Odd Acceptance Notifications

Academicat

So the last acceptance I received was very unlike the first few. The first four, I received a personal email or phone call with details about the assistantship, and in two cases, it was chased with warm, welcoming emails from faculty/students in the program and invitations to visit with various levels of funding.

The last one, however, was weird. I knew I was accepted because I received a packet in the mail with details about housing/meal plans early last week. That was followed by a generic snailmail with information about how to activate my email/register for classes. It sounds as if they just take for granted that I will be attending, and I haven't yet heard a whisper from the department, despite the fact that I contacted a POI early in the application process and have met him in other professional contexts. Has anyone else had an experience like this?

Edited by Academicat

I'd wait for the official offer of admission like your other programs have done. One school I applied to sent me housing info via email, and another activated my email account shortly after I finished uploading my application, and at that time both had not made a decision, so it happens, I think!