No notice of acceptance..but housing contract?

GeographyOSU

I've been waiting for about a month to hear back from UMD about my master's program application...still no word, even though the committee was supposed to have met already..but I did get an e-mail from the University regarding a contract for on-campus housing. Is this a unintentional way of telling me I got accepted? I don't want to get too optimistic, but I don't know if they submit applications to people who haven't been accepted yet?

You should go ahead and use this opportunity to pose a legitimate question. They sent you the housing info, so why did they? Ask. My experience with writing to profs and programs and admissions dept. after applications have been 80+ percent good or neutral. Definitely helped get me into two places, and in other cases merely confirmed the inevitable. I do have the advantage of having applied to a lot of programs, which allows for experimentation. (No interventions in some cases, contacting gambits in others that paid off well for a couple.)