Stuck between three schools

kzsam

Hey! 

I've been offered admissions to three schools and I'm really torn as to which one to choose. Could anyone offer any insight into whether I should choose to do a PhD in genetics at UF, or a PhD in biomedical science at either Boston University or Tulane?

Hey! 

I've been offered admissions to three schools and I'm really torn as to which one to choose. Could anyone offer any insight into whether I should choose to do a PhD in genetics at UF, or a PhD in biomedical science at either Boston University or Tulane?

A big thing that stands out to me here is location. If the schools really are equal in every aspect, think about where you'd most enjoy living for the next 5 years or so. 

1) Which program offers the best research "fit"?

2) Which program has the strongest placement rates for the kind of work you'd eventually want to do?

3) Are the stipends comparable at each institution in relation to the cost of living? [boston will be much more expensive than Gainesville.] Is health care included? Is summer funding guaranteed?

4) What are the required teaching loads? A fellowship (non-teaching) offer from one of the schools might tip the balance?

If, after answering all these questions, you're still torn -- I'd say choose the location where you want to live the most. :)

Considering the awful winter we've been having here in the Northeast, all other things equal I think I might go for Tulane or UF, lol.

Seriously, it's already been said - consider research fit, placement rates, stipend levels, and the amount of work that you'd be expected to do.  If you can, visit the departments and consider your colleagues and how congenial they are.  But if it's really a three-way split and they are just equivalent in every way, pick the one where you'd most like to live.

There are advantages to small college towns (Gainesville) over large cities (New Orleans), btw.  They're generally far cheaper and you can get a nicer place for less money and potentially without roommates.  I just visited the place where I will be a postdoc next academic year, a large state university in a small college town, and the town is really charming.  There's plenty to do, drinks are super cheap ($3 happy hour?!) and the amenities are great (faculty and staff can join the state-of-the-art fitness center for $180/year, which is roughly $15/month and includes all of the fitness classes.  It's $250 per semester at my current location, and that doesn't include breaks, the summer, or any classes).  Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed being a graduate student in a large city for the most part, but it would've been nice to not live in a box for 6 years.

Edited by juilletmercredi

Thanks everyone! The three schools were very close in terms of stipend levels and placement rates, but in focusing on research fits and the city I would prefer to live in I was able to narrow it down.