Language resources for religious studies (let's compile a list!)

Paraclete

We're almost at 100!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhvTDVbklJMddGpWTEZWRW9fdWVESW1lYnA5NEJZRmc&usp=drive_web#gid=0

Now, if only we can convince the Department of Education/FLAS that "dead" languages can also be related to national security.... -_-

That is fantastic! Nice work, Paraclete!

Can I suggest posting this as a separate thread and then we can ask for it to be pinned?

Sure. I'll post in a second, although I'm not sure how one goes about getting it pinned?

Also: does anyone know of resources for studying Sanskrit? I'm coming up a bit short there. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Paraclete, I wanted to share two more with you for your list: we've been using Allen Ross's Introducing Biblical Hebrew book in my class, and I didn't see it on the list. The site Animated Hebrew also has a lot of resources that go specifically with this text, so I have found it more useful than Pratico and Van Pelt's.

Also, Wheelock's Latin has a very helpful reader that could go on the list as well.

Thanks again for taking the time to make the list. I made sure to refer my Greek students to it last semester.

• 2 months later...

I know Old Church Slavonic has been mentioned (which I plan to get around to eventually-ish), but can anyone recommend a reader on par with Wilson or Sandberg, but for Russian? Or Church Slavonic?

I'm having difficulty finding one. I have some familiarity with the Russian language (and none with Church Slavonic), so reading texts rife with Russian jargon specific to certain disciplines or before the 18th century has proven quite difficult.

Are you defining Church Slavonic as 13th century through the present? I ask because I'm aware that there's a difference between Old Church Slavonic and Church Slavonic, but where people draw the line is a point of contention.

10 years ago or so, I'd have told you to reach out to Victor Kamkin Bookstore as they carried a very nice selection of grammars and other books on OCS and CS - many of the texts quite rare. Unfortunately when they went under they incinerated several hundred thousand texts. That said, I know a guy that teaches CS as a layperson but from what I understand, he teaches it to people that are already familiar with Russian. I'm sure he'll have some advice anyway though.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know any good resources for Persian/Farsi?  That will likely be my next language, and I wouldn't mind getting a jump start.

Also, how different is modern Farsi from older forms?  I don't mean Pahlavi, but if I wanted to ultimately be reading, say, Nasir-e Khosraw, or even Mulla Sadra, would a foundation in modern Farsi be helpful?  Or has the language changed dramatically since then?

Thackston's Introduction to Persian, and his Millenium of Classical Persian Poetry as a reader, are great. New Persian has been pretty static—it's normal to to be able to read back about the last 1000 years or so, maybe a bit more or less. Particularly if you already have Arabic you should be fine. If not, you'll work through the Persian and learn tons of Arabic vocabulary on the way.

(This is based on three semesters, so your mileage may vary.)

• 3 years later...