Fall 2015 Applicants

dr. t

Yeah, and as I said, I think you're entitled to that! (And my rambling digression above is not meant to be a criticism of your feelings or anything, just my own way of thinking about this kind of situation.)

That being said, I'm sure some departments do actually skim over applications and misplace files and stuff, which is why I spelled out the refund scenario. It makes me angry to think about because processing fees are exorbitant and to suspect they didn't even buy you a cursory look must be soul-destroying.

No they definitely gave me a serious look, suggested they were taking applicants, and interviewed me. But that makes it all the more frustrating.

No they definitely gave me a serious look, suggested they were taking applicants, and interviewed me. But that makes it all the more frustrating.

As one of my friends said on my FB, "You just wait for the job market"  :ph34r:

Ivan,

This is actually my second go round in the PhDs app process since getting my MA. The first time was an unmitigated disaster for a number of reasons, but one of the things I am still a bit bitter about was how things shook out with Notre Dame. I was, at that time, thinking that I wanted to change subfields, and initially applied to their brand new anthropology program to work on historical archaeology. The DGS emailed me, and told me that I should also apply to history, and cc'd the history DGS with my dossier. He also suggested that I apply, so I did. Weeks went by, interviews were requested, and I never heard a thing from either of them. Soundly rejected, without any kind of contact from either, and wasted both fees.

Of course, I wouldn't have thought that I would get in just because they told me to apply, and after the fact some things changed within the history department that would have meant that I had no one to advise me. That is a very sad story, in itself, but I think it would be silly of me to assume I would have gotten in if things had turned out differently. That said, the entire episode left a bad taste in my mouth -- I definitely know how you feel.

Has anyone from Michigan's history program heard anything about the admissions days or funding? It's been silent for me :/ 

I've been sent an offer and funding info from Michigan's history PhD. If rejections haven't gone out, I suppose they're waiting for the responses of the first wave. I'll be turning them down, so if you've been quietly put on the waitlist, maybe you'll hear news soon.

I've been sent an offer and funding info from Michigan's history PhD. If rejections haven't gone out, I suppose they're waiting for the responses of the first wave. I'll be turning them down, so if you've been quietly put on the waitlist, maybe you'll hear news soon.

Do you mind sharing what the funding is like?

I have been accepted into the joint History & WS program at Michigan. We're supposed to get all the same info as the regular History students but it's been silent. 

If you could share funding and visit day info, I'd be very appreciative :) (also sent a PM)

Edited by kateosee

Completely off-topic

What do you call a book composed of entirely primary sources? Years back, I bought a book with copied reproductions of speeches, letters and journal entries made by Lajos Kossuth, a Hungarian-revolutionist that came to the US in 1850. I guess an equivalent to this "book" would be "Our Word is our Weapon" by Subcommandate Marcos, which has most of his speeches, and writings compiled into a single book.

Heres the amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Our-Word-Weapon-Selected-Writings/dp/158322663X

EDIT: The difference between Marcos' "book" and the one I have about Kossuth is that Marcos' book was published. The Kossuth "book" was never published, and has no cover (its entirely black). I dont know if my description is helpful X.X

"Unpublished works" in the primary sources section of the bibliography?

I have been accepted into the joint History & WS program at Michigan. We're supposed to get all the same info as the regular History students but it's been silent. 

If you could share funding and visit day info, I'd be very appreciative :) (also sent a PM)

Visit days are 3/15-17. Funding I think varies, but I got a 6 year package with four summers.

Has anyone sent an updated CV to admissions committees?  I've added a few extra items to it since applying, and recently one of my POIs contacted me to let me know that I'm a strong candidate but that they can't admit me yet because they're waiting on funding decisions.  The first round of letters has gone out already and I'm about halfway down their unofficial "waitlist."  I'd really like to get in at this particular school!  Just wondering if sending additional [relevant] materials helps at all.

Ivan,

This is actually my second go round in the PhDs app process since getting my MA. The first time was an unmitigated disaster for a number of reasons, but one of the things I am still a bit bitter about was how things shook out with Notre Dame. I was, at that time, thinking that I wanted to change subfields, and initially applied to their brand new anthropology program to work on historical archaeology. The DGS emailed me, and told me that I should also apply to history, and cc'd the history DGS with my dossier. He also suggested that I apply, so I did. Weeks went by, interviews were requested, and I never heard a thing from either of them. Soundly rejected, without any kind of contact from either, and wasted both fees.

Of course, I wouldn't have thought that I would get in just because they told me to apply, and after the fact some things changed within the history department that would have meant that I had no one to advise me. That is a very sad story, in itself, but I think it would be silly of me to assume I would have gotten in if things had turned out differently. That said, the entire episode left a bad taste in my mouth -- I definitely know how you feel.

Thanks for the commiserations. Being rejected is one thing, but these type of situations leave you feeling deceived don't they?

In unrelated news, when is Harvard going to get round to dropping the hammer? Still no decision available on my applicant portal. 

Thanks for the commiserations. Being rejected is one thing, but these type of situations leave you feeling deceived don't they?

In unrelated news, when is Harvard going to get round to dropping the hammer? Still no decision available on my applicant portal. 

I dunno. As I said, shit's random.

My last cycle, Harvard rejects came out first week of March. With the snow, who knows.

I dunno. As I said, shit's random.

My last cycle, Harvard rejects came out first week of March. With the snow, who knows.

Word. I may just call tomorrow to see if they have my decision. Worst thing that will happen is that they won't. Not really worried about leaving a negative impression as I'm sure they'll forget my name five seconds after I hang up anyway.

Thanks. Whelp, I'm an Americanist too (probably have a different focus than you though) and also haven't heard from Cornell. Probably a rejection, but good to know your POI said responses will come by "mid-march." That at least leaves some hope that those accepted so far were from a different sub-field. Good luck!

Fingers crossed! Congrats on UC Davis btw. When do you have to inform them by?

I need some good news today, I hope this is the week all of us waiting for an acceptance get what we're waiting for.

If you haven't heard from Virginia yet, you are probably on a waiting list because they already sent rejections.

Yeah, I assume that I am on the waiting list. When rejections came out and I didn't receive one I contacted the office of graduate admissions and they confirmed my application is still under review. I guess the wait list is better than being rejected, but it's still not an acceptance :unsure:

Yeah, I assume that I am on the waiting list. When rejections came out and I didn't receive one I contacted the office of graduate admissions and they confirmed my application is still under review. I guess the wait list is better than being rejected, but it's still not an acceptance :unsure:

No bad news can be good news, JTE! Congrats that you're in the running for UVA! What a fantastic program. Wishing you luck, and good luck for all of us this week!

So I had set out today as the day that I chased Grad Admissions with regards to my applications and here is the info I've managed to get: rejections from Rutgers, CUNY and Columbia, all of whom have now completed their admissions process for a PhD History program. So if you're still awaiting reply like I was, I'm afraid that it's bad news. However NYU or CUNY haven't yet made final decisions on their applications so there is still hope!

Here's hoping there's better news for others this week...