Thinking ahead to TAPS PhD's in 2015

eddiebee

Hi Everyone,

I'm brand new to this site and am considering applying to Theatre and Performance Studies programs for Fall of 2015. I know, I'm early. 

I'm having trouble finding an accurate ranking online for TAPS programs. I found the NAP searchable spreadsheet (http://www.nap.edu/rdp/index.html??record_id=12850?record_id=12850#download), but the data is so old it doesn't even register that UT Austin has their PPP program and not just a Theater program. Can anyone recommend a place where I can find an accurate ranking of top Performance Studies PhD programs? Or can anyone provide an opinion about which are the top 5-10 programs? I know there aren't many, and would be happy to include just plain Theatre PhD programs in my search if they also had a strong practical component - which I understand that most do not.

My goal, as stated above, is to find a program with a strong practical component. I'm an performer and a director as well as an academic and I'd like to keep it that way. 

Also, I'd love to know whether TAPS PhD's tend to let candidates take classes in other departments? That may seem like a dumb question, but I just want to make sure I'd be able to continue to pursue my research in other areas, such as Medieval and Renaissance Studies, Linguistics, etc., that are relevant to my academic (and performative!) interests. 

Thanks to all in advance for any advice.

Edited by eddiebee

I know that Northwestern and NYU are pretty much the cream of the crop for Performance Studies I think they're 1 and 2. UCSD is certainly up there too. As far as actual rankings, it's really hard to find. Our field gets so small at this level with most of the schools seeming to take only 5 students or less each year. Also, the general knowledge states that it's impossible to get into the NYU PS PhD without their MA first. I applied anyway, if I get in, I'll let you know.

ETA: I know UCI allows you to take a bunch of electives, but they are a pureply academic program, none or very little practicum so you might not be interested in that. My 3 schools this year are in my sig. Next year I plan to add UCI, UCSB and CUNY, those are the ones I can tell you about, but none of those three are top ranked I don't think.

I did find this:

http://graduate-school.phds.org/rankings/theater/rank/basic

Edited by roguesenna

I hear different top rankings from different people, usually (from what I can tell--in my opinion) depending on their current geographical location. I was under the impression that NYU was number one and/but very closely followed by Brown. Stanford is on par with Brown and then Northwestern following that. Then CUNY. 

All that said, one program I hear great things about from scholars is the Theatre Historiography Ph.D at Minnesota. It seems to me to be a real up-and-coming program that is well-respected by those in the field and only gaining more and more recognition as it establishes itself. SUNY-Buffalo is another new program that is quickly garnering recognition. 

Performance Studies and Theatre Studies programs--respectively--are difficult to rank. I think this is because, unlike other humanities and especially the sciences, they are newer (well, in the case of Performance Studies) and are still establishing themselves as legitimate fields. Seriously, theater programs are often the first to go in the cuts universities are making in financial straits. I've read at least two articles in journals that are essentially  "in defense of theater studies" manifestos. It's bad out there. As a result, it's difficult for administrators or whoever it is that decides on rankings to determine what programs should be recognized. Performance Studies and Theater Studies are also very interdisciplinary in their very origins, so that's another hitch in ranking programs. 

So uh...hope that helps? Hah. 

Performance Studies and Theatre Studies programs--respectively--are difficult to rank. I think this is because, unlike other humanities and especially the sciences, they are newer (well, in the case of Performance Studies) and are still establishing themselves as legitimate fields. Seriously, theater programs are often the first to go in the cuts universities are making in financial straits. I've read at least two articles in journals that are essentially  "in defense of theater studies" manifestos. It's bad out there. As a result, it's difficult for administrators or whoever it is that decides on rankings to determine what programs should be recognized. Performance Studies and Theater Studies are also very interdisciplinary in their very origins, so that's another hitch in ranking programs. 

very yes. much agree.

• 4 weeks later...

Bump.

I got into the NYU MA and since the program is only one year I'm considering PhD programs again. My geographical window opened up so I'm going for broke! What programs will people be considering?

if no one responds, I'll bump this again in a month or two. :P

circus arts! know anything? I've been doing my own research, but it looks like I'm pretty much in the first wave with that. Also interested in medieval and renaissance theatre, commedia dell arte, audience studies and pop culture.

• 2 years later...
On Tuesday, March 25, 2014 at 1:43 PM, roguesenna said:

Bump.

I got into the NYU MA and since the program is only one year I'm considering PhD programs again. My geographical window opened up so I'm going for broke! What programs will people be considering?

if no one responds, I'll bump this again in a month or two. :P

What was NYU looking for in applicants?