Research in another department/area?

wiggy1325

My concentration area I'll be going into is Behavioral Science/Health Promotion. I also have a large interest in the psychology aspect of health.Is there a rule written/unwritten that I shouldn't try and work with a professor from the psych department (if they even would). Behavioral and Psych are somewhat related. Just wondering if anyone has done this or how I should approach it.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I worked exclusively outside of my department during my MPH years and will likely be working on a super interdisciplinary project when I start PhD in the fall. Do it! Collaboration across disciplines is vital (and a future selling point for you!).

^second this! public health is interdisciplinary in nature and it's really up to individuals how they want to take advantage of this. more importantly, as a student you should really go for where you want to take your career because you are paying for your education. aim to find advocates within your department/school who would be willing to help you gain the experience you aim to achieve.