Working as an SLP in other countries?

Hello everyone,

I just had a random thought pop into my head. Does anybody know if you can work in another country if you become an SLP in the US? I like living here, but someday I might want to live in another country (probably an English-speaking one). Does anybody know how that might work? I'm totally set on becoming an SLP here in the US, I just wonder if I'm making it more difficult for myself to someday move to another country by choosing a career that's specific to American English. Any thoughts?

P.S. Good luck to everybody these next few days/weeks with getting accepted into their schools!

Edited by Papaya91

There are agreements between different countries, meaning your credentials would be recognized. I believe the agreement is between the US, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, UK, and Ireland. 

I really want to work in other countries too (I'm Canadian). But honestly, my biggest concern is always getting the visa to work in one of the countries listed above. Unless they're short on SLPs, they have no reason to give you one. 

I've done some research on this because I will likely be educated in the States but I want to come back to Canada to work. This website has been an excellent resource: http://sac-oac.ca/membership-certification/information-internationally-educated-speech-language-pathologists-and. If you're interested in working in Canada, check it out! 

Inny - That's a good point about getting a visa, I didn't think about that! I'm glad to hear about that international agreement, though. It makes me happy that there are options out there.

DeafAudi - Thanks for the link. :)

Edit: I found that ASHA has a page on it, too: http://www.asha.org/Certification/MultilateralMRA/

Edited by Papaya91