Second Time Around...what did you do differently?

gradcat

For those successful candidates this year that were not as lucky the first time around, I'm wondering if you'd be willing to share what you did differently this time.  Did you do an MA, for example?  Or go out in the field or publish?

Thanks in advance! 

The big thing for me was doing more research and picking colleges that were a better fit and not so much based on "prestige". I also applied to more places. The biggest thing though was contacting or attempting to contact each POI ahead of time before submitting my application. About half were able to talk with me on the phone and allow me to pitch myself to them as a candidate. I've found that I can really portray myself and my interests well to overcome for any shortcomings like average GRE scores, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

I was rejected from all the Ph.D programs (5) that I applied to in 2012. I was in the process of finishing a combined BS/MA from a well ranked anthro program, had good GRE verbal/quantitative scores, but a very poor writing score. At the point of applying, I did not have my master's thesis ready to send as my writing sample and used a term paper from a graduate level course instead. I also submitted an NSF GRFP app. I ended up getting 2 interviews but ultimately no acceptances. While I had contacted all the POI's ahead of time, it turned out that at least one thought they could take a student and then couldn't. 

I intended to apply to more places this year (2013), but only ended up finding 4 that I liked, 2 of which had rejected me the year before. I hastily retook the GRE, but only minimally improved my writing score. However, I had my finished thesis and a job doing research in my subfield and had done a conference presentation. I set up visits to two schools that I applied to (which I did not have the means to do last year), and had a formal interview with one school. I tightened up my personal statement, got the same people to write me letters of recommendation and crossed my fingers. This year, thankfully, I got into my top choice program which had rejected me last year. 

My tip is to contact POI's, get your name on their radar whether it's an email, phone call or visit. 

I really streamlined my Statement of Intent.  Even though I had had help in crafting it with some mentors/profs before, it was fairly bland and didn't show much structure.  It basically read like: "genetics are cool, so are isotopes, bones are neat also.  Pick me."  So I sat down and really focused on the two sections of research that interested me the most, aDNA and isotopes.  I knew that I "got" those topics and they made my want to learn more, plus I did well in those study topics during independent thesis topics during my undergrad.  My LORs were also more positive, I feel.  I had more of a personal connection to my writers, and they seemed excited to be helping me.  It amazed me because my letter writers previously I had taken loads of classes with, but they were kind of wishy-washy in their approach to me, while these profs were very gung-ho even though I had only taken 1-3 classes with them.

Lastly, I applied for funding.  Last year I had gotten some bad advice (by one of my hands-off-approach writers, interestingly enough) that you didn't really need to apply for funding until you were in grad school and that applying for funding was not really expected until you were in the program.  That came as a shock haha.  I am much more prepared this round, for sure.

Thank you so much for starting this post gradcat. I have NOT been accepted anywhere this , my first time, but i just wanted to chime in and tell what I will be doing differently next year.

- I will not retake my poor GREs because i am fairly confident that iwill get the same score

- i will make that statement in my SOP where we talk about why we want to work with certain faculty, much more personal. 

- i will do more field work this summer,

- i will do everything in my power to submit or present at a conference (something i am lacking and seems to not be working in my favor)

- I will visit schools and at least talk to my POIs more

I can offer what I think worked for me with getting into grad school on my first try... 

- Get recommendations for schools, POIs, from your letter recommenders and mentors. Both of the schools I have been accepted to were referred to me by my undergrad mentor to POIs who were familiar with his work and respected his recommendation. 

- If possible, schedule a visit with the school, departments, and POIs. I visited the 3 schools that were in driving distance to me, and met with a few department professors (including my POIs), graduate students, toured their facilities, etc. By taking the initiative to go on your own expense, and on your own time, it shows that you are very interested and are willing to do what it takes to pick a good program. Two of my visits they scheduled an entire day of meetings, lunch, coffee, interviews, etc. 

- If there are any weaknesses in your application (GRE scores, GPA, etc), address it in your SOP. My GRE scores were mediocre at best. But, I was able to counteract them by highlighting all my strengths compared to my one "flaw" in my application. If you don't address it, they might address it for you, without highlighting all your strengths.

- I "hired" (traded, actually) an editor.. an English professor friend of mine, to edit my SOPs so that they were very solid, well written, and department specific. If you have any English major friends, maybe that might be an option for you too. 

- I was advised to apply to several programs.. 2-3 "prestigious" reach schools, 2-3 in-between (solid reputations and research, but not prestigious), and 2-3 "back-up" or safety schools. This also worked for me.. While I didn't get accepted into my reach schools, I at least tried, and I did get accepted into good universities with great POIs and research possibilities. 

- Research/Teaching Assistantships, Field School, Conference presentations/posters, Journal Publications, Community Service, Scholarships, etc.. apply/get/do as many as you possibly can. 

I can offer what I think worked for me with getting into grad school on my first try... 

- Get recommendations for schools, POIs, from your letter recommenders and mentors. Both of the schools I have been accepted to were referred to me by my undergrad mentor to POIs who were familiar with his work and respected his recommendation. 

- If possible, schedule a visit with the school, departments, and POIs. I visited the 3 schools that were in driving distance to me, and met with a few department professors (including my POIs), graduate students, toured their facilities, etc. By taking the initiative to go on your own expense, and on your own time, it shows that you are very interested and are willing to do what it takes to pick a good program. Two of my visits they scheduled an entire day of meetings, lunch, coffee, interviews, etc. 

- If there are any weaknesses in your application (GRE scores, GPA, etc), address it in your SOP. My GRE scores were mediocre at best. But, I was able to counteract them by highlighting all my strengths compared to my one "flaw" in my application. If you don't address it, they might address it for you, without highlighting all your strengths.

- I "hired" (traded, actually) an editor.. an English professor friend of mine, to edit my SOPs so that they were very solid, well written, and department specific. If you have any English major friends, maybe that might be an option for you too. 

- I was advised to apply to several programs.. 2-3 "prestigious" reach schools, 2-3 in-between (solid reputations and research, but not prestigious), and 2-3 "back-up" or safety schools. This also worked for me.. While I didn't get accepted into my reach schools, I at least tried, and I did get accepted into good universities with great POIs and research possibilities. 

- Research/Teaching Assistantships, Field School, Conference presentations/posters, Journal Publications, Community Service, Scholarships, etc.. apply/get/do as many as you possibly can. 

solid advice, thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

All right, I went through the first year rejection blues so bad I lost 50 pounds because I became a nervous wreck. 

{But I did learn quite a bit)

First thing I did was retake my GREs, I didn't do quite as well as I wanted but I did raise my score enough to get past minimum requirements which was great.

The second thing I did was rewrite my Statement of Purposes and making it a bit more personal, explaining why I went into this program and detailed all of my experiences and attributes

The last thing I did which in my opinion is the MOST important. I contacted the professors of each school and maintained contact with them throughout the process. The best thing I ever did was set up meetings with the professors so that I could meet them in person. This was huge for me because when I went to my number one choice I got to sit down and talk to each and everyone of them, when they found out I'd minored in technical writing suddenly they went into a tizzy because they were so excited that I knew how to write professionally. That was such a big deal for them and something that I'd never really thought about beyond as a footnote.

I got to mee the grad students, talk to the professors, hang out with them in the department and they got to see why I would be a good fit for them. In the end I got to shake the hand of the head of the department and he winked at me and said that he was sure I would be happy there. Two weeks later I got that bright shiny acceptance envelope in the mail.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys

I wanted to get a sense how many of you who applied the second time around contacted their POI and got feedback on their applications. What did you say in the email? How many professors actually responded?

Im starting to do that and am wondering how should i phrase, and what should my expectation be.

Thanks

Hey guys

I wanted to get a sense how many of you who applied the second time around contacted their POI and got feedback on their applications. What did you say in the email? How many professors actually responded?

Im starting to do that and am wondering how should i phrase, and what should my expectation be.

Thanks

Hello there!

So i was rejected 7/7 and i contacted all of them to ask about next year. 4 of them actually offered to talk to me on the phone and give me detailed advice about my application and what i can do better . 1 of them told me that they cant share anything and cannot give ANY advice. 1 said that they already lost my application and just try again, and 1 of them told me to never bother applying again- i am not good for their program. If you want any more details, please PM me