MSW 2014 - How much do you expect to pay?

gadfly87

Hi,

I'm wondering how much the average MSW student can realistically expect to pay for their degree.  It's easy to see tuition numbers on the websites of various programs but I'm curious to know how much funding is actually given to students.

If you have been accepted to an MSW program, can you please share three points of information: Name & length of program, annual tuition, expected financial aid (list loans, scholarships and assistantship amounts separately.

I am most interested in University of Michigan and Washington University in St. Louis.  But I'd l hear about the others as well.

Thanks!

I recently heard a great rule of thumb... Only take out as much in student loans, as you make in a year.  Not sure how accurate that is, or if it applies to you, but thought I'd pass it along.

:)

I recently heard a great rule of thumb... Only take out as much in student loans, as you make in a year.  Not sure how accurate that is, or if it applies to you, but thought I'd pass it along.

:)

I've heard this too, but I honestly don't see how thats possible for everyone in social work. I like to think of student loans as "good debt" if you believe in such a thing. I read a Forbes article about it... made me feel better... 

For those Veterans who might already (or are planning on) applying to MSW programs, this is for you:

As you all know the Post 9/11 GI Bill has been active for almost 5 years and is a huge help for us Veterans in earning a college degree; however, it only lasts 36 months and though it covers full public tuition, there's a cap to coverage of private tuition.  If you are receiving any service-connected disabilities (with a rating of at least 20%) and you have at least 1 day left of your Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits, I highly encourage you to look into the VocRehab Ch.31 program and here's a link to some information about the program:  https://www.vets101.org/a/38/

Unlike the Post 9/11 GI Bill, VocRehab covers 100% of both private and public tuition, along with the cost of books & supplies, and if you have at least a day left of your Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits prior to applying to the program, you'll receive the monthly stipend as well.  Under VocRehab, the VA can cover your educational expenses up to 48 total months so if you have 4 months of Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits remaining, for example, and qualify for VocRehab, you'll receive a total of 16 months of benefits which = 2 years of graduate school.

Another thing to consider as well, are Veterans & military-related scholarships such as the Pat Tillman Foundation (http://pattillmanfoundation.org/) which, if you are accepted, can cover some of your graduate school expenses.

Having just initiated the VocRehab process, its focus is on Employment, not education.....and is not guarantee, as I just learned.  Yes, some folks do get education paid for once it is established you are not employable with your current skills, due to service connected disabilities.  One counselor may say yes and one may say no....mine said no.  Yes, you can fight and appeal, but just don't assume you just apply for it and it gets approved.

Plus, the Yellow Ribbon program, for those schools that participate, helps with the cap limits....you can google those schools participating in Yellow Ribbon program for Post 911 GI Bill...my school is on the list

Sorry to hear that you got denied RBWilliams.  Yes I forgot to mention that VocRehab's focus is on employment rather than education.  If your career goal requires a Master's degree (e.g., becoming a social worker) and you've met the prerequistes for the program (e.g., having a B.A. in a related field such as Psychology, Sociology, etc.), there's a strong chance you could be approved.  However, like RBWilliams mentioned, it's not a 100% guarantee unfortunately.  Acceptance into the program is up to the decision of the counselor you're assigned.

As for the Yellow Ribbon program, here's a link with some information:  http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/yellow_ribbon.asp and here's a link that you can search for schools in the state(s) you're applying to which participate in the Yellow Ribbon program:  http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/yellow_ribbon/yrp_list_2013.asp

The way the Yellow Ribbon program works is if the school's tuition is $35,000 a year and the max tuition paid for through the Post 9/11 GI Bill is $19000, then the difference is $16,000 a year.  If the school participates in the Yellow Ribbon program and offers $2,500 in scholarship money, the VA will match that amount so you would only owe $11,000 each year.  Obviously participation in the Yellow Ribbon program is contingent upon having time remaining on your Post 9/11 GI Bill and will end once you've exhausted those benefits.

But like I previously mentioned, there are a few Veterans and military-related scholarships that are offered for those seeking graduate-level education.

Oh, forgot this for veterans, regarding VocRehab and Post 9/11 GI bill.  If you have not used the Post 9/11 GI Bill and did not transfer it to your children or spouse before you got out military, VocRehab will make you use the Post 9/11 GI bill first before they will let you use VocRehab for college, if you get approve for college thru them.  Ben Krause (hope spelled right) has a blog that advocates for veterans and he has lots of info on getting VocRehab to pay for retraining thru additional college training (MSW, PHD, Law school,,,etc.).  Just for anyone considering this option.

Oh, to clarify, if you transferred your Post 9/11 benefits and are approved for college with VocRehab, they won't make you use the Post 9/11 benefits...ugg, yeah they are picky