Anyone heard anything from MIT Brain and Cognitive Sciences?

psycholinguist

It's the one remaining wild-card amongst my applications. Not a word since they confirmed having received my application on 6 January.

They sent out interview invitations way back in February. I had emailed them to ask about my status and to ask if the procedure was the same for international students. The grad secretary confirmed that and said that I was rejected if I hadn't received an interview invitation. So I think you may safely assume that you've been rejected. They don't send rejection emails/letters. I have no idea why we have to pay so much for these applications! The least they can do is send us some generic email letting us know of the decision..

They don't send rejection emails/letters. I have no idea why we have to pay so much for these applications! The least they can do is send us some generic email letting us know of the decision..

they can't even tell you that you've been rejected?

seriously that is a really rotten thing to do.

they can't even tell you that you've been rejected?

seriously that is a really rotten thing to do.

That's kind of what I'd figured, but yeah.

Especially given that they said they'd notify everyone of the decisions, both by email and through the mail.

Anyway, thanks all!

Especially given that they said they'd notify everyone of the decisions, both by email and through the mail.

They said that to you?! They told me that if I hadn't received an invitation to the interview, it meant that I'd been rejected. The application website also says as much. So its not as if they hadn't informed us that we wouldn't be getting official rejection letters from them. It is because I read that part that I decided to email them to ask if the procedure was the same for international students. They said it was and so that was settled. It still is unfair though. What if your package gets lost in the mail? Nobody would even notice unless MIT contacts us and asks us if we got the package which I doubt is likely to happen..

I assumed I was rejected before I even applied :). Because it's MIT. But yeah, the email confirmation I got suggested that unless you got an interview in February you were rejected. I'd love to see the stats of those they accepted though.

Dear [psycholinguist],

We have received your application to the Department of Brain and Cognitive Sciences at MIT. Our committee will be reviewing

applications starting in January, and you will be notified once a decision has been made. Please visit the URL below to view your

application status. All required items must be received before we can completely review your file.

That was the last thing I heard from them, on 6 January. No mentions of interviews were ever made to me. The only thing I found on the website was:

Q. Is it OK to request my admission decision by email? A. We automatically notify applicants by email after regular letters have been posted.

Yeah...I know someone who applied to MIT BCS a few years ago and never heard back...finally sometime in May he asked them whether he'd been rejected and they said "Uh....yeah."

I wish schools didn't do this. :/

So I got an actual rejection-letter today. Unexpected, but appreciated.

Me too.. but couldn't they have done it on the 14th instead? To send a rejection email after the April 15 deadline or just minutes before the deadline is a joke. Yes, it is nevertheless appreciated.