Stupid Thread

Cottagecheeseman

I ran into some people from the SCA tonight... "society for creative anachronism" -you know, like a ren fair, but more permanent.

Anywho, giving crap to this old hippy guy dressed like a spanish pirate for about ten minutes really let some of my stress out. I highly recommend it. Super fun.

The SCA is awesome (if it's done right)!

That's funny, I used to fence too. Mine was competition foil fencing. I tried to get into the SCA (several years ago), but since I'm a girl I got a lot of neanderthalic pseudo-romantic posturing that really annoyed the shit out of me. I've been thinking about joining again over the summer, but I would just stick to the weapons-related activities this time.

Edited by PhD applicant

That's funny, I used to fence too. Mine was competition foil fencing. I tried to get into the SCA (several years ago), but since I'm a girl I got a lot of neanderthalic pseudo-romantic posturing that really annoyed the shit out of me. I've been thinking about joining again over the summer, but I would just stick to the weapons-related activities this time.

I mean, I did competition foil as well, but my club was large enough that we had a few serious historical instructors as well. I did 17th century rapier, but there was also some different kinds of historical instruction in things like broadsword, knife skills, short sword, etc. Unfortunately, the SCA does attract some seriously irritating neckbeards, the kind that believe that they were born in the wrong century and actually belong on a medieval battlefield despite the fact that they still live with their mum and only do this stuff for fun on the weekends. But I'd like to think that there are enough people who are serious about the historical study of the various martial arts to at least provide a counterbalance to the weekend warriors. 

I mean, I did competition foil as well, but my club was large enough that we had a few serious historical instructors as well. I did 17th century rapier, but there was also some different kinds of historical instruction in things like broadsword, knife skills, short sword, etc. Unfortunately, the SCA does attract some seriously irritating neckbeards, the kind that believe that they were born in the wrong century and actually belong on a medieval battlefield despite the fact that they still live with their mum and only do this stuff for fun on the weekends. But I'd like to think that there are enough people who are serious about the historical study of the various martial arts to at least provide a counterbalance to the weekend warriors. 

Yeah, :lol:

I mean, I think there was a healthy mix here. The knife throwing classes didn't exist in my area last time I wanted to join and I just found out from the spanish pirate wannabe mentioned above that they have them now so I really want to go to them. I actually don't mind the people who think they were born in the wrong century, as long as I know what kind of crazy I'm dealing with. :ph34r: I actually have more respect for this than for the freaks we have - I mean - I guess I should call them totally respectable, um, also nerds, who dress up like sci-fi, cartoon, or video game characters and run around in the park hitting each other with nerf weapons and pretending they are just as cool as the SCA. I can't remember what it's called but those kids scare me.

I don't think anyone would be allowed to do this anymore...

tumblr_mo0o2nYgpl1rm9sqwo5_400.gif

...who dress up like sci-fi, cartoon, or video game characters and run around in the park hitting each other with nerf weapons and pretending they are just as cool as the SCA. I can't remember what it's called but those kids scare me.

Larping! There are some crazy things people do with zombie larping... you can buy incredibly realistic foam riot shields, e.g., or human-leg-clubs.

My experience with this type of stuff has been experiments with homemade boffer arrows. We had a few games, but they died off after I nailed my friend in the nose with a 20lb bow--blood just started pouring. We have access to 80 acres of land, though, and it'd be so cool to get 20 or so archers together to have a little war.

Larping! There are some crazy things people do with zombie larping... you can buy incredibly realistic foam riot shields, e.g., or human-leg-clubs.

My experience with this type of stuff has been experiments with homemade boffer arrows. We had a few games, but they died off after I nailed my friend in the nose with a 20lb bow--blood just started pouring. We have access to 80 acres of land, though, and it'd be so cool to get 20 or so archers together to have a little war.

Hmmm. Zombie larping. This sounds far more reasonable to me than the normal larping. Not sure why.

tumblr_mj1iok6lgt1s3979jo1_500.gif

Hey: what logic test? Why took it? 

As in I'm currently taking a course in logic. I want to be able to test out of my logic requirement in grad school and I don't pay for classes at my uni, so I decided to take symbolic logic again this semester for fun. It's so easy that I don't have to worry about studying, and I can do fun things like proofs in pen.

As in I'm currently taking a course in logic. I want to be able to test out of my logic requirement in grad school and I don't pay for classes at my uni, so I decided to take symbolic logic again this semester for fun. It's so easy that I don't have to worry about studying, and I can do fun things like proofs in pen.

I wonder how many people do this. I remember I was the only person who did my math homework in pen. People are like, why do you do that? And I was like, I don't know. I really don't know. Maybe because I'm an arrogant showoff.

I wonder how many people do this. I remember I was the only person who did my math homework in pen. People are like, why do you do that? And I was like, I don't know. I really don't know. Maybe because I'm an arrogant showoff.

I don't use pencils except for scantrons (parscore). I really hate using pencils. I'd rather have a paper full of scribbles than use a f***ing pencil. They frustrate me more than they should.

Google doesn't seem to help me with this question, and  there doesn't seem to be a forum devoted to financial aid shit, but does anyone know if it's possible to get a student loan with a stipend/tuition remission. If I attended Florida, though I have funding/tuition, there are some fees I have to pay every year, plus the start up costs I'll incur from moving there, and I was hoping to take out a modest loan to help cover that. But I have no idea if  you can still take out federal loans with stipend/tuition. Anyone know?