Fall 2015 Applicants

Hi everyone! After lurking around all last year and deciding not to apply last round, I've finally decided to apply to a couple middle-of-the-road Master's programs all across the country. I'm from the Mid-Atlantic East Coast and will be applying to SFSU, UWashington-Seattle, CU Boulder, and UVM. I initially planned on applying to much more competitive PhD programs, but I'm really excited about what these schools have to offer and feel confident about getting through MA program before committing to a PhD program.

I went to a fairly prestigious public state school, ranked high in general and for English Lit. Graduated with a 3.72 general GPA, around 3.8 major GPA and I wrote an honor's thesis my senior year. My GRE's were horrendous, but I'm retaking them end of October. My interests are 20th & 21st century poetry, particularly by female writers. I'd really like to delve further into feminist theory should I be accepted into one of these wonderful Master's programs and apply it to post-modern poetry/poetics. I have a greater thesis in mind, but I'd rather not bore you with the details :)  Thanks for sharing all of your info, look forward to putting it to good use this cycle!

On 9/10/2014 at 1:39 PM, portia_of_belmont said:
I looked at my end goal, and worked backward. Perhaps I was a bit snarky, but I think I'm more pragmatic than someone thinking that they'll get into, I don't know, Columbia's MA or MFA.

I'm not sure exactly why you wrote this on a forum for English students applying to a vast array of programs. It can come off as quite offensive and sour. As Wyatt politely told you above, saying that people who apply to large numbers of schools "for fun" is incredibly demoralizing and rude. I'm paying for my applications out of the scholarships that I've won just to pursue graduate study (and before I knew that I had the scholarships, had to limit myself financially because of the high price of applications), and also work full-time throughout the summer to support my education. I love what I am doing, but I don't think that being demeaning towards those of us who have lofty dreams is quite the right way to approach introducing yourself to a forum.

That being said, you sound like a very interesting person (especially with your interest in pedagogy), and best of luck in this application process! Please take care in the way that you come off, when you make comments that attack other people's desires - especially over the internet, where it can be difficult to discern facial expressions :). I'm painfully aware of my weak chances at the schools that I am applying to (despite solid grades and solid GREs, the numbers are simply against me), so rubbing salt in wounds can be harsh at this point. :unsure:

Hi everyone! After lurking around all last year and deciding not to apply last round, I've finally decided to apply to a couple middle-of-the-road Master's programs all across the country. I'm from the Mid-Atlantic East Coast and will be applying to SFSU, UWashington-Seattle, CU Boulder, and UVM. I initially planned on applying to much more competitive PhD programs, but I'm really excited about what these schools have to offer and feel confident about getting through MA program before committing to a PhD program.

I went to a fairly prestigious public state school, ranked high in general and for English Lit. Graduated with a 3.72 general GPA, around 3.8 major GPA and I wrote an honor's thesis my senior year. My GRE's were horrendous, but I'm retaking them end of October. My interests are 20th & 21st century poetry, particularly by female writers. I'd really like to delve further into feminist theory should I be accepted into one of these wonderful Master's programs and apply it to post-modern poetry/poetics. I have a greater thesis in mind, but I'd rather not bore you with the details :)  Thanks for sharing all of your info, look forward to putting it to good use this cycle!

That's super interesting - which 20th century women poets?! Are you interested in American/British/other?

Primarily American. I wrote my thesis on Sylvia Plath and her works have connected me to her contemporaries and poets who were later inspired by her work. I love Adrienne Rich, Anne Sexton, Elizabeth Bishop, Louise Gluck, and Sharon Olds. My thesis in short breadth was about Sylvia Plath's attitude toward pregnancy and motherhood in her last anthology, Ariel. There's a whole beast to explore with mother-poets, it makes my head spin in an awesome sort of way!

On 9/10/2014 at 3:06 PM, emily.rose said:

I lived in Seattle and did a summer of classes at UW. Gorgeous campus and I had some good instructors with feminist theory leanings.

Have you ever been to Boulder? Their commitment to pedagogy even at the MA level impresses me.

I think the honor's thesis should count more than the GRE. This is as someone who is a clever test taker but failed to follow through with the honors thesis. Which is more relevant to scholarship? All my jobs out of college have asked for my (really good) SATs and GREs. Scam, IMHO. I think you'd be a good asset to any program. Any foreign languages? French or German might help.

I'm not sure exactly why you wrote this on a forum for English students applying to a vast array of programs. It can come off as quite offensive and sour. As Wyatt politely told you above, saying that people who apply to large numbers of schools "for fun" is incredibly demoralizing and rude. I'm paying for my applications out of the scholarships that I've won just to pursue graduate study (and before I knew that I had the scholarships, had to limit myself financially because of the high price of applications), and also work full-time throughout the summer to support my education. I love what I am doing, but I don't think that being demeaning towards those of us who have lofty dreams is quite the right way to approach introducing yourself to a forum.

That being said, you sound like a very interesting person (especially with your interest in pedagogy), and best of luck in this application process! Please take care in the way that you come off, when you make comments that attack other people's desires - especially over the internet, where it can be difficult to discern facial expressions  :). I'm painfully aware of my weak chances at the schools that I am applying to (despite solid grades and solid GREs, the numbers are simply against me), so rubbing salt in wounds can be harsh at this point.  :unsure:

I started out in molecular bio, actually. I had kind of an odd route to the humanities. I love it, but I also think that the glut of English students is real and that the proverbial Plan B is definitely necessary. I didn't want to be a mediocre physician or research scientist (my brother on the other hand has found his niche in Chemistry -- and I know he'll be chasing the most exclusive East Coast programs he can!).

Look at Cornell's # of graduate applicants on this page in 2003 vs 2013. That's an increase by half. These kids would have been shoo-ins in my day -- 7 APs, extracurriculars, 4.0s.) It's a s***show, and I think that the most prestigious institutions prey on ambitious kids with big dreams. That's kind of another rant, though.

I think it's admirable to work and scrimp and save. I admit I may have some stereotypes of Ivy League kids getting by on their family credentials and relying on an army of tutors. 

Do you think you have any X factors that'd put you over the edge at your chosen institutions? Do you have career ins besides barista (hey if you like people I think a job is a job, but I know academia is kind of a b****). Maybe I'm just embittered that Stanford rejected me as a 16 year old. ?

There's a whole beast to explore with mother-poets, it makes my head spin in an awesome sort of way!

Kind of a shameless plug for a reputable poetry journal that is near and dear to my heart, but... Rattle recently had an issue dedicated to single parent poems, with the majority of them single mother poems. Some excellent entries there from some contemporary poets that you might be interested in checking out.

On 9/10/2014 at 4:03 PM, portia_of_belmont said:
I started out in molecular bio, actually. I had kind of an odd route to the humanities. I love it, but I also think that the glut of English students is real and that the proverbial Plan B is definitely necessary. I didn't want to be a mediocre physician or research scientist (my brother on the other hand has found his niche in Chemistry -- and I know he'll be chasing the most exclusive East Coast programs he can!).

Look at Cornell's # of graduate applicants on this page in 2003 vs 2013. That's an increase by half. These kids would have been shoo-ins in my day -- 7 APs, extracurriculars, 4.0s.) It's a s***show, and I think that the most prestigious institutions prey on ambitious kids with big dreams. That's kind of another rant, though.

I think it's admirable to work and scrimp and save. I admit I may have some stereotypes of Ivy League kids getting by on their family credentials and relying on an army of tutors. 

Do you think you have any X factors that'd put you over the edge at your chosen institutions? Do you have career ins besides barista (hey if you like people I think a job is a job, but I know academia is kind of a b****). Maybe I'm just embittered that Stanford rejected me as a 16 year old. ?

I'm kind of relying on them thinking that my proposed thesis is potentially workable; realistically, I completely understand what you're saying about having a backup plan. I'm also applying to law schools, so I hear what you say about professional realism. I started off in science as well - glad to see that you also came from the dark side! I agree though, it is a complete and utter shit show. Not to mention that the applications alone are insanely tedious! But ah well, here's to a dream

I am applying to primarily English PhD programs but also to a handful of related, more interdisciplinary programs (Am Studies, Cultural studies).  Is anyone else in the same boat?  Or, are most people applying strictly to English PhD programs?

For those of you who are applying to English PhD programs and other similar degree programs, how did you discern which program to apply to for each university?  Obviously, fit plays a big part and programs vary across the board (so research into individual programs will provide the real answer), but I am wondering if anyone has any generalized insight, as a rule of thumb.

Are English programs generally stronger, and do they offer better funding and job placement?  Are they usually more or less competitive than more interdisciplinary programs?

For schools that allow multiple applications, would you even recommend applying to more than one program?  For example, I am thinking of applying to both UMich's English program and Am. Studies program because I can see a fit for both (although if I had to pick, I would pick English).  Any insight on what effect this has on the application?

Thanks for reading, and any advice would be much appreciated!

I am applying to primarily English PhD programs but also to a handful of related, more interdisciplinary programs (Am Studies, Cultural studies).  Is anyone else in the same boat?  Or, are most people applying strictly to English PhD programs?

For those of you who are applying to English PhD programs and other similar degree programs, how did you discern which program to apply to for each university?  Obviously, fit plays a big part and programs vary across the board (so research into individual programs will provide the real answer), but I am wondering if anyone has any generalized insight, as a rule of thumb.

Are English programs generally stronger, and do they offer better funding and job placement?  Are they usually more or less competitive than more interdisciplinary programs?

For schools that allow multiple applications, would you even recommend applying to more than one program?  For example, I am thinking of applying to both UMich's English program and Am. Studies program because I can see a fit for both (although if I had to pick, I would pick English).  Any insight on what effect this has on the application?

Thanks for reading, and any advice would be much appreciated!

One of my best friends just finished her dissertation for UMich's English PhD. I can get you her contact info if you'd like.,

Look at Cornell's # of graduate applicants on this page in 2003 vs 2013. That's an increase by half. 

Welcome!

While keeping both the abysmal nature of the academic job market and the ridiculously low admission rates of highly-ranked programs in mind can only ever be a good thing, those Cornell statistics are perhaps not the best illustration of it. They show a 50% increase in graduate applications overall, sure, but if you look at the breakdown at that link the vast majority of the increase has been driven by applications to Cornell's MA programs--professional and otherwise. Cornell doesn't offer an MA in English; it's a direct-admit PhD school, and according to those figures applications to Cornell's PhD programs are only up 13% from 2003, not 50%.

That's still an increase--and even if applications had stayed steady, or dropped (we should be so lucky!), the dismal job prospects at the other end of the process should be enough to give applicants pause, no matter the bleak outlook for admission. But still worth clarifying!

I don't know that my experience is the norm, but I applied to mostly English programs and one American Studies program. I was accepted to the American Studies program and the English program. I can't speak to job placement, but I can say that the English program offered a much better funding package. Though a lot of that likely has to do with it being part of a much bigger department in a much bigger university than the American Studies program. I will say that the DGS of the American Studies program worked very hard to find me adequate supplemental funding, and had I chosen to go there, I believe my financial needs would have been well taken care of. However, there were some other factors (location, resources, etc.) that ultimately led to me choosing the English program.

• 4 weeks later...

I wasn't sure where to post this (boringly specific) question, but: for those applying to Harvard (English), is it still the case that a hard copy transcript needs to be sent to the GSAS, in addition to uploading a pdf to the online application? The English program website says yes, but all I can find on the GSAS website is this:

Transcripts

The Graduate School requires that you submit your application online, and that your recommenders submit letters of recommendation online. Upload your statement of purpose, transcripts, and additional academic information in the Writing Sample and Additional Academic Materials section of the application.

If nobody knows the answer, I might just have to spend hours crafting a Harvard-worthy email to someone in the admissions office...

omensetter: I didn't apply to Harvard, but I don't see the harm in just following both sets of instructions. Many programs will have different needs than the grad school themselves. Are you concerned about needing to send a hardcopy of your transcript to the department? 

Thanks proflorax and Wyatt's for your replies! You're right, I should just do both. I'm not worried, but I am international, so it's expensive to send (though not prohibitively so).

I'M INTERNATIONAL TOO AND IT'S SO EXPENSIVE, I completely echo this. The cost alone makes me worry just about the expense of applying to these schools!

Wyatt (as I already mentioned to you), you literally have been such a light through this entire process! Thanks again for keeping us all sane. (Truly.) :D

Aww shucks! Thanks Queennight. I'm always glad to help, even if it's often a combination of baseless enthusiasm, semi-informed opinion, and a dash of Polyanna optimism. ;)

a combination of baseless enthusiasm, semi-informed opinion, and a dash of Polyanna optimism. 

^ Perfect Tinder profile description ;)  

Good luck to everyone.  The application season is stressful and daunting, and I hope that all of you get offers you are happy with!

• 5 weeks later...

Hey you guys! Are any of you familiar with the steps of the Cambridge admissions process? My application just went from "under consideration by degree committee" to "under consideration by Graduate Board," which is supposedly the last step (!!) in the process of admission. But! I'm thinking the Graduate Board probably makes financial decisions - so would this be the step where they reject me if they don't have money for me? Has anyone else applied to/been accepted by a Cambridge program? I just can't figure out if I've made it through the most harrowing application step, or if I'm in the MIDDLE of it as we speak. Eep! Help!

Hmm--I can check w/ the people I know who did their Master's at Cambridge in the last few years, but surely there are others here who have more direct knowledge?

But I do know for sure that students aren't generally denied admissions for financial reasons. It's not that they won't admit applicants because there isn't funding; they're happy to admit students who'll need to rely on other funding streams. So either way the funding decision itself goes, if you're at that stage of the game this is maybe a reason for cautious optimism?

Keeping my fingers crossed for you!