When to apply for Visa

Socio

Hi all,

I am an international grad student accepted to a PhD program in Soc for fall 2009 enrollment. I have already got my I-20 and the program starts mid-august. When can I apply for my visa at the US embassy? I know that there is such a thing as applying too early.

-Socio

The earlier the better (although there I'm pretty sure there is a "too early" deadline)- Not sure if the US is the same, but I applied for a Visa for Spain, and you put your dates for studying there- so the Visa becomes valid on the days you need it to be.

It has been a long time since i applied for my visa, and that was pre 9/11. However, from what I remember, in 2000 they recommended doing it about 3 months before. It all depends, in some countries the processing time is about a week, in others it takes them 2 or 3 weeks. so take that into consideration.

• 1 month later...

I was applying for visa a couple of years ago in June. It really depends where you come from. I had to have an interview and the wait for the interview was 60 days. So it turned out pretty tight, but I made it.

Good luck!