Fordham PhD

Hi!

Unless there is a late surprise turn of events/change of heart, it looks like I'll be heading to Fordham in the Fall. Saw a few other acceptances on the board, so would love to hear from others who got offers and are thinking of attending. And anyone currently at Fordham or from the area- would love your input!

Thanks, and for those still waiting to hear and make decisions- good luck!

I'm an MA currently at Fordham- what questions do you have? It's a wonderful program with a lot of very respected and excellent faculty. Personally, I think the most challenging aspect is finding a place to live for reasonable rent! (I lived in the Bronx and then opted to move north of the city for cheaper rent and commute in via metro north).

Thanks for the response! Well I did want to know about rent- whats the going rate in the Bronx for a room/small crappy studio?  Thats really useful to know that people do commute in. I am wondering how far the stipend will really go....

My impression so far of Faculty has been great, so glad to hear you've had a good experience. What are staff/student ratios like?

Also, what have you gathered about completion time for the PhD? Have you come across people working (funded?) beyond the five years? I know this is pretty common elsewhere.

Thanks!

I'm not sure what concentration advisors:student ratios would be, but classes are typically very small. If a seminar has more than 9 or 10 people, it's considered large. Each class is a seminar around a table, so it's a very communal and friendly setting.

Finding somewhere to live is tough. I tried the Bronx and split a two room with a psych student for $1350 (675 each). I heard gunshots every so often and I was only two blocks to live from campus. The Bronx has some nice places on the outskirts if you can afford it, but most places close by are just not worth it in my opinion (mine had a terrible cockroach problem). Also, you have to worry about walking alone at night. It's not terrible- don't walk around drunk or with your phone out and you should be ok, but you need to be alert. Costs are cheaper in the Bronx than other Burroughs. Most of my classmates live in Brooklyn (about an hour to an hour and a half by subway) or commute in (Fordham has a metro north station right next to it- the subway is about a 10-15 minute walk from campus). Some live in the Bronx. It is nice to be close to Arthur ave (good food). The stipend goes a decent distance, but most people have rooms in a larger apartment or brownstone. It'll probably be 6-700 a month for your share depending on where you are. It's pretty easy to find people looking for roommates. I think I have a pamphlet we put together on various neighborhoods, costs, etc if you want to pm me your e-mail addy.

Most people I know who are over the 5 year mark got teaching fellowships, so it's not hard to find funding, but I also don't know a whole lot of advanced PhD students.

Pelicano - nice to meet you! I'm also planning on going, and I'm stoked. Received a call last Saturday but haven't gotten the letter in the mail yet -- I figure I should wait for it before confirming, but I'm getting antsy.

Shortstack: that's a sobering anecdote. I may message you later about housing options (I hear there's some kind of Fordham-specific listserv?) since, well... let's just say I'd like to avoid any "entomological entanglements."

Just out of curiosity to both of you, what are your literary emphases?

I'm a Romanticist with a secondary interest in Queer Theory. How about you?

And sure- if you'd like, you can message me your e-mail and I can send you a housing guide some of us put together. Arthur Ave in the Bronx is usually a good bet (I've heard the italian mob kind of runs this section, so there aren't any gangs or anything)--Most people who live there are surprised by my experience. Personally, the Bronx just didn't make me feel safe (especially as a small woman), but some people have lived there for years and have no problem with it.

Sorry to get so late to the party on this, I just saw the thread this morning. I'm a 3rd year PhD medievalist in the English Dept. at Fordham right now, and I live it here! I can't really speak to the Romanticism stuff, but the Medieval Studies program is robust and active.

As far as time to degree goes, it's been rather high at Fordham in the past. I think part of that is because Fordham does a really good job of securing funding for students beyond the 5th year if that student hasn't found a job yet. Fordham English has excellent placement rates (especially for medievalists...one just got a TT job at UCLA!), but every school has students who test the waters and end up having to wait for a second round the following year. Other schools will often force those students to defend their dissertations and finish up, leaving them high and dry financially. Many 6th and 7th (and even some 8th and 9th) year students at Fordham have finished their dissertations, but are just waiting to defend until the land a job, and Fordham has been good at hiring those students as TA's, TF's and postdocs. The new DGS is really big on lowering time to degree, but not at the expense of the placement rate.

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't really heard much chatter about Fordham on GC.

Anyone plan on accepting/declining at Fordham? I'm on their wait list and plan on holding off on making any concrete decision until I hear whether or not they might be pulling students from the wait list.

Hey back2black, I've officially accepted, which I know isn't exactly helpful for you. I suppose the thing to ask is if you've tried contacting the DGS about this?

Congrats on your decision, Chesterton! I'm thinking I probably won't hear anything, if at all, until April. I don't want to look too push by e-mailing, but the suspense is brutal.

Also, I saw from your earlier post that you're a Medievalist, so if the wait list is ranked by specialization than your acceptance doesn't hurt my chances-- I'm not a Medievalist! ;) Haha.

Did they want you to let them know by a certain date? Did you visit-- if so, what did you think?

I actually did my first campus this week (to a school where I was accepted) and I had a really positive experience. I wasn't sure what to expect, but everyone was so warm and I felt so comfortable with everyone I met with-- faculty and a current grad student.

I'm so antsy about Fordham because I would also like to visit their English department, but I wouldn't do so unless I was actually accepted off of the wait list, ya know?

Gotcha. The GSAS said if acceptees didn't respond via the generated form in their "VIP" accounts by April 15, they assume you aren't taking it. So I guess that means you could hear later than the 15th if someone declines?

The visit day is this Mon and I'm going... hopefully I won't be too wiped out by the time I get there. I've been in contact with a few professors and students and everyone seems nice and sane, which are good signs.

Did you bring anything special when you did your campus visit (besides your winning personality)?

Gotcha. The GSAS said if acceptees didn't respond via the generated form in their "VIP" accounts by April 15, they assume you aren't taking it. So I guess that means you could hear later than the 15th if someone declines?

The visit day is this Mon and I'm going... hopefully I won't be too wiped out by the time I get there. I've been in contact with a few professors and students and everyone seems nice and sane, which are good signs.

Did you bring anything special when you did your campus visit (besides your winning personality)?

:) Just bring your amazing personality and be yourself.

I brought a notebook with a couple of questions, a copy of my cv, a copy of my personal statement, and a current draft of my MA thesis. I never even ended up taking out the folder with the cv, personal statement, and thesis draft, and I didn't refer to the questions in my notebook either.

Everything ended up being organic and I never had to pause and refer to notes to ask questions or anything along those lines. The English chair (who also happens to be a scholar in my field) told me how much she enjoyed my personal statement, which was awesome to hear. She expressed her enthusiasm of wanting to work with me, so if I end up going to that school she will more than likely be my dissertation advisor. After our meeting I just felt high on life (kind of the same high you get at a conference), so the rest of the day just kind of followed suit! :)

I hope you have an amazing visit! Let us know how it goes and definitely let me know what you think of the department, area, and anything about what size they are aiming for with the incoming cohort. And obviously if you hear anything about the wait list! :)

Success! Had a grand time. Everyone was welcoming and interest(ing/ed), met 5 of the 6 medievalists and several grad students who all seemed cool, and am looking forward to inserting myself into the beating heart of the city come fall. Was excited before, am way excited now. The housing I'm not so much looking forward to but it will work out.

Shortstack, were you at the afternoon/pre-dinner reception? I possibly overheard someone mention your name, but I was too busy talking with folks to find out!

From what I gathered, cohorts are generally 8-ish, sometimes up to 11. The campus is nice and the department (and other departments--history, philosophy, and theology were represented at the receptions as well) overall seemed cool. I don't know the size of the incoming cohort, and didn't hear about the wait list, sorry. If it's getting down to crunch time I'm sure the DGS would be fine with giving you information (I emailed the DGSs of both places I was waitlisted at, one of which turned into an offer).

If you have any questions that I may have the answer to from my short time there, I'd be glad to respond!

Edited by Chesterton

I was indeed at the reception! I was mostly in a corner with a friend and one of the medievalists because we were all experiencing some claustrophobia, haha. But yes, everyone is quite nice :) the worst part of NYC is always housing, but most people consider it more than adequate trade off for being able to have constant access to the city

Success! Had a grand time. Everyone was welcoming and interest(ing/ed), met 5 of the 6 medievalists and several grad students who all seemed cool, and am looking forward to inserting myself into the beating heart of the city come fall. Was excited before, am way excited now. The housing I'm not so much looking forward to but it will work out.

Shortstack, were you at the afternoon/pre-dinner reception? I possibly overheard someone mention your name, but I was too busy talking with folks to find out!

From what I gathered, cohorts are generally 8-ish, sometimes up to 11. The campus is nice and the department (and other departments--history, philosophy, and theology were represented at the receptions as well) overall seemed cool. I don't know the size of the incoming cohort, and didn't hear about the wait list, sorry. If it's getting down to crunch time I'm sure the DGS would be fine with giving you information (I emailed the DGSs of both places I was waitlisted at, one of which turned into an offer).

If you have any questions that I may have the answer to from my short time there, I'd be glad to respond!

That's awesome-- glad you had such a positive experience!

I think I'll wait a few days and then maybe reach out to the DGS. Part of me doesn't want to reach out because I'd rather live in a state of false hope, but it's getting down to the time where I need to make a decision and knowing where I stand at each school would be helpful!

Heya! I'm an incoming grad student at Fordham (but in psych, haha). If any incoming students want to consider looking for housing together, that would be great. Either way, best of luck in your program! Perhaps we'll see each other around some time.