Length of PhD in Psychology

suggestmeaname

1. For those who are currently enrolled and/or finished with their PhD program in Psychology in the US

How long did it take you? How long do you think it will take?

2. What would you do if you were me? I already gotten a master's degree in psychology (major in personality and social). Now I am planning to go abroad to get my PhD (particularly in the US). But most PhD programs in the US requires an additional master's thesis even if I have one, which takes 5-6 years to finish. And I think thats too long to finish, and somehow waste of time...(I already have my master's). But I found some schools in the UK or Australia which have a PhD program in 3 years length.So I am thinking from the two kinds of programs. Personally I prefer going to the US because it was my dream since I was a fresh undergraduate, also my friends attend school there, and my parents also prefer me going to the US if ever I have my goals set to get a PhD abroad. Nevertheless, I have no discrimination against other schools around the world, it is just that my parent's preference is getting into my nerves, its making me hesitant to apply to degrees elsewhere.

my priorities in looking at the program:

a. the program itself ofcourse (research fit)

b. length of program (preferrably 3 years)

c. big opportunities for scholarships and TA/RA

but the biggest would be the length of time. Are there any schools in the US that offers a PhD program in psychology without requirements for masters and straight PhD?

Are there any advices for me out there? Please help gradcafe seniors! I need your wisdom

Thank youuuuuuu t.t

1. For those who are currently enrolled and/or finished with their PhD program in Psychology in the US

How long did it take you? How long do you think it will take?

2. What would you do if you were me? I already gotten a master's degree in psychology (major in personality and social). Now I am planning to go abroad to get my PhD (particularly in the US). But most PhD programs in the US requires an additional master's thesis even if I have one, which takes 5-6 years to finish. And I think thats too long to finish, and somehow waste of time...(I already have my master's). But I found some schools in the UK or Australia which have a PhD program in 3 years length.So I am thinking from the two kinds of programs. Personally I prefer going to the US because it was my dream since I was a fresh undergraduate, also my friends attend school there, and my parents also prefer me going to the US if ever I have my goals set to get a PhD abroad. Nevertheless, I have no discrimination against other schools around the world, it is just that my parent's preference is getting into my nerves, its making me hesitant to apply to degrees elsewhere.

my priorities in looking at the program:

a. the program itself ofcourse (research fit)

b. length of program (preferrably 3 years)

c. big opportunities for scholarships and TA/RA

but the biggest would be the length of time. Are there any schools in the US that offers a PhD program in psychology without requirements for masters and straight PhD?

Are there any advices for me out there? Please help gradcafe seniors! I need your wisdom

Thank youuuuuuu t.t

My program is 6-7 years, which includes a year-long internship. We are longer than most other (clinical) programs, which are typically 4+1 or 5+1.

I got my 2-year master's degree before entering the program, as did almost my entire class. When I interviewed, programs significantly varied on how they handled master's. Some would let you waive classes, some would let you waive your thesis IF you submitted your master's thesis and it was approved by a committee as being quality enough, some would allow both, and some neither. I ended up choosing a program that didn't allow either, which I was okay with, because I wanted to ensure I had a great foundation, got to know the faculty, and I had no interest in making my program shorter.

My opinion: I know it's easy to get short-sighted and just want your degree ASAP, but you really have to think about what is best for your career. You aren't from the states, so you probably haven't networked much here. Yes, your PhD program is about your degree, but it's also about developing solid research skills, solid writing and presenting skills, and clinical skills (if you're clinical). It's about networking, developing a relationship with your mentor, cohort, and people in your field. It's about getting as many publications, presentations, and posters as possible in the time that you're there. Staying in your program longer will let you do more interesting research projects- grad school is one of the few times you will have such a fantastic support network (your lab, mentor, committee, etc.) who is willing to help you learn, apply for more competitive grants (such as F31), and be prepared upon graduation to get a highly competitive post-doc (and internship, if you're clinical) and then faculty position. Rushing the process will possibly/likely put you at a disadvantage throughout the beginning of your actual career. Just my point of view :)

Many Canadian universities (e.g. McGill, U of British Columbia, Toronto) have reputable programs that are on par with any US program. And, at many Canadian psych programs, you must have a master's to apply to the PhD - you're probably more likely to get through quicker at these schools. These Canadian universities are just as prestigious and great (i.e, produce great research) as American universities.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with PsychGirl1.  Most psychology programs in the U.S. are designed to take 5-6 years, and you will be hard pressed to find any program that you can finish in 3-4 years.  What you should do is entirely dependent upon where you want to work.  If you want to be a professor in the U.S., then you should probably get an American (or Canadian) PhD unless you can get into one of the few psychology PhD programs in Europe or Australia that are competitive for faculty positions in the U.S.  If you want to teach and do research in your home country, then stay there and do the PhD there, or go to one of the other international institutions in which you can finish in 3-4 years.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with PsychGirl1.  Most psychology programs in the U.S. are designed to take 5-6 years, and you will be hard pressed to find any program that you can finish in 3-4 years.  What you should do is entirely dependent upon where you want to work.  If you want to be a professor in the U.S., then you should probably get an American (or Canadian) PhD unless you can get into one of the few psychology PhD programs in Europe or Australia that are competitive for faculty positions in the U.S.  If you want to teach and do research in your home country, then stay there and do the PhD there, or go to one of the other international institutions in which you can finish in 3-4 years.

Thank you for the advice !