Contacting professors after applications

Dff

Hello everyone!

I applied to several schools but didn't contact any professors in some of them (which I now regret). The administrative assistant at one of them told me that the committee is "still reviewing applications but she's hopeful that they'll make decisions in the next few weeks".

Should I use this chance to contact some professors since they haven't decided or is it too late?? 

I am just worried that I won't be considered for admission because I did not contacting any faculty members.  :(

Thanks!! 

I don't think it can hurt to contact professors. I did that after submitting my application, and professors were nice enough to get back to me. And keep in mind that they won't be receiving a deluge of mails after everyone has submitted.

If you express genuine interest, why should it come off as desperate? Everybody knows you applied because you want to get into the program. There's absolutely nothing wrong in expressing your interest.

Write a nice cover letter. Talk a bit about their research. Politely ask if it would be possible to have a quick chat over Skype.

I think it would majorly hurt your application.

What would be your goal in contacting them now other than try to help your chances of admission? Usually people contact professors before applying to make sure the research fit is compatible and make sure they will be taking students. Contacting now would be pointless because you already paid the fees and applied.

Is it equally pointless if you did not have to choose which professor to apply to? For supervision I mean? I am also now regretting that I didn't double check with any professors where I applied to even see if my research proposal would interest them :(

Is it equally pointless if you did not have to choose which professor to apply to? For supervision I mean? I am also now regretting that I didn't double check with any professors where I applied to even see if my research proposal would interest them :(

If I were you I would just wait out a decision and then if you do get in, then I would contact professors at that point to see if they are interested. Then you can see if it is a potential option without coming off like you are are trying to get them to help you out. The professors who you mentioned in your SOP (or general reserach area if you didnt mention professors by name) will more than likely recive and review your application even though you didnt email them. Emailing is helpful in knowing which schools are a good match but not necesary to get in. I would just wait it out now and see what happens!

If I were you I would just wait out a decision and then if you do get in, then I would contact professors at that point to see if they are interested. Then you can see if it is a potential option without coming off like you are are trying to get them to help you out. The professors who you mentioned in your SOP (or general reserach area if you didnt mention professors by name) will more than likely recive and review your application even though you didnt email them. Emailing is helpful in knowing which schools are a good match but not necesary to get in. I would just wait it out now and see what happens!

Yes, thank you for your responses :)