Jump to content

Gap between admission acceptance date and admission decision of other school (HELP)


Localchampion
 Share

Recommended Posts

 I applied to only two school; which I now realize is not a great idea. One is my top choice, the other is my secound top choice. I got an admission offer (no aid - MSc - 1 year) from my secound top choice for my secound choice program. They informed me of the decision fairly quickly in February.

 

The problem is that my top choice is yet is send out admission decisions. They were supposed to begin on March 1st but they sent out an email saying they were still working on it and will get it out before the 14th. I just called in today and they say they are still working on it and will get it out before the 16th. The other school is understandably getting antsy with me. I got an extension on my admission acceptance date till March 12th and I am already receiving prodding emails from the head of the department. I considered accepting the other school's admission to be safe; but I will have to put down a $600 deposit.

 

My first choice is obviously the school I am leaning towards, but with only two choices I cannot reject the other school if I am not assured admission. Now I am in full panic mode. I don't know what to do.

 

PS: I foresaw this kind of dilemma occurring so I applied early decision to my top choice. But one of my professors sent out my letter of recommendation really late (and after intense prodding) so my application was pushed to the regular period.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm sort of in the same boat! I applied to 6 schools, 4 have gotten back, 2 I am seriously considering. However, one of them has an acceptance deadline for April 30th, the other for April 2nd. Of course the admissions gods decide that my top choice schools respond the latest - and I have no idea when they will release decisions.

 

I sent an email to the admissions department for both schools to extend the deadline until May. neither have gotten back to me. I hope it doesnt end in a rescinded offer...

 

anyways, it depends how ok you'd be to settle for this 2nd school, like if you didnt get in would you really be happy going to this 2nd school? in that case id drop the $600. presuming your first choice is a reach and youre not so confident you'll get it. if you are though and it's a matter of 6 days. I'd wait!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Argh! The second school is quite good and was my top choice for awhile. I am somewhat confident of my chances in regards to my top choice, but not really. If that makes any sense. I would think these universities would co-ordinate themselves as to avoid these kinds of common troubles. I am gonna call my second choice tonight and see if I can shift it a few days back. I don't trust my chances though. I just mind end up accepting the offer :unsure:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They extended it! :D:lol: :lol: yay!

 

 

I sent an email to the admissions department for both schools to extend the deadline until May. neither have gotten back to me. I hope it doesnt end in a rescinded offer...

 

Perhaps you should call. It is more effective than emailing. This is what I have gathered from this tedious admissions process. Goodluck!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have the same problem! I got accepted into Carleton (which I didn't think I had a chance of getting into) but they gave a small window of accepting or declining the offer. I just emailed my other choice and they said they wont be sending out offers until the end of March, which runs past my deadline for Carleton. I've just emailed Carleton asking for an extension, and I'm hoping this doesn't annoy them. Is there a chance Carleton could rescind the offer? Now I'm nervous haha

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I doubt a school would rescind an offer just because you are asking for more time. As long as you're polite, they shouldn't be upset. People who are involved in this process know that Canadian schools decide at very different times, so they're probably used to students emailing/calling to ask for additional time. The worst thing they can say is "no". :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.