Columbia vs. U Penn

KNik

Hello Everyone,

I'm currently in the process of trying to debate which MSW program to attend in the fall and I'm between Columbia and Penn. Does anyone have any thoughts on these programs or are there any current students who could give me some insight? In retrospect, I've also been accepted at Pitt and USC and am waiting on hearing from NYU, Wisconsin, and Michigan. So any thoughts on those programs would also be appreciated. Thanks! 

Hey there KNik, I am in the same boat and would like to second your question! It is going to be a tough decision for sure and I hope folks on here can help us out. 

My own sense is that Columbia is very strong in clinical training and research, whereas Penn is stronger on policy and social justice. However, I hope others chime in, since this is just what I've heard, and I know both are great schools. I've had an easier time getting info from Penn's website and have been quite impressed, but I don't want to assume that CSSW doesn't have similar opportunities (or better) based just on that internet sleuthing. 

For my part, I'm hoping to work internationally with refugees (either clinical or macro) for an outfit like Doctors Without Borders, and am trying to determine which would provide the best opportunities for that. Any guidance appreciated!

In general, though, what are the reasons to choose one school over the other? KNik, what are you looking for and considering as you make your decision between the two?

Hey, marina415, thanks for the post! Right now, I've scheduled a visit to see Columbia at the end of the month, and am planning to see how the financials work out. Penn has a leg up right now since I've already visited, and they've offered me an academic scholarship. Logistics aside, I really love Penn's interdisciplinary focus. I am planning to do a dual degree in Social Work and Bioethics to examine mental health at both the clinical level, as well as the macro level in terms of solving the issue of providing access to adequate mental healthcare. However, every site I visit always seems to list Columbia as a top notch program, and I have to admit, it is definitely giving Penn a run for their money. Should I go to Columbia, I plan to get a dual degree in Social Work and Public Health (Columbia doesn't have Bioethics). I hope students from both programs will see this and offer up their thoughts. Then after I visit, I can compare the two schools side by side and make a decision. Fortunately, I can't go wrong either way. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hey there KNik, I am in the same boat and would like to second your question! It is going to be a tough decision for sure and I hope folks on here can help us out. 

My own sense is that Columbia is very strong in clinical training and research, whereas Penn is stronger on policy and social justice. However, I hope others chime in, since this is just what I've heard, and I know both are great schools. I've had an easier time getting info from Penn's website and have been quite impressed, but I don't want to assume that CSSW doesn't have similar opportunities (or better) based just on that internet sleuthing. 

For my part, I'm hoping to work internationally with refugees (either clinical or macro) for an outfit like Doctors Without Borders, and am trying to determine which would provide the best opportunities for that. Any guidance appreciated!

In general, though, what are the reasons to choose one school over the other? KNik, what are you looking for and considering as you make your decision between the two?

Hey, marina415, thanks for the post! Right now, I've scheduled a visit to see Columbia at the end of the month, and am planning to see how the financials work out. Penn has a leg up right now since I've already visited, and they've offered me an academic scholarship. Logistics aside, I really love Penn's interdisciplinary focus. I am planning to do a dual degree in Social Work and Bioethics to examine mental health at both the clinical level, as well as the macro level in terms of solving the issue of providing access to adequate mental healthcare. However, every site I visit always seems to list Columbia as a top notch program, and I have to admit, it is definitely giving Penn a run for their money. Should I go to Columbia, I plan to get a dual degree in Social Work and Public Health (Columbia doesn't have Bioethics). I hope students from both programs will see this and offer up their thoughts. Then after I visit, I can compare the two schools side by side and make a decision. Fortunately, I can't go wrong either way. :)

Hi KNik and Marina!

So glad to find this post, since I'm caught up with the same problem as well. I'm wondering if any of you is an international student? It makes my information gathering a lot more difficult.

Marina, I'm interested in international issues as well, either refugees or immigrants for example. Do you have any information on their alumni following this direction after graduation respectively? and what kind of qualification is more required? 

KNik, have you made up your mind? Any financial help from Columbia?

Thanks for your sharing!

I am not an international student. At this point I'm still undecided, but I'm leaning toward Penn. Both schools offered me the same amount of academic scholarship, but Columbia is still more expensive due to the high cost of living in NYC. Penn is a smaller school, (160 students vs 800) which is a big draw for me, and Penn has a dual degree in bioethics, which nicely complements my interests. I've also gotten into a few other schools I'm looking at, so it's up in the air.

Hello! 

Have you decided yet if you are going to Penn? I got admitted, but I am =debating between Michigan, Penn, and Washington. I AM STUCK! I really am aiming for Penn, but those rankings put Michigan up there.

I'll be visiting this week, but I have no clue what to do about deciding! How are you doing it!?

I'm actually a MI native, so I get the rankings thing, although I'd take them with a grain of salt. You never really know who is actually "ranking" each school. A lot of it is opinion based. Honestly, just go with your gut, when you know, you know. There is no magic formula for picking the perfect school.

Here's a great read on how the "rankings" for msw programs. Like other posters have said choose a school based on the fit and not the rankings. I'll be attending Penn in the fall. If you have any questions about the school or Philly feel free to message me.

http://sp2admissionsblog.blogspot.com/2013/08/beyond-rankings-assessing-msw-programs.html?m=1

I suggest you visit both. I was born and raised in NYC and I'm in Philly right now visiting. Without saying too much, it is not exactly what I was expecting. You should see which place you feel most comfortable in and forget the rankings, since they're all great programs.

I have actually visited both campuses. I am visiting one more, but I think I have an idea which way I am going to lean. Best of luck with you and your decision!

Edited by KNik

• 4 years later...