University of Oregon 2014

Hey,

Due to my husband business I am only going to be applying for the SLP program at the UO. Anyone else apply to the UO as 1st choice or even 2nd? What about as a back up?! 

Thanks ballerina! 

Here's hoping! I talked to my advisor yesterday at UO and she told me they have pretty much finalized everything and just need to send the info over to the secretary to send out! Nervous!

Hey,

Due to my husband business I am only going to be applying for the SLP program at the UO. Anyone else apply to the UO as 1st choice or even 2nd? What about as a back up?! 

What is your back up? I ask because I feel like that is such a huge risk - applying to only one program. I really want to work in the SLHS field and moving away from my SO will suck but I feel like in the grand scheme of life it will only be a 2 year separation that will be filled with monthly visits and summer breaks and winter breaks and skype and whatever else we can do... 

Really, I do wish all the best. 

Thanks for asking. My husband and I have a child together, and I am simply not willing to take my son away from his father while I go to school. While my education is important my family comes first. So my plan if I don't get in is to work as an assistant for a year and reapply. I might also be able to continue assisting my professors on the grant/research work as well. 

Thanks for asking. My husband and I have a child together, and I am simply not willing to take my son away from his father while I go to school. While my education is important my family comes first. So my plan if I don't get in is to work as an assistant for a year and reapply. I might also be able to continue assisting my professors on the grant/research work as well. 

Okay, ya that totally makes sense and the circumstances. I know there are online programs too. Your follow-up/year off plan seems totally legit though.  Really, good luck to you! 

What is your back up? I ask because I feel like that is such a huge risk - applying to only one program. I really want to work in the SLHS field and moving away from my SO will suck but I feel like in the grand scheme of life it will only be a 2 year separation that will be filled with monthly visits and summer breaks and winter breaks and skype and whatever else we can do... 

Really, I do wish all the best. 

ImpulsiveNixie moving form your SO? What is SO?

I'm not applying to UO, but I am also only applying to one school this year. I have kids who go to an awesome school and a husband with a great job, so I can't uproot everyone. I wasn't even going to apply this year, but I decided to just go for it and I'll expand to a couple other programs with a long commute and an online option or two next year if it doesn't pan out.

Good luck!!!

Hi everyone!  I am starting my post-bacc program this fall at USU.  I am currently working as special education teacher, and continue to do so for the next two years as I complete my post-bacc courses.  I have a pretty low GPA from my first BA (under 3.0!) but I have maintained a 4.0 throughout my Special Education Master program and credential courses.  U of O is definitely my dream school for communication disorders!  I won't be applying to begin until Fall 2016 (sounds so far away!) but I was wondering if anyone had any advice on someone who is just starting to look at being an SLP.  Do I even have a chance at U of O?  I am new to all of this, so I am open to any feedback! Thanks :)

Hi everyone!  I am starting my post-bacc program this fall at USU.  I am currently working as special education teacher, and continue to do so for the next two years as I complete my post-bacc courses.  I have a pretty low GPA from my first BA (under 3.0!) but I have maintained a 4.0 throughout my Special Education Master program and credential courses.  U of O is definitely my dream school for communication disorders!  I won't be applying to begin until Fall 2016 (sounds so far away!) but I was wondering if anyone had any advice on someone who is just starting to look at being an SLP.  Do I even have a chance at U of O?  I am new to all of this, so I am open to any feedback! Thanks :)

You definitely have a chance!  I also have a low undergrad GPA, but I did really well in my post-bac courses and volunteered/worked as much as I could in order to gain more exposure to the field.  Initially, I was worried that my post-bac GPA and my clinical experience wouldn't compensate for my undergrad GPA, but all of it paid off because I was accepted to U of O this year!  The fact that you have experience working as a special ed teacher and that you've maintained an excellent GPA in your master's program is a huge advantage.  All I can say is continue working hard, volunteer/shadow SLPs in different settings, and, if possible, apply for a practicum assistantship through your post-bac program.

Best of luck to you!! :)

You definitely have a chance!  I also have a low undergrad GPA, but I did really well in my post-bac courses and volunteered/worked as much as I could in order to gain more exposure to the field.  Initially, I was worried that my post-bac GPA and my clinical experience wouldn't compensate for my undergrad GPA, but all of it paid off because I was accepted to U of O this year!  The fact that you have experience working as a special ed teacher and that you've maintained an excellent GPA in your master's program is a huge advantage.  All I can say is continue working hard, volunteer/shadow SLPs in different settings, and, if possible, apply for a practicum assistantship through your post-bac program.

Yay! Congratulations! I think the practicum assistantship is a great idea! I have been doing one for two terms now and love it!

Yay! Congratulations! I think the practicum assistantship is a great idea! I have been doing one for two terms now and love it!

Thank you, BeautifulDay! :)

Thanks jg1004! I will have to look into practicum assistantships and whether they are something I can do while still working as a special education teacher.  Thanks for the encouragement!  I will keep hoping that U of O will want me in two years.

What do ya wanna know about their programs that isn't on their website? I am happy to help if I can. And re: the second languages, I think it has to do with the way they point the applications.

BeautifulDay, is it a good program? Do students enjoy being there? Do they give you a chance to have an emphasis? They say they are research based but I couldn't find anything about any research labs that weren't just in the Ed department.

I am friends with several grad students. It's hard. Especially if you are going into the program without your Neuro requirements but everyone one I know really likes the program. I am not sure about labs. I know that what they teach is based on research, so maybe that is what they meant? Did you get accepted/waitlisted? I think they have an open house coming up, it might be useful for you to attend, or you can email?