Fall 2015 Applicants

dr. t

Getting through the first semester was rough since I was full time (12 credit hours). I thought my slow reading would get in the way of completing my work, and while though being a slow reader makes the work load heavier than what it actually is, it did not prevent me from having a great semester. I really enjoy my program and the staff, even if the history program is Eurocentric and lack professors that specialize in non-white history.

This coming semester I will spend my time prepping for my thesis. I spent some of my winter break accumulating sources, but I have not really read anything. I hope this early start and motivation stays up, as I do not want to get lazy and drop the ball later down the road. Lord's willing.

I'm in the same boat as mvlchicago, I just can't swing it this year. Sadly, don't have anything to present or money to spare. I plan on going next year for sure.

Let us know how it goes, Heimat! I'm sorry we won't be getting a beer together!

1 hour ago, tingdeh said:

Yes please! Are you all putting your abstracts and panels together? 

You jest, but I would totally do a panel with y'all called something like "The Digital Network Generation: A Selection of type-A grad student research who've been chatting about their projects semi-anonymously for a year." 

• 2 months later...

So it took my school a million years to verify my offer acceptance, but now that it has, I'm confident posting it here.

I'm going to attend a dual degree program at OU. It's hard to turn down a fully-funded dual masters degree that aligns with a decade of my professional experience.

17 hours ago, Neist said:

So it took my school a million years to verify my offer acceptance, but now that it has, I'm confident posting it here.

I'm going to attend a dual degree program at OU. It's hard to turn down a fully-funded dual masters degree that aligns with a decade of my professional experience.

Yay @Neist! That sounds like a great deal (especially saving money from moving)! I bet you'll have a lot more opportunities open up for you, especially since you'll work directly with faculty who are (likely) already familiar with your work. 

22 hours ago, nevermind said:

Yay @Neist! That sounds like a great deal (especially saving money from moving)! I bet you'll have a lot more opportunities open up for you, especially since you'll work directly with faculty who are (likely) already familiar with your work. 

Yup! And to be honest, my interests line up with probably more than half of the history of science department in one way or another. It'll be a good place, I think, and only two acceptances were offered funding this year out of a much larger pool (sometimes they only offer one slot). 

I was quite lucky and I'm very thankful for opportunity I've been given. :)