Telling the truth about other offers at interview

HockeyNerd

I have my final interview soon. I am very excited about the school but I would need full funding in order to attend. I already have a full funded offer (also super excited about). In my previous interviews I was asked the "do you have any other offers/are you considering any other universities".

At that point I could honestly say that I had not received any offers but I was considering other universities and dropped the subject.

If I was asked about funding at other universities do you think I should say the status, or just say something along the lines of "I have interviewed at other universities and am being considered for funding." (so sort of a lie). I have heard conflicting views 

a) if you say you are fully funded they will think you are desirable to other universities and want to fund you as well

B) if you say you are fully funded they will assume you have another good option and will not be as interested

If anyone has any experience with this, or suggestions I would love to hear.

I have seen questions and answers about this matter too many times on the forum to count, ranging from before, during, and after application, during interviews/visits, in correspondences, etc. and I have heard many different opinions. In my own experiences going through this process, answering this type of question did not change anything whatsoever. I have a hard time lying or omitting the truth in front of people so I was always compelled to tell them the truth about what schools I applied to and what acceptances I received, depending on where I was in the process. So far it has not cost me any acceptance or prevent any rejection (to be fair the programs to which I got rejected didn't bother asking in the first place). I think it is really field-dependent, and logically if there's a gap between where you've already been accepted and offered funding (higher rank) and where you're being interviewed (lower rank), it may deter them from making you an offer, but if they're comparable programs and/or they feel they're a good fit for you, I don't see why they would not throw their hat in the ring and compete for the best candidates so to speak. Sorry that was a long sentence. In summary, my own view is to just tell them the truth and let them worry about the rest. You have a hard enough decision to make later on.

It is not such a big deal if you keep two things in mind:

1. Do not bring up your other applications/results unless asked for (or necessary for other reasons).

2. Do not lie about your other applications/results if asked for.

Be discreet.

Edited by Kleene

Thanks for the responses, i would never bring it up but it is nice to know that others have dealt with this and it did not have a major impact. I am also a terrible liar, so you know it might have been more awkward to lie anyways.

I would tell the truth if they ask. I wouldnt worry about it hurting or helping your chances. You want to find out about them during the interview and they want to find out about you, including the other schools that you are considering. I would just answer if they ask and not make a big deal about it. Don't rub in their face or try to use it as leverage of course.

I always feel the best move is to be truthful.  I never volunteered the information but always was forefront when they asked.  Some schools like to know their competition and are generally curious.  I don't feel anyone was making changes in my status based on those results.