Fall 2015 Applicants

I'm always reluctant to pester POIs because I feel like they can see right through it, but in this case it seems like it would be fairly appropriate. Do you think I ought to explicitly mention that I noticed she used my article, or just hope she recognizes my name? Thanks!

Now that is a good question. You might want to frame it like this: "While I was researching the program at [institution x] and your own research specifically, I happened to notice that you referenced an article of mine in one of your courses. As it happens, I have been continuing my research on [topic x], and am currently at the point of looking at graduate schools -- including [institution x] to take this research to the next level."

Or something like that. That's how I would do it, at least. There's always a fine line between coming across as obsequious and coming across as an interested prospective colleague, but so long as you keep the email geared primarily toward your research and scholarship, then it's going to be in line with what most of this professor's current colleagues send her. I think POIs see through fawning emails where a candidate goes on and on about how "I'd really love to work with you because your article on blah blah blah changed my life!" In simplest terms, don't come across as a fan, but rather someone who is on your way to becoming an equal. And ultimately, write with confidence. You're not on her level yet, but you're at least on the path to being on her level. Her path has probably been somewhat similar, and so all but the most stuffy and pretentious of professors will scoff and find it unworthy of their time to communicate with a "lowly M.A. student." I really don't think that will be the case with this POI of yours.

Completely for what it's worth, I contacted a POI at a well-regarded institution about a month ago, primarily because no other graduate students or faculty members were working on anything close to his -- and my -- research interests, so I wanted to feel out the fit of the program in general. His response was long and thorough, commending me for reaching out to him, and even going so far as to ask me to let him know when I submit my application so that he can flag it for the DGS. That was obviously far more than I had hoped or expected for when I sent the email -- I literally just wanted to get his thoughts on the department! -- but it means that for whatever it may be worth (and it may not be much), there's someone at that institution who is "in my corner," so to speak. It will probably amount to nothing, yet being noticed for one's mutual research interests certainly can't hurt. And the same will undoubtedly be true for you as well.

Edited by Wyatt's Torch

How's everyone doing? Did everyone start classes yet? 

I start tomorrow but I spent my last weekend writing abstracts for the papers I did last term and submitted them to multiple CFPS. Also, I'm asking my professors for LORs this week and just emailing them for office hour information gave me anxiety. Has anyone on here been turned down for a LOR? If so, how did you handle it? 

I start back on Thursday. It's going to be a very busy fall, but I feel pretty good about things. My SOPs are mostly done, my WS is pretty much done (pending opinions from a few people I sent it to a couple of weeks ago...), I've got a couple of applications completely under my belt, a few others started, and just need to worry about the GRE lit test next month. One of my LOR writers has uploaded his letter to a couple of my applications, so that bodes well. Beyond that, I'm just glad I had the luxury of time this summer to get most of this stuff done. It would have been far more difficult to juggle it with my coursework, that's for sure.

How's everyone doing? Did everyone start classes yet? 

I start tomorrow but I spent my last weekend writing abstracts for the papers I did last term and submitted them to multiple CFPS. Also, I'm asking my professors for LORs this week and just emailing them for office hour information gave me anxiety. Has anyone on here been turned down for a LOR? If so, how did you handle it? 

My classes start this week, and even though it will be an intense semester I am SO ready for them to begin--I keep reloading my school's course management page, waiting for syllabuses to be uploaded!

I meet w/ two of my letter writers to get their revisions to my SOP next week, and to have the one of them who's in my subfield sign off on (what hopefully it) the final draft of my WS. I haven't yet started doing any actual application filling out, and probably won't, frankly, until after I'm done w/ the GREs (and freaking out about the GREs) in early October. (Except for those programs that require complete apps before letter writers can do their thing, of course.) It's going to be a busy fall, but like WT, I'm glad I took the summer to get (at least most of) the fiddly bits out of the way. If I have to do some of the application materials while I'm in coursework, I'd rather it was form completion, and not major writing!

I've never been turned down for a letter before, but then again I've tried to mostly use profs with whom I have a good relationship, and who've already offered to write letters, as opposed to asking them cold. Were I turned down, I of course hope I'd handle it w/ grace, even though I'm sure there'd be a moment or two (followed by a cocktail or two) of self-doubt. But after all, better someone turns me down because they're not familiar enough with me, my capabilities, or my work than they say 'yes' and write a lackluster, general, 'meh' letter, right?

I start school on Thursday too! I'm so excited for OE and Latin!!!

I feel sort of simultaneously ahead and behind in terms of applications; I'm applying for the Marshall Scholarship, so I've already asked my recommenders for LORs, and got their agreement to do the same for regular grad applications. My writing sample still needs editing, though, as does my SOP, and I'm nervous about balancing study for the GRE Subject test with classes - I just finished presenting at my undergrad research conference yesterday, so there was no way I could have started this summer! I know the research looks good on my application, but I wish I'd had the extra preparation time that some of you seem to have enjoyed this summer... *envy envy* I also need to get cracking on an abstract I need to submit in October, and make about 1000 flash cards.

Hi everyone! I am new to the community and just wanted to drop in and say hi. So glad there is a community like this one where we can all share our ideas and experiences with each other.

I am just beginning the process of applying to PhD Literature programs for Fall 2015. Naturally, I am super nervous but also excited - it really seems like just yesterday that I was applying to MA programs, and I cannot forget how stressful that was. Yikes!

Best of luck to you all, and looking forward to connecting further as the months go on. 

I'm just back in full swing of school, and have (of course) a ton of reading to do. I won't be studying as much as I'd like to. I took a practice test last week and got a decidedly "average" score. Oddly enough, that didn't bother me. It did make me question the logic of the Princeton GRE book a bit, however. I wonder if I would have done better if I hadn't guessed on almost all of the questions I didn't definitively know, and had skipped them instead. POE guessing or the "skip" method? Hmm...

This year very well may be the death of me - three English classes, senior thesis (which I will use as my writing sample), advanced ceramics (art minor), two jobs, studying for both the subject test and GRE, taking both of them, and applying for grad schools. Oddly enough, it hasn't all registered in my mind that I need to focus on these rather than finish the seasons of Burn Notice. 

Yes, my guess is that we're all busy "studying" for the GRE. I'm finding that I'm doing the oddest things that seem important to avoid studying. Ugh. 

I, for one, have never had cleaner counters than I do right now.

I, for one, have never had cleaner counters than I do right now.

This sounds terrible, but I really don't know if I'm going to have time to study much more. My mid-level baseline score on the practice exam encourages me a bit, particularly since I got 82 wrong...and most of those were  "POE guess" wrong. I figure that means that without any specific studying, I could probably get 70th percentile or more, which isn't great, obviously, but it also doesn't worry me overly much.

I am going to try to study. This certainly isn't laziness talking. But I'm feeling oddly calm and confident about the subject test regardless even though it's in...

it's in...

it's...

in...

lessthanfourweeksOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG

You can only study so much for that damn exam. Study. Review. Try to sleep well the night before you take it. Overload on caffeine before walking in. Then forget it ever happened. In general, with some exceptions, the lit subject results aren't likely to make or break your application. Certain programs/graduate schools have minimum numbers for funding purposes (I believe this is more standard GRE than Subject, but don't quote me). But in general, if you have a stellar SOP and WS and letters that aren't poisonous or reveal you're crazy, you can overcome a mediocre subject score. My score was bordering abysmal, but it did not prevent me from being accepted to a few institutions.

Keep studying, but don't obsess  :)

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm applying to MA programs in the Mountain states. Here's my shortlist:

Utah State 

Utah

Wyoming

Nevada

New Mexico

I have a 3.2 GPA (It was a 3.5 before something of a nervous breakdown. I got straight As when I went back, have near-perfect GREs, even in math, and solid references.) 

I am most interested in research in American Modernists. Some of these programs require a thesis, some are more hybrid creative/lit, and some are coursework only. I don't know how informative undergrad rankings are? 

I currently live in and was raised in SLC.

Unlike the posters who apparently can apply to 14 East Coast schools for "fun," that's $700+ I don't have, and I love the Rocky Mountain states and know it's where I want to be.

Right out of school I want to teach in a private school, then would consider the PhD or a JD. 

Anyone applying to any of these schools? My first criterion is close to snowboarding!  :)

Welcome, Portia.

I guess the big question I have when I read your post is: what's your end goal? If you just want to get through it to have a MA in English, then fair enough -- the school doesn't matter too much if you just have a semi-active interest in a field, but no definitive plans to teach etc. If you're hoping to follow up MA study with Ph.D. study, it's a different story.

I'm thinking your snowboarding comment was tongue-in-cheek, but if not...well, it just doesn't sound like you're all that serious about graduate study, if I may be frank. And if you really are interested in graduate study, limiting yourself to geographical locations isn't the best idea in the world.

I must say, the idea that anyone here is applying to 14 East Coast schools for "fun" is quite insulting. There's very little "fun" involved in the process. Excitement at future prospects, sure...but it's balanced by a very real concern about getting completely shut-out. The various fees (more like $2000, by the way) are, for most of us, hard come by. There are several folks here who are having to limit themselves to a handful of programs for purely financial reasons. Those of us who are applying to a wide range of schools is often out of a desperate sense of carpe diem -- if I don't wind up getting in to any of the programs I'm applying to, I have a bleak and depressing Plan B that is so far beneath everything I've been building up to for the past few years that it would feel like a monumental failure. So no, fun's not a part of it!

That aside, American Modernism is one of the most saturated literary fields right now. The good news is that (and here is where rankings come in to the picture) because most of those schools aren't considered to be "good" or "great," there's less competition, and probably (though I'm not sure) less competition to get in. If you can explain your GPA in your SOP, you might be set. Again, though...think about why you're going, because if you have long-range academic aspirations, some of those places might not help you to get where you want to go.

On 9/10/2014 at 1:12 PM, Wyatt said:

Welcome, Portia.

I guess the big question I have when I read your post is: what's your end goal? If you just want to get through it to have a MA in English, then fair enough -- the school doesn't matter too much if you just have a semi-active interest in a field, but no definitive plans to teach etc. If you're hoping to follow up MA study with Ph.D. study, it's a different story.

I'm thinking your snowboarding comment was tongue-in-cheek, but if not...well, it just doesn't sound like you're all that serious about graduate study, if I may be frank. And if you really are interested in graduate study, limiting yourself to geographical locations isn't the best idea in the world.

I must say, the idea that anyone here is applying to 14 East Coast schools for "fun" is quite insulting. There's very little "fun" involved in the process. Excitement at future prospects, sure...but it's balanced by a very real concern about getting completely shut-out. The various fees (more like $2000, by the way) are, for most of us, hard come by. There are several folks here who are having to limit themselves to a handful of programs for purely financial reasons. Those of us who are applying to a wide range of schools is often out of a desperate sense of carpe diem -- if I don't wind up getting in to any of the programs I'm applying to, I have a bleak and depressing Plan B that is so far beneath everything I've been building up to for the past few years that it would feel like a monumental failure. So no, fun's not a part of it!

That aside, American Modernism is one of the most saturated literary fields right now. The good news is that (and here is where rankings come in to the picture) because most of those schools aren't considered to be "good" or "great," there's less competition, and probably (though I'm not sure) less competition to get in. If you can explain your GPA in your SOP, you might be set. Again, though...think about why you're going, because if you have long-range academic aspirations, some of those places might not help you to get where you want to go.

As I mentioned, I do want to teach at a private school at the middle or high school level. My undergraduate degree was in French, with a minor in English. The MA is the most common entry point for such a position (although I personally know MFAs, PhDs, BAs, and MEds in the positions I'm angling for). I myself was the top student at the top high school in my state with a full ride to a local univerity, so regionally, at least, I'm considered a strong candidate for what I want to do. A credential from Small Liberal Arts School or Insanely Expensive East Coast School may carry weight for those on the tenure track, but I think it would be neutral, if not a hindrance, in a community like Salt Lake.

I'm serious about working with kids again. I have a fairly prestigious desk job (which actually involves writing), but I want to pay it forward. Also, staying local means that I will have a shot at part-time teaching or after-school-tutoring positions, which will help me immensely as I apply to teach for 2017.

I think a huge difference between the mountain states and other places I've lived is an understanding that a personal life is not optional. The CEO of our company (JD from Harvard Law; his wife is a law professor elsewhere, kids go to the school I want to teach at) is an avid skiier. Being miserable at any point of your career is a silly proposition.

I don't think a Plan B should be seen as a failure. But maybe that's my bourgeois practicality showing. As I stated, I have flawless test scores, and went to a preppie Type A high school.Tthe fact that I even graduated in Utah, the state with the largest gap between men and women in graduation rates, means I am indeed serious about my education. 

I do want to get married in my late twenties, which may be seen as retrograde, but is very much a pragmatic decision here. (I'm no longer a practicing Mormon, if that matters? Hence my desire to move out of Utah if possible!) I've done the whole long-distance thing. It sucks.

I looked at my end goal, and worked backward. Perhaps I was a bit snarky, but I think I'm more pragmatic than someone thinking that they'll get into, I don't know, Columbia's MA or MFA. 

My lawyer got an MA from Northern Arizona, dropped out of CSU's MFA in writing program when he realized you're "waiting for your professors to die," got a job in the field, ended up acing the LSAT and going to Vermont. He uses the writing skills he honed in his Masters every day in his career.

I think there can be many paths to higher education. ? Many of my peers ended up in the most prestigious medical residencies and investment banks in the country. Almost equal numbers are SAHMs. I'm a first-generation college grad just trying to navigate stormy waters. And I think that's what state schools are really for, people like me!

Hi Portia!

I'm basically the opposite of you in that I hate snow so there's no draw for any inland universities for me. While I am applying for schools on the east coast that will have snow, I'm looking for the resources for my dissertation to outweigh the cold. 

As far as costs go, it's outrageous. I'm lucky enough to have had an education fund put away for me from when I was a child. Due to some odd circumstances, I couldn't access it until now which actually worked out in my favor.

I'm guessing you want to get your MA and that's what schools you are applying for right now, correct? Do you think you want to do a thesis or have you considered comps? 

Welcome to GC!

However writing that out made me realize that I should probably consider M.Ed. degrees more seriously. I know Westminster (a small liberal arts school, but right here in SLC!), Utah, SUU, and USU  offer them, and it may be the better fit. Worth going to their departments and seeing what they think.

It may be that an M.Ed. with an endorsement in English Literature and/or French would open the most secondary teaching options for me. Hadn't really thought about that. ? French Lit and French Teaching were separate programs at my school, and I didn't realize how much I loved kids til I tutored full-time in '11-'12.

Hi Portia.  I am also from the mountain states, north of you actually, and I would love to end up back out there, but if location is that important for you and your goal is secondary education, you would be better served by an M.Ed. if you did not complete a secondary education track during undergrad.  You have to be certified to teach in a public school (as I'm sure you know), and you can't just get that on a whim.  It takes hours of observation time, certain pedagogy courses, etc.  (I know this because I did the teaching track in addition to English and chemistry in undergrad).  Even if you want to teach at a private school, you're not guaranteed a spot there right after your MA, so being able to teach in a public school setting would open a lot more doors for you.  Several of my colleagues who have decided that academia is not right for them (some with an MA already, some who got it here after exams, and some without) have all struggled to find posts at private schools without having some secondary ed credentials.  Given that, and given that academia is not your goal, an M.Ed., especially one that would allow you to develop credentials and teaching experience for both English and French, would prepare you the most for secondary teaching.  Being able to teach two subjects would make you a much more desirable candidate in both public and private settings, though especially public.

Hi Portia.  I am also from the mountain states, north of you actually, and I would love to end up back out there, but if location is that important for you and your goal is secondary education, you would be better served by an M.Ed. if you did not complete a secondary education track during undergrad.  You have to be certified to teach in a public school (as I'm sure you know), and you can't just get that on a whim.  It takes hours of observation time, certain pedagogy courses, etc.  (I know this because I did the teaching track in addition to English and chemistry in undergrad).  Even if you want to teach at a private school, you're not guaranteed a spot there right after your MA, so being able to teach in a public school setting would open a lot more doors for you.  Several of my colleagues who have decided that academia is not right for them (some with an MA already, some who got it here after exams, and some without) have all struggled to find posts at private schools without having some secondary ed credentials.  Given that, and given that academia is not your goal, an M.Ed., especially one that would allow you to develop credentials and teaching experience for both English and French, would prepare you the most for secondary teaching.  Being able to teach two subjects would make you a much more desirable candidate in both public and private settings, though especially public.

Thanks so much! This was very helpful!

Welcome, Portia! I'm all about regional universities. Both my BA and MA are from the California State University system. I found my MA program to be a refreshing blend of people wanting to go onto PhD programs, wanting to teach at private schools, wanting to find writing/editing jobs, and just wanting to study literature. And I get the financial limitations of application season! I think your plan sounds wise, though lyoness raises an interesting possibility of applying to both M.Ed. and MA programs and seeing where your acceptances take you. Good luck! 

Welcome, Portia! I'm all about regional universities. Both my BA and MA are from the California State University system. I found my MA program to be a refreshing blend of people wanting to go onto PhD programs, wanting to teach at private schools, wanting to find writing/editing jobs, and just wanting to study literature. And I get the financial limitations of application season! I think your plan sounds wise, though lyoness raises an interesting possibility of applying to both M.Ed. and MA programs and seeing where your acceptances take you. Good luck! 

I think California is truly the leader in public education. Too bad your state government is almost as messed up as mine, but in different ways. >.<

One of my favorite mentors in undergrad was a rhetorician. I hope you found a great fit for your doctorate!