Scholarships/funding for Americans in studying Canada (PhD)?

adenning09

I'm currently looking into doctoral programs in physical anthropology. The majority of the programs I'm considering are in Canada; I am a low-income woman from the US who already holds a master's degree in physical anthropology.

Are there any general (larger) scholarships for Americans planning to do their doctorate in Canada that would apply to my situation? 

It depends on where you apply to. I know that there's the Ontario Trillium Scholarship for international students going to grad school in Ontario, but you need to be nominated. Same with the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships program. I'd look at the Government of Canada's website for information. It tends to be helpful.

Some of it will depend on what province you are going to school in. The Ontario Graduate Scholarship are $15,000 but you can only get them in Ontario. Also, depending on what field you are in, a lot of PhD programs will provide some level of funding for their PhD students (generally enough to cover at least tuition and fees + a small living stipend), but that will depend on the department/program. Keep in mind that a lot of programs don't advertise their funding packages online for legal reasons, but if you call and ask they might be able to give you an idea of what is available or likely.

I feel your pain. I have American citizenship but I'm living in Canada/applying to schools here, so I am automatically disqualified from almost every scholarship. I can't find any big ones, but I've been applying to small ones. Like the ones offered by The Wildlife Society and ones specific to professional organizations in my field or the province I'm in. They're usually only about $1500 or so though. :/