidate early and super nice for that lucky applicant! 

(I'd kill to go to Vanderbilt... I mean, come on, to work with Leah Marcus...!)

Wow. Whoever declined already deserves all the clapping. Very nice of them to let the department notify the next candidate early and super nice for that lucky applicant! 

(I'd kill to go to Vanderbilt... I mean, come on, to work with Leah Marcus...!)

Leah Marcus would be awesome to work with, though I get the sense that she's moved past the textual studies stuff she was doing in the 90s and early 2000s. Too bad, as I would love to see more work like Unediting the Renaissance, which I thought was fantastic. 

Re: Ohio State...

As another OSU-limboer, I'm expecting to hear next week (personally, I'm thinking a waitlist would be a best case scenariot). Last cycle they sent first-round acceptances around the same time they did this year. If that trend continues, then the rest of the decisions would come out the first week of February.

I believe a wave of wait lists also traditionally goes out around the time when the department finds out the results of the university-wide fellowship competition (February 16th this year, as I was informed in an email today), if past years are any indication. They also said they're expecting a cohort of around 20 (10 MA/10 BA), if that helps. I am not sure how many people have already been accepted at this point though.

Edited by thepriorwalter

Looks like an acceptance is up for Vanderbilt, though has already been declined...

Not sure if they send their acceptance emails out in bulk or not. If so, then it looks like another miss for me. :unsure:

Maybe this first acceptance received a really prestigious fellowship and was notified in advance? That's my story and I'm sticking to it, until Monday at least! Vanderbilt has such an amazing program and it would be a dream to live in Nashville. Fingers crossed for all of us.

Maybe this first acceptance received a really prestigious fellowship and was notified in advance? That's my story and I'm sticking to it, until Monday at least! Vanderbilt has such an amazing program and it would be a dream to live in Nashville. Fingers crossed for all of us.

It's possible...and you're right. I'm being premature in my assumption that I'm not getting in there. I have to admit though, after a full day of being happy about all the good news, my hopes crashed pretty hard last night and I wound up just going to bed instead of "wallowing in my own confused and insecure delusions" (an upvote to anyone who correctly guesses that quote without Googling).

This process really takes its toll.

It's possible...and you're right. I'm being premature in my assumption that I'm not getting in there. I have to admit though, after a full day of being happy about all the good news, my hopes crashed pretty hard last night and I wound up just going to bed instead of "wallowing in my own confused and insecure delusions" (an upvote to anyone who correctly guesses that quote without Googling).

Hang in there! I can so relate to your sentiments, I also ended the day in despair in the wee hours of the morning post-interview. My brain has been all sorts of fried and slower than usual...but telling myself that I will reset it on Monday...

I completely agree WT. I think it's just the nature of both this process and the human mind. In the daytime things always look better, but at night the creeping self-doubt starts. I had a pretty rough night of sleep myself, but it's now daytime and I'm telling myself (and you by extension!) that it really is still early days.

Also, I believe that's from 46 & 2 by Tool ;)

I completely agree WT. I think it's just the nature of both this process and the human mind. In the daytime things always look better, but at night the creeping self-doubt starts. I had a pretty rough night of sleep myself, but it's now daytime and I'm telling myself (and you by extension!) that it really is still early days.

I hadn't thought about that, but you're absolutely right -- things are always rosier in the daytime! I was so glum last night that my dear wife said "Take the bed. I'll sleep on the couch." (We do have a long and comfy couch, but still!)

And good call on the quote. Not very "literary" of me, I suppose, but that has remained one of my favorite albums since the late nineties.

I'm checking for cornell comp lit things every 10 mins <_<:unsure::ph34r::wacko:

I like how much talk of bad brains, converge and now TOOL there has been on this thread lately. I wonder if the English department of the future might offer classes on post-hardcore studies.

Hahaha, that would be awesome. We are the future! :)

I like how much talk of bad brains, converge and now TOOL there has been on this thread lately. I wonder if the English department of the future might offer classes on post-hardcore studies.

My original background is actually in music production -- I got a fairly useless vocational degree in it twelve years ago, and spent a few years trying to carve out a career as a music producer. As a result, my interest in music occasionally spills over into my discussions of literature, even though the latter has been my undeniable / firm / no-doubt-about-it career interest for many years now.

It IS nice to see a few folks recognizing these bands and lyrics though. I had a feeling that my enjoyment of dark and heavy music was quite an anomaly, given my academic interests...

My original background is actually in music production -- I got a fairly useless vocational degree in it twelve years ago, and spent a few years trying to carve out a career as a music producer. As a result, my interest in music occasionally spills over into my discussions of literature, even though the latter has been my undeniable / firm / no-doubt-about-it career interest for many years now.

It IS nice to see a few folks recognizing these bands and lyrics though. I had a feeling that my enjoyment of dark and heavy music was quite an anomaly, given my academic interests...

I love music, only I'm actually tone deaf and useless. but I love music a lot, and when I'm sad, only music can cheer me up. Though -- radiohead, blur up to 13... and bach? :huh: Tool is awesome though, even though I'm not into that scene

That's one thing I will say: I never had a scene. There's a fairly diverse range of music that I like, ranging from solo piano to hardcore punk/metal, and I often find that if there are two bands that are supposed to be very "similar" musically, I might really like one, and dislike the other.

But to bring this thread back around ("Saturn comes back around..." BAD, WT...BAD), it would be interesting to consider courses that examine the interrelationship between music and literature, whether from direct influence (like U2's "The Ground Beneath Her Feet" named for Rushdie's novel), or more tenuous connections ("Sympathy For the Devil" after Bulgakov's The Master and Margarita, for instance). Art in general -- even popular "art" -- is inherently interdisciplinary. I think a lot of humanities studies are venturing in that direction anyhow, and I'm not sure if that's a particularly bad thing or not, despite my general nature as a traditionalist.

Do you think we're on the brink of hearing back from them? I might die.

The time frame I was given was a pretty vague 'in February', which starts tomorrow. So.... don't die yet!  ;)

That's one thing I will say: I never had a scene. There's a fairly diverse range of music that I like, ranging from solo piano to hardcore punk/metal, and I often find that if there are two bands that are supposed to be very "similar" musically, I might really like one, and dislike the other.

But to bring this thread back around ("Saturn comes back around..." BAD, WT...BAD), it would be interesting to consider courses that examine the interrelationship between music and literature, whether from direct influence (like U2's "The Ground Beneath Her Feet" named for Rushdie's novel), or more tenuous connections ("Sympathy For the Devil" after Bulgakov's The Master and Margarita, for instance). Art in general -- even popular "art" -- is inherently interdisciplinary. I think a lot of humanities studies are venturing in that direction anyhow, and I'm not sure if that's a particularly bad thing or not, despite my general nature as a traditionalist.

It depends. if you read up enough you can probably find them mentioning what they read. radiohead for instance -- things keep cropping up. Well No Logo was a big thing with them back then. Philip Larkin's poetry, and Thom's favorite poet is T.S. Eliot. Also Dante figures prominently, and Haruki Murakami (particularly Wind-Up Bird Chronicle wrt HTTT). There are references to Ray Bradbury too. Of course, Orwell's 1984 figures prominently. Ben Okri's The Famished Road figures prominently during their 1995 Bends period, particularly in one song (upvote for the person who can guess). But I am not sure about other bands -- the few I do listen to (I'm an old crone) -- are very forthright about recommending books and telling people what they're interested in reading -- so it is easy to trace references...

I cribbed the recommendation to read Hamsun for instance, from one Paul Banks of Interpol.... just saying. Pretty nice reading, that man does.

Speaking of, I actually have a friend from my current cohort who wrote her dissertation on lyrics studies (as in pop/rock songs, not lyrical poetry).

I'm not a big Tool fan, but I am quite a big fan of metal. \m/ I wrote a paper on Scandinavian metal once, and if I recall correctly there's a pretty big interdisciplinary metal conference that goes on in Ohio or something.

The time frame I was given was a pretty vague 'in February', which starts tomorrow. So.... don't die yet!  ;)

O god, it could mean suffering for a whole month more technically speaking. Or even a fortnight more is terrible. :unsure: I hope they don't ruin my chinese new year. :rolleyes:

Speaking of, I actually have a friend from my current cohort who wrote her dissertation on lyrics studies (as in pop/rock songs, not lyrical poetry).

I wanted so badly to do my dissertation on the poetics of rap music--I got to assist my mentor at my MFA program in a lit class on hip-hop as poetry--but I was told that applying in 20th/21st C is so much more competitive. :/