Fall 2015 Applicants

dr. t

Does anyone know if UPenn's History and Sociology of Science department sent out decisions? There's nothing on the results page but I can't help but worry  :unsure:

Thanks for the support guys. I really appreciate the well wishes from this community. Now let's see if UVA picks me up off the waiting list or what my other pending applications come back as (probably rejections though).

Does anyone know if UPenn's History and Sociology of Science department sent out decisions? There's nothing on the results page but I can't help but worry  :unsure:

UPenn History has done acceptances already but has not sent out rejections yet. I found out because I asked.

Edited by Chiqui74

UPenn History has done acceptances already but has not sent out rejections yet. I found out because I asked.

UPenn History and History and Sociology of Science are separate departments. I don't, unfortunately, have any information regarding the latter.

Well, I know I've gotten into at least one program. I just got my offer of admission to Florida International University's PhD in Latin American History program. All it takes is one "yes."

Congratulations! FIU is a great place to be right now.

Well, I know I've gotten into at least one program. I just got my offer of admission to Florida International University's PhD in Latin American History program. All it takes is one "yes."

Fantastic news! It does just take one "yes." I have a very close friend finishing his PhD in the Political Science department this year and has really enjoyed his time there. He's also had some really great research opportunities there.  :)

Congratulations on getting accepted to FIU, JTE!

I finally got my last rejection letter today, from Wisconsin-Madison. It came under weird circumstances: the envelope arrived in a plastic bag printed with an apology from the post office for damaging the mail, and it apparently had been opened with a letter opener! My mail has never been tampered with before (to my knowledge), so why in the world did that happen?

That said, this is the end of this cycle for me, and I'm happy with my acceptances. I only opened an account here less than two months ago, but I wanted to thank everyone here for being so thoughtful, helpful, and sympathetic toward each other. These threads were a great source of advice during the application process, and I think there are many students out there (like me) who quietly browse the forums and find humor, relief, and inspiration during stressful times. You people are awesome!

Congratulations on getting accepted to FIU, JTE!

I finally got my last rejection letter today, from Wisconsin-Madison. It came under weird circumstances: the envelope arrived in a plastic bag printed with an apology from the post office for damaging the mail, and it apparently had been opened with a letter opener! My mail has never been tampered with before (to my knowledge), so why in the world did that happen?

That said, this is the end of this cycle for me, and I'm happy with my acceptances. I only opened an account here less than two months ago, but I wanted to thank everyone here for being so thoughtful, helpful, and sympathetic toward each other. These threads were a great source of advice during the application process, and I think there are many students out there (like me) who quietly browse the forums and find humor, relief, and inspiration during stressful times. You people are awesome!

Wondering whether you will choose UCSB or come here to DC.Congratulations on your acceptances!

Wondering whether you will choose UCSB or come here to DC.Congratulations on your acceptances!

Thank you! I'll be attending the prospective students day at Georgetown later this month to get a better feel for the department, so I think it would be best to postpone any decisions until afterward. This is going to be a very difficult choice.

On another note, what are everybody else's plans for the next few months? I'm all but done with my MA program, and so I have about six months to take some work and beef up my savings. What I'm concerned about is finding something that would be relevant to my planned research or career goals. There aren't many jobs out there that 1) could draw from my research and language skills, 2) don't require a long-term commitment, and 3) aren't unpaid internships. (I can apply for an unpaid internship to get relevant work experience, but I'd like to get a steady income first!) Is this even something to worry about at this point in time? Should I just go for a job that pays my bills?

Edited by Wullbluomen

Thank you! I'll be attending the prospective students day at Georgetown later this month to get a better feel for the department, so I think it would be best to postpone any decisions until afterward. This is going to be a very difficult choice.

On another note, what are everybody else's plans for the next few months? I'm all but done with my MA program, and so I have about six months to take some work and beef up my savings. What I'm concerned about is finding something that would be relevant to my planned research or career goals. There aren't many jobs out there that 1) could draw on my research and language skills, 2) don't require a long-term commitment, and 3) aren't unpaid internships. (I can apply for an unpaid internship to get relevant work experience, but I'd like to get a steady income first!) Is this even something to worry about at this point in time? Should I just go for a job that pays my bills?

I'd actually also love some input on this; I've not to worry too much about bills right now, but I'm unsure as to how to take up a part time job when I'm going to be available for less than 6 months :( .

Is anyone else still waiting on UChicago? I checked my email and my online application for my rejection but found nothing.

Maybe tomorrow...

Is anyone else still waiting on UChicago? I checked my email and my online application for my rejection but found nothing.

Maybe tomorrow...

It probably means you'll get a MAPSS offer - at least that's how it worked in the past.

Josh, fingers crossed UCLA may yet have some good news for you. At this point, I get how no news seems like bad news... But hell, I'm hoping for ya.

As for job stuff, I'd recommend anyone looking for temporary but relevant stuff check with the US equivalent of a Canadian vocational college (skilled trades ie culinary school). They often have 5-6 month projects on the go over the summer, whether it's parsing survey data or new program launches, etc. Try a speculative letter explaining your current situation and the kinds of work you'd be interested in (ie research focus). Also, some of these institutions offer humanities courses, so it's an interesting chance to see if you'd be comfortable seeking a teaching post in that setting one day. All about the back up plans...

Thank you for applying to graduate study at UCLA. We regret to inform you that you are not being offered admission.

UCLA receives many more applications than there are student places available. Each of these applications is carefully reviewed by a departmental faculty committee. In this extremely competitive environment, many talented and promising students are not recommended for admission by these committees.

We understand that this decision is disappointing. If you have questions about your application or the decision, please contact (History gradoffice@history.ucla.edu or (310) 206-2627 )

Please accept my best wishes for success in all your future endeavors.

You only need one.

But I got none.

And to think I gave up a secure government job to go to school.

Hey! I am so sorry to hear that. Is Vandy is still an option? What about the teaching gig at Oregan? I have a friend here who is in the PhD program there you should probably meet up with if you head out there.

I worked in journalism before quitting to study Japanese and when I spoke to some tenured academics who worked as contributors at major institutions about my plans at least three told me they got rejected their first cycle. It doesn't feel nice hearing it now but there are many different routes people end up taking to get into this silly business. I'm genuinely sorry for you but the teaching gig sounds pretty sweet to me. Not sure I would get any offers like that at this stage.

Edited by Gambaosaka1

Agreed with Gambaosaka, this process has serious swings and roundabouts. Today will suck. You probably don't want to hear how awesome we all think that teaching job sounds (at least I wouldn't). Just look forward to drinking ALL the beer tonight. You've earned it.

Tomorrow (and today, if you're up for it) we'll still be here to cheer you on towards the next cycle, if that's where you're headed, and to support you pursuing your many awesome options in the meantime.

Remember you're awesome and you're way further ahead than many just for getting through this process. It takes guts.

Thank you all for the congratulations. And congrats to those who have decisions to make, and for whom the cycle is over.

If FIU brings you over for a prospective student weekend, give me a shout.