Admitted Georgetown Global Human Development (GHD) Anyone?

Just wondering if anyone else has gotten an admit/rejection from GHD and wanted to talk more about the opportunities or thoughts on going to GHD. 

Also - if anyone is currently in GHD, would you mind sharing your experiences?

A BIG thank you!

I just got the rejection from GHD on March 5. My overall application package is not so strong. (several years WE in non-profit sector in a developing country but with a low GMAT/TOEFL score).

To SoutheastSeas: would you like to share your background? I really like this program. But I know it is very competitive. 

Good luck to others who have applied this program. 

I was admitted last week, pretty excited about the program. I've spoken to a few students in their 2nd year and they've had really good things to say about their experiences. Of course, there are some kinks still being worked out, but I think for those that have a good sense of what they'd like to do and are looking for a smaller, tighter knit program, this could be a great opportunity. Assuming I can get off work for the admitted students day, I'm planning on going! 

Thank you both for responding! 

theskinny - would you be able to give us an update about the admitted students day? I will be unable to attend. Will you be joining the upcoming chat? 

I also got an acceptance on February 27th, which sent me over the moon. I am still waiting to hear from some other programs. 

Initially the program sounded wonderful and I liked the small classes, the attention to the students, it being in SFS - but I am worried about the "kinks" and the fact that it is a new program. Do you all have any thoughts on that? 

To bleu929: I graduated cum laude from a top 10 IR undergrad, mediocre GRE scores, and 2.5 years working experience in NGOs and experience with the UN. 

Edited by SoutheastSeas

I don't think I'll be joining the online chat, but I'd be happy to give a report on the admitted students day. 

As for the new program issue, I suppose I don't see that as entirely negative. With some other IR schools I get the sense that there is this sort of entrenched "way things are done here", which isn't always so positive. I'm guessing as the first cohorts have moved through the program, they've had a chance to tweak any issues that come up, and the flexibility to respond to students/employer's needs really appeals to me. Of course, it's possible I've already have a little confirmation bias kicking in :) 

I don't think I'll be joining the online chat, but I'd be happy to give a report on the admitted students day. 

As for the new program issue, I suppose I don't see that as entirely negative. With some other IR schools I get the sense that there is this sort of entrenched "way things are done here", which isn't always so positive. I'm guessing as the first cohorts have moved through the program, they've had a chance to tweak any issues that come up, and the flexibility to respond to students/employer's needs really appeals to me. Of course, it's possible I've already have a little confirmation bias kicking in :)

You already say things like confirmation bias in regular conversation - totally ready for grad school :)

Get ready for more of that and critiquing every "study" anyone puts up on Facebook (even more so than you already do) - "How big is their sample?" "What kind of omitted variables might we be dealing with here" and of course "did they run an RCT?"

All jokes aside, I have basically gotten the same sense about the new vs. established programs.  As in, word for word.  I think being the 3rd cohort will be interesting because things will be running much more smoothly and you'll have precedents for projects, etc., but they're still open to change.

• 2 weeks later...

I got my acceptance email on Feb 26 -- also sent me through the roof!

Deciding between the SIPA MDP and the Georgetown program. Any thoughts on how to go about deciding between the two?

I just realized that I promised a report from the accepted students day! Without notes in front of me I'll try and hit the important points.

- The faculty and program directors seem almost unbelievably committed and engaged with students. They sat down with us for an hour and answered every question and concern that we had about the program. The professors seemed very approachable and there is a great camaraderie between current students and their professors. They stressed the quantitative and analytical aspects of the program, while assuring us that this would all be grounded in a practical approach. They're not interested in students memorizing formulas or derivations for their own sake, they want to give you the tools to be effective. 

-The current students seem to be really happy there. At the end of the day, I actually asked a few of them what they didn't like about the program...they didn't come up with much. I think the size of the program might make some people a little claustrophobic during the first semester when all classes are taken together. But this seems like a plus in the sense that you wind up with a very tight knit cohort. Other than that, everyone seemed to be getting a ton out of their classes and internships

-The only other thing I'll note (Sweet 16 just started!) is that they do seem to be tweaking the program as they go. They're trying out a new core class next year based on students' feedback, and the program directors seem to be taking input from students really seriously as they continue to refine the classes etc. 

Let me know if anyone has questions- I can probably beef this up a little later! All in all, the program looks incredible, I'd be really happy going there.