Freaking out. Please help!!

HermoineG

I am freaking out! Please help!

Ok, I did not know this fabulous site 6 months ago when I planned on applying for experimental psychology MA programs and started working toward it. I didn't ask too many people about it and I asked about MA programs to MA students only [huge sampling error :( ].

Now I have couple of offers in hand and now I have done some research about Phd. Earlier I thought I stood no chance at Phd admission, in spite of having a good GPA (3.81). Unfortunately I don't have any publications on my name. So this triggered me to apply for MA programs in order to get some publications and know about my research options. Now I have this amazing MA research offer where I will be working on Health Psychology research.

Only yesterday it hit me that I will only have one year to improve my chances for Phd programs. By next August, I will have to start with Phd applications. Will one year be enough to get some solid research experience, to publish a paper or give a presentation??  Am I kidding myself here?? Am I just wasting money here?? I am so confused right now. Looking at results section, I know that I dont stand chance of Phd right now. I have good GPA and good recommendation letters but that was not going be enough.

Now I am very confused. Should I go ahead with MA? Has anyone here done experimental MA psychology and then successfully gotten into Phd programs? Will it help?

My top choice program has accepted me and I am going to be working on physical/mental health research which means I am going to be applying for clinical Phd after 1 year. Clinical Psychology is super competitive and now I am scared! Please help me. Please tell me that somebody here has gone through my route and has gotten into Phd program.

P.S.- one of my POI told me when I was interviewing with her that getting a masters degree will not ensure PhD clinical admission. She said - in fact very few of candidates get in. I know she was pointing out reality but now I am scared.

I am also expecting to hear back from one of the programs where I have applied for Developmental Psych MA. Is developmental Psych less competitive than Clinical? Is developmenta Phd easier to get in that clinical? Should I just give up on this clinical program (which I love) and hope to get into developmental program??

Sorry, I know I have written too much here :( But I am so worried now.

Thanks in adavnce and good luck to all of you.

A 1-year MA is riskier than 2-year master's with a thesis option. That being said, if you get an RA/RC job, they often carry 2-year commitments. I think you'll just have to weigh the opportunities in the program versus the opportunities you can get outside of it, if you maximize your time/volunteer in labs/etc.

I have my MS in Experimental Psychology concentrating in Behavioral Neuroscience; granted I also have about 2.5 years of research experience at my current job in my current area of interest, but I received offers and interviews for PhD programs (not clinical though). Personally, I feel I got offers because of my research experience and LOR's.

Have you thought about applying for lab manager positions? They are typically 2-year commitments, but at least you get paid-- you also can gain valuable administrative and research skills. And depending on the PI, there are often opportunities to get authorship on projects. I currently know of 2 faculty at great universities looking for lab managers for next fall, so PM me if you'd like more info!

Clinical is the most difficult area of psychology to get into. An MA won't ensure you will get accepted, but it will likely improve your chances. Aim high. If you settle for less, you'll never know how much you can potentially accomplish.

Thank you Mr. Bugle. This makes me feel lot better.

A 1-year MA is riskier than 2-year master's with a thesis option. That being said, if you get an RA/RC job, they often carry 2-year commitments. I think you'll just have to weigh the opportunities in the program versus the opportunities you can get outside of it, if you maximize your time/volunteer in labs/etc.

Hi PsychGirl1, sorry may be I wasn't clear before. I got into 2 years experimental program. I said I have one year to improve my chances because- I'll join for Fall 2014 and I will have to start preparing for Phd applications by 2015 August/Sept. But I have been offered an RA job at this school where they follow mentorship model wherein all students are immediately given mentors who let them work in their labs. I do not know if this happens in all schools.

Thanks both of you for replying.

Have you thought about applying for lab manager positions? They are typically 2-year commitments, but at least you get paid-- you also can gain valuable administrative and research skills. And depending on the PI, there are often opportunities to get authorship on projects. I currently know of 2 faculty at great universities looking for lab managers for next fall, so PM me if you'd like more info!

osculations, wow this sounds great! I am still deciding about what to do with these two programs. I will PM you if I decide that I am not going through with it. Thank you :)

I would recommend a 2 year M.A. that requires a thesis.

hey joshw4288, I got into the same luckily.

I have my MS in Experimental Psychology concentrating in Behavioral Neuroscience; granted I also have about 2.5 years of research experience at my current job in my current area of interest, but I received offers and interviews for PhD programs (not clinical though). Personally, I feel I got offers because of my research experience and LOR's.

kpsych, thats really great! I too have good research experience and also 4 years of corporate experience, good extra curricular (working as a German-English translator). Although it is not relaed to Clinical Psych, I think it will help. Good luck to you with your research.

I knew I needed to do MA, I dont have much choice right now. I feel apprehensive about working in lab for a year and then applying for Phd, because it may/may not improve my chances. Whereas MA will improve my chance by getting even better LORs and taking some advance classes. Thank you all for replying. Reading replies making me feel a little more confident. I guess I need to take whats given to me right now and I know its best.  This school is the best research fit for me and the advisor is amazing prof, very personable and friendly.

Thank you guys.

Honestly, I'm a strong advocate of NOT getting a Master's if you plan on going for a PhD.  I knew I wanted to go for my PhD eventually and figured, why go to an expensive Master's program when I could get a job where I'd get paid to gain more relevant experience?  I got a full-time job straight out of undergrad (BS in Psych, job was a clinical research assistant) and was able to work on some great projects, published 4 articles, went to multiple conferences, etc. all while earning money.  I'm starting my PhD program this fall.  So I have to say I don't think a Master's gives you a leg up on PhD applications.  Almost all the people I know who have been accepted into a PhD Psych program did not have a Master's, but did have relevant research experience.