Not including GPA on CV for RA jobs?

I'm have a bit of a dilemma. I have a very strong CV, including 2+ years research experience & posters, but my GPA is very low (3.25, at a respected school). I don't think this reflects my abilities at all...I never really recovered from freshman and sophmore year grades. My junior/senior gpa is 3.5, which I think is decent at my school. I work really hard in the labs I've been in, and will have great/enthusiastic references if any potential employer calls them. 

I think I would have a shot at these jobs if anyone read the rest of my CV, but my fear is that I'll be thrown out by HR/whoever's filtering applications purely because of that GPA at the top! :/

Should I leave it off, and be prepared to have an eloquent answer when they ask me during interviews? Or leave it on, and know that at least anyone asking me for an interview is doing so despite of my GPA? Would this be a huge red flag? I know for other types of jobs (in business, non-profits, etc), leaving the GPA off can be okay, but I'm worried it'll count against me since research assistantships are more academic.

I really need advice! I would never be dishonest about my GPA, I just want to secure the best chance of having my CV considered. Thank you in advance for any help!

Edited by breakfastinnyc2

When I graduated from undergrad, I applied to work as an RA full time (which I have been doing for almost 2 years now and I am 99% sure this experience is the reason why I was just admitted to my top choice program).  Like you, my GPA was fine but not a huge selling point for various reasons I won't get into here (brief version: a surgery my freshman year and a change in majors after my sophomore year).

I never put my GPA on my CV.  I don't think it hindered my ability to get a job and no one asked me why I didn't list it.  When I had my final interview at my current position, the lab director asked almost as I was out the door, "Oh, btw, what was your GPA?"  I just answered him truthfully and got a, "Okay, cool" in response.  I was offered the job and I took it.  I interviewed a few other places and no one else even asked about my GPA.

I think if your GPA is very strong, it's fine to list it.  But I don't think I hurt myself by not listing mine.  Of course, your mileage may vary, but I hope hearing about my past experience was helpful.

EDIT: I wanted to add that psychresearch also gave some helpful tips.  Listing last two years/last 60 units GPA can be useful, so can listing your major GPA.  I did this when I submitted my CV for grad school apps, but not for jobs.  I think doing this would be fine for a job as long as you label it appropriately.

Edited by Munashi

When I graduated from undergrad, I applied to work as an RA full time (which I have been doing for almost 2 years now and I am 99% sure this experience is the reason why I was just admitted to my top choice program).  Like you, my GPA was fine but not a huge selling point for various reasons I won't get into here (brief version: a surgery my freshman year and a change in majors after my sophomore year).

I never put my GPA on my CV.  I don't think it hindered my ability to get a job and no one asked me why I didn't list it.  When I had my final interview at my current position, the lab director asked almost as I was out the door, "Oh, btw, what was your GPA?"  I just answered him truthfully and got a, "Okay, cool" in response.  I was offered the job and I took it.  I interviewed a few other places and no one else even asked about my GPA.

I think if your GPA is very strong, it's fine to list it.  But I don't think I hurt myself by not listing mine.  Of course, your mileage may vary, but I hope hearing about my past experience was helpful.

EDIT: I wanted to add that psychresearch also gave some helpful tips.  Listing last two years/last 60 units GPA can be useful, so can listing your major GPA.  I did this when I submitted my CV for grad school apps, but not for jobs.  I think doing this would be fine for a job as long as you label it appropriately.

Thank you so much for your reply! I was under the impression that not listing your GPA was "taboo" and would make people think I had a <3.0 I was trying to hide :P It's good to hear a success story of a CV sans the GPA! I feel weird putting on JUST my junior/senior GPA (even if it makes the unofficial 3.5+ cutoff), so I'll probably just continue without any GPAs at all. 

I just realized I may have misunderstood your question and I want to clarify something!  When you say "RA jobs", do you mean research assistant/research coordinator?  Or were you talking along the lines of "resident advisor"?

When I answered you, I was talking about research-related work.  I am guessing you are too.  But it just dawned on me that "RA" can have multiple meanings, lol...

If they want your GPA they'll ask for it. In my lab we ask every candidate to send CV and transcript, so there would be no avoiding it. So in sum, it depends on the lab.

I just realized I may have misunderstood your question and I want to clarify something!  When you say "RA jobs", do you mean research assistant/research coordinator?  Or were you talking along the lines of "resident advisor"?

When I answered you, I was talking about research-related work.  I am guessing you are too.  But it just dawned on me that "RA" can have multiple meanings, lol...

Oh haha I meant research-related! :) Thank again!