Advice needed on MA programs, please.

ajl1239

Hello everyone,

I am currently deciding between attending Georgetown's MAGIC program (MA in global, comparative and international history) or NYU's World History program (also a MA). My ultimate goal is to use the MA as a steppingstone to a doctorate in transnational history. Do any of you have an opinion on which would be a better program?

I'm currently leaning towards Georgetown, because it seems as if their program is geared more towards helping graduates pursue doctoral degrees and professional careers, while the NYU program appears less focused on those two things. Maybe I'm mistaken...

What are your opinions?

Thanks in advance for your help!

I'm not sure about either of these programs but there are two things you can consider - one being the cost of the program, two being if you can find any statistics about past participants and what they have gone on to do - choose the program with the most successful alumni or the alumni doing things that are most compatible with your interests.

As someone who is also planning to do transnational history, I looked at both programs for a while. My feeling was that the Georgetown program sounded a lot more exciting. BUT, it also seems a lot more geared towards people who will eventually end up in public policy (like so much else at Georgetown). On the other hand, while the NYU program didn't sound as exciting, in-and-of-itself, NYU does have far more faculty who teach in transnational history -- and who are trail-blazers in it. The feeling I got was that, while georgetown would be more fun (and honestly, you get to have a degree called MAGIC!), NYU might give you a better stepping stone into doctoral programs -- and might be more anchored in the academy. This has partly to do with the fact that NYU is ranked much higher than georgetown when it comes to history. Still, there are a few people on this forum who have experience with NYU's MA programs -- so they might be able to give better advice.

While you're at it, take a look at the LSE's MSc in the History and Theory of International Relations or Cambridge's MPhil in International Relations. Both would be good stepping stones to a doctoral program and have great faculty. Jonathan Haslan(m?), Richard Drayton and Andrew Preston are all historians associated with the program at Cambridge -- which has a strong historical focus http://www.intstudies.cam.ac.uk/courses/MPhil_IRa.html. Also, unless I'm mistaken, Erez Manela is in residence at Cambridge for the next two years on a sabbatical from Harvard. (He is one of the most important up-and-coming transnational historians out there -- read 'The Wilsonian Moment'). The LSE has Odd Arne Westad on the faculty -- one of my personal heroes (wrote the Bancroft prize winning 'The Global Cold War' and trained under Michael Hunt at UNC). LSE also has a tie-up with Columbia with a joint MA program in international history. Anyway, all of this might be beside the point if you've already applied and been accepted. Though I do think LSE is still accepting applicants for next year. English programs are generally shorter and cheaper than their American counterparts -- and are more likely to give you funding.

I would recommend telling the programs what you intend to do and asking how many of their students end up going on for a doctorate and where. NYU, for example, often thinks its MA students aren't good enough for their doctoral program, so you might want to take that into account. I'm sure they keep this information on what their graduates do after, and advisers should be willing to share it with you.

just this year there were a few students with MAs from NYU who were applying to the school's doctoral program. their profs assured them they'd be accepted, but they were either waitlisted or outright denied.

two years ago i applied for a joint MA there (journalism and latin american studies). was accepted, even offered partial funding, but my advisor asked some of her colleagues in the history department (who are close personal friends of hers) how the school views students trying to get into the history PhD program with an MA from NYU, and the profs said that it's generally not well looked upon.

if i were you, i'd go with georgetown. with NYU, it seems to be easier to get into their MA program, possibly because the students are paying for part or all of the degree, and much more difficult to get into their doctoral program, even with an MA degree from their own department.

two years ago i applied for a joint MA there (journalism and latin american studies). was accepted, even offered partial funding, but my advisor asked some of her colleagues in the history department (who are close personal friends of hers) how the school views students trying to get into the history PhD program with an MA from NYU, and the profs said that it's generally not well looked upon.

I've heard the same thing--from academics affiliated and not affiliated with NYU. I'm not sure if the profs at NYU frown upon internal applicants applying, but I've definately heard time and time again (from academics outside the university) that it's pretty much well understood that once you earn a terminal MA at one university, it's "time to move on" and pursue doctoral work at another institution.

I've heard the same thing--from academics affiliated and not affiliated with NYU. I'm not sure if the profs at NYU frown upon internal applicants applying, but I've definately heard time and time again (from academics outside the university) that it's pretty much well understood that once you earn a terminal MA at one university, it's "time to move on" and pursue doctoral work at another institution.

How scam-tastic.

ajl, I'm similarly considering MA programs (not your two specifically, but in the same field at similarly priced private institutions). Just curious, how were you funding your education? At this point I have a clear cut favorite, but the price tag is simply daunting!

ajl, I'm similarly considering MA programs (not your two specifically, but in the same field at similarly priced private institutions). Just curious, how were you funding your education? At this point I have a clear cut favorite, but the price tag is simply daunting!

Not sure if this was directed at me, but in the event that it was.... I taught full-time while earning my M.A., so my school district paid for my degree in full. I had to stick with the district for one year after completing the degree, but that wasn't an issue because it was an awesome district to begin with and I loved my job. It took me longer three years (taking 2 courses per semester) and one year for researching and writing the Master's thesis, but I have no graduate school debt. Yeah, the price tag was daunting.

Not sure if this was directed at me, but in the event that it was.... I taught full-time while earning my M.A., so my school district paid for my degree in full. I had to stick with the district for one year after completing the degree, but that wasn't an issue because it was an awesome district to begin with and I loved my job. It took me longer three years (taking 2 courses per semester) and one year for researching and writing the Master's thesis, but I have no graduate school debt. Yeah, the price tag was daunting.

Sorry I meant ajl1239, but it's good to hear how you funded yours as well! It's interesting to see the different ways people find funding, and I only wish I had explored these prior to applying.