How did I Fail so Hard?

structuralBio

To OP:

Did you develop relationships with any potential PI's?

I also wanted to say that I don't think it's too late to find lab job until next cycle as these jobs seem to hire year round. 

- were my GRE's really that bad and do I need to retake?

- is it my lack of a lot of direct experience in this field what got me rejected?

- should i give up on biophysics and just apply to cell/molecular biology programs next time where I have a more relevant degree and experience?

- does not having a published paper make me a weak candidate? 

- what is usually the minimum number of schools you need to apply to usually to guarantee acceptance to at least 1? 10? 15?

I'm just really disappointed because this was what I knew I wanted to do for all four years of undergrad and now I feel like a worthless failure. I refuse to let this happen again.

About your GREs: no, you do not have to retake them.  You can if you want but 160 is competitive enough.  

About the lack of direct research experience:  nope.  Research is research for the most part.  What grad programs are looking for, in particular Ph.D.s, is that you have enough research experience to know if you like it or not.  I mean, look at the Already Accepted sub forum....a heckofalot of students figuring out that they actually hate doing research...after they have already been accepted...

About giving up on biophysics and reapplying to a different program: this is really up to you.  I would imagine that a background in biophysics would make you a competitive candidate for a cellular biology or molecular biology program, though.  It wouldn't hurt to apply to one or two programs. 

About not being published:  no, it does not.  I cannot think of any professor/lab/POI who actually expects an undergrad to publish.  If it happens, and it does, it is more of an exception than the rule.  

About the number of schools....not sure....hopefully I applied to enough  :unsure:

• 3 weeks later...

I've been debating whether or not to comment on this thread, but I think I met you on an interview weekend and I might be able to offer some perspective based on what I observed. I won't comment on here OP, but please feel free to message me if you're interested. Best of luck to you in the future!