Is a rejection a kiss-of-death?

esimanon

I applied to the MSW program at UCB and was rejected yesterday. I am wondering if this a a kiss-of-death - is there still a good chance I will get admitted if I improve my application and re-apply? Or is my application forever tainted?

Anyone else in the same boat? If so, what are your plans for re-applying?

Thanks all, good luck with admissions!

First, take a breath. Second, keep in mind that UC Berkeley is one of the most selective programs in the country and seems to have less flexibility than other programs with regard to what they want to see in an applicant (for example, number of years of prior SW experience). However, there's a very easy way to get an answer to your question. Ask them. If you contact the admissions department (maybe not right now as they're in their busiest season), they should be able to review your application with you and let you know where you were deficient. Based on their comments, you'll probably get a good idea as to whether those things can (or will) change in the next year .. or not. The bottom line is that depending on what part of the profession you want to enter, there are many very qualified programs. It looks like you still have another pending application -- and, if not, just expand your search next time. Good luck to you.

Thank you @MJL34! You are so level-headed and just plain right - the rejection has got my head spinning. Have you gone through this process before?

Anyone else in the same boat?

Edited by esimanon

I applied to CSUF last year and got notification of being waitlisted in May of that year. Unfortunately, I never moved past the waitlist position and did not end up getting admitted.

This year, I re-submitted my application to CSUF. I tweaked my personal statement a bit and simply submitted my application a bit earlier (two weeks before the deadline). CSUF ended up being the first school to contact me and schedule an interview! I received a confirmation of my admission this past weekend via e-mail. There's still hope for you. Maybe just consider speaking to one of the admissions counselors and asking for advice on what you can do to improve your application for the following year. Good Luck!

• 3 weeks later...

I applied to the MSW program at UCB and was rejected yesterday. I am wondering if this a a kiss-of-death - is there still a good chance I will get admitted if I improve my application and re-apply? Or is my application forever tainted?

Anyone else in the same boat? If so, what are your plans for re-applying?

Thanks all, good luck with admissions!

I am in a somewhat relatable position. I have already been rejectedby one school. I do not plan on re-applying though. I figure I must just not have been seen as a good fit for their program when I applied.

My application for another school, my dream school, has been postponed for the official decision until Summer. (At first I was really disappointed. However, I took it as an opportunity to get additional LOR and start doing some more regular volunteer work for my application before this semester finishes up.

I am still applying to another Uni (a state school).

So getting rejected stinks at first. Take it as a learning experience, call the admissions office and (politely) ask if they can go over why you didn't get accepted. It is from my experience that they are more than willing to answer your questions. :)

Hope this helped.

I applied to 7 schools (a lot I know) but that's because I got rejected the first time around (only applying to 2 programs) and the odds are higher with the more schools you apply to.  I asked the schools I was rejected to for some feedback on re-applying and they said I just flat out needed more experience seeing that I had just graduated when I applied.  I did just that and got accepted into two programs so far.  The more schools you apply to, the better.  They really value life experience, and the more you gain, the better.  Good luck everyone!