marital issues :)

Hi all,

I am an international applicant from Turkey who is planning a Sociology PhD in the US. However, I have a huge problem that weakens my chance to be admitted, actually even to apply to schools :)

The thing is that most probably next year I will be a married man. This means I have to bring another person with me. Is there any chance for my future wife to work in somewhere (she is an English teacher) because I heard that she can not get work permit? Otherwise, I think monthly stipends are not enough to meet demands of two people. Right? and Is it true that some schools pay extra stipend if you are married?

Any opinions?

Thanks in advance

Hi all,

I am an international applicant from Turkey who is planning a Sociology PhD in the US. However, I have a huge problem that weakens my chance to be admitted, actually even to apply to schools :)

The thing is that most probably next year I will be a married man. This means I have to bring another person with me. Is there any chance for my future wife to work in somewhere (she is an English teacher) because I heard that she can not get work permit? Otherwise, I think monthly stipends are not enough to meet demands of two people. Right? and Is it true that some schools pay extra stipend if you are married?

Any opinions?

Thanks in advance

actually, i don't think it will lower your chances, at least not from my experience. i got admitted this year to 2 top-ten programs and i'm getting married in July this year. i'v stated that in my apps, so i don't think it lowered my chances of admission.

about work. i'm also bringing my husband with me to the states. i requested a J-1 visa instead of the regular F-1, which will allow my husband to work as a pursue my graduate studies.

hope that helps and good luck

hi, I'm in a similar situation. I will be getting married in June. I will be accompanied by my wife. People advised me not to get a J1 visa however because it has many restrictions associated with it. We are supposed to go back to our home country for at least two years after the duration of the visa, etc. So I have decided to apply for a F1 visa and then hope to find my wife a suitable MS program so that she can change her status into F1 too once(if) she gets admitted. I see no other option.. but if you said you're going to manage on a J1, I guess it must be possible! Can you give me more info about J1 and the rules associated with it? I thought it was for visitor exchange programs.. and not for regular PhD programs.

1)where are you from?? for J1 visa - you are subject to the two-year home country residency requirement (2y HRR) only if any of these applies

a)you get money from your country or US

b)your speciality is listed as "in need" in the list of countries and specialities..

(there are some additional things for medical interns, as i remember)

if your country is not in this list and you have money from INSTITUTION (not from governmental program) - you may apply for J1 without suffering from its disadvantages.

as for me, i AM subject for the 2y HRR, but I anyway decided to apply for J1

2)may be some universities have restrictions for number of J1-visa students - some really don't care

the conclusion is - you should ask international office at your school about all these things

1)where are you from?? for J1 visa - you are subject to the two-year home country residency requirement (2y HRR) only if any of these applies

a)you get money from your country or US

b)your speciality is listed as "in need" in the list of countries and specialities..

(there are some additional things for medical interns, as i remember)

if your country is not in this list and you have money from INSTITUTION (not from governmental program) - you may apply for J1 without suffering from its disadvantages.

as for me, i AM subject for the 2y HRR, but I anyway decided to apply for J1

2)may be some universities have restrictions for number of J1-visa students - some really don't care

the conclusion is - you should ask international office at your school about all these things

I'm from India. Yes, I will ask them about this. THey've already sent me an I20 but if its possible for me to get a J1 hassle free, I would definitely prefer that!

hi, I'm in a similar situation. I will be getting married in June. I will be accompanied by my wife. People advised me not to get a J1 visa however because it has many restrictions associated with it. We are supposed to go back to our home country for at least two years after the duration of the visa, etc. So I have decided to apply for a F1 visa and then hope to find my wife a suitable MS program so that she can change her status into F1 too once(if) she gets admitted. I see no other option.. but if you said you're going to manage on a J1, I guess it must be possible! Can you give me more info about J1 and the rules associated with it? I thought it was for visitor exchange programs.. and not for regular PhD programs.

congrats!

for me f-1 was out of the question, because i want my husband to be able to work (he will go crazy sitting at home all day). although we are planning on coming back anyway after i graduate, i know that it is possible to get a waiver on the 2-year home residency restriction.

few things about f-1 and MS programs- they are very very expensive and usually without funding... with F-1 visa you can't work outside the university, so you should take that under consideration.... for us it is just not possible to fund an MS program for my husband and also not to work, so J-1 visa was better. also, with F-2 visa, it is not possible to study, so your wife will have to get admitted otherwise she will not be able to do anything while you study.

good luck!

• 1 month later...