Any news in geophysics application?

Initial J

• 2 weeks later...

Depending on where you've applied to, it might be normal that you didn't hear anything yet.

Hi,guy. We are in the exactly same program. I have been rejected by KU and CSM, nothing else. What about you?

Hi,guy. We are in the exactly same program. I have been rejected by KU and CSM, nothing else. What about you?

Not a guy...

My application still seems to be under review (stage 10, no clue what stage that is or how many stages there are to be honest). I am kinda surprised to hear you got rejected. A few people said they send out the rejections way later in April (that's why I was worried).

PS: you should post up your information to the 2014 applicants thread so people can use it as a reference. It's somewhat rude that you lurk and ask what's happening with me.

Edited by RockSniffer

No update from Rice, RICE PMP, OK, UBC, v tech, texas a and m, texas univ at austin

Rice accepted me. I sort of half-assedly filed an application literally just two days before the deadline.

I got the acceptance e-mail and offer letter about 1.5 weeks ago.

Friend got into OK and UT; i think those decisions are already out.

OK is doing something weird, I called them recently to ask about the May deadline... Apparently they do two waves of admission. If you filed your application before Jan 15, you are meant to hear sooner rejection or acceptance. The second wave happens after that.

Don't really know if this is really true.

Rice accepted me. I sort of half-assedly filed an application literally just two days before the deadline.

I got the acceptance e-mail and offer letter about 1.5 weeks ago.

With funding?

Hey, no, this is the PMP, they don't offer funding to anyone. It was (and still is) my back up plan if I don't get any acceptances from the other places I applied to.

I really caution any person in stem to go to graduate school if you have to self finance. It almost never works out the way you want it.

I really caution any person in stem to go to graduate school if you have to self finance. It almost never works out the way you want it.

What do you mean by that?

What do you mean by that?

I mean its very hard to be successful in graduate school when you are paying for it. Most people try to go in and finish as fast as possible, that never happens. Geophysicis is good in that it could lead to a reasonably paying job, but in my experience friends have taken 3-8 months to find a job after graduate school. If you are international, you are outta luck then because you have the very real possibility of being deported after you spent (or likely taken out loans) at least 50k on a degree because from my understanding you only have a 3 month grace period to find a job after you graduate. Its a huge risk. It took a graduate in my lab a about 15 interviews(maybe 60-70 applications) before he finally found a job, and that was after moving to houston.

Thats not even counting the the stress of actually completing a degree. I suppose the one really good thing about self finance is that you dont have TA/RA responsibilities, but the stress of those jobs is far less then the stress of pinching pennies and worrying about rent. Every professor I have talked to has told me that if they really wanted me at a school they would find a way to finance me. I that is true.

Edited by GeoDUDE!

Being Intl is tough on every aspect though. You can be working elsewhere, the moment you quit, it's the same. Pack your stuff and leave if you can't get anything during the "Grace period", which for some countries it's not even 90 days.

I agree with the things never go according to plan though (I was in a similar scenerio GeoDUDE was talking about, not for studying but after I quit my job). Take your time, get your funding if you can, especially if it's a PhD.

Master's... mm, it depends on what your plans are afterwards.