Length of Time it took to get your undergrad

I have a question for everyone.  Your input is appreciated.  Do you think that admission committee will look into the length of time that one took to complete an undergraduate degree and also repeating several courses? Thanks.

My professor/advisor/graduate director stated that the length of time it took to complete your undergrad is not important (at this school, anyway). However, they do look to see how many classes were repeated. If you've only repeated one or two, it probably wouldn't make a difference. If several were repeated, they may question why. Of course every school is different, though! :)

I have a question for everyone.  Your input is appreciated.  Do you think that admission committee will look into the length of time that one took to complete an undergraduate degree and also repeating several courses? Thanks.

I don't think so. My husband entered community college in 2000 and didn't get his BA until 2007, with several repeated classes and withdrawals. It's never come up as a point of concern, even when chatting with professors.

I don't think so. My husband entered community college in 2000 and didn't get his BA until 2007, with several repeated classes and withdrawals. It's never come up as a point of concern, even when chatting with professors.

Your husband and I seem to have a lot in common!  lol  I started community college in 2001, several withdrawals and a few repeated classes @ comm college(finally got serious and finished in 2011) and then didn't get my B.A. until 2013.

Your husband and I seem to have a lot in common!  lol  I started community college in 2001, several withdrawals and a few repeated classes @ comm college(finally got serious and finished in 2011) and then didn't get my B.A. until 2013.

Haha yes, the non-traditional student story! :) He didn't really take things seriously until about 2004, so the first few years of his transcripts are all over the place in terms of class success.

Repeating courses, probably.  Length of time- I took 11 years to get my bachelor's and am currently attending a top grad SLP program.  About half of our cohort did not finish in 4 years, or have taken time off.  

I took 5 years to get my bachelors because in my last semester I decided to make one of my minors a second major and added a year. I graduated with a BA in Linguistics and Portuguese. I retook and withdrew from a handful of classes and honestly, like some of the others in this thread, I was a little all over the place until I swtiched to Linguistics and so my GPA wasn't really too competitive. But I took 3 years off to work as a preschool teacher and finally decided I wanted to be an SLP. I am now a 3 year student at the University of Illinois, which has a very highly ranked program. I think they saw that I had some real world experience and that I had thought carefully about my decision to go back to school. Plus U of I in particular loves students from other backgrounds because they bring a new perspective to the program. So don't worry if your transcript isn't perfect or you took more than 4 years! There is a school (or schools!) out there that will appreciate what you bring to the table :)

I took 5 years to get my bachelors because in my last semester I decided to make one of my minors a second major and added a year. I graduated with a BA in Linguistics and Portuguese. I retook and withdrew from a handful of classes and honestly, like some of the others in this thread, I was a little all over the place until I swtiched to Linguistics and so my GPA wasn't really too competitive. But I took 3 years off to work as a preschool teacher and finally decided I wanted to be an SLP. I am now a 3 year student at the University of Illinois, which has a very highly ranked program. I think they saw that I had some real world experience and that I had thought carefully about my decision to go back to school. Plus U of I in particular loves students from other backgrounds because they bring a new perspective to the program. So don't worry if your transcript isn't perfect or you took more than 4 years! There is a school (or schools!) out there that will appreciate what you bring to the table :)

Thank you, my situation is just like yours, and i have people telling me that they will look out how long i took to get my degree.  I find that very discouraging.

entao, vc fala português?  

CaitlinAudrey,

aiii sim mais luso-falantes!! :)

estudo na universidade de illinois e acho que essas são boas noticias! vc conhece a comunidade brasileira aqui em UIUC?

entao, vc fala português?  

que legal!!! sempre fico feliz conhecer mais pessoas que falam portugues! Vcs sao brasileiros? senao, como aprenderam falar portugues??

Waitwhichgaby- conheco alguns brasileiros aqui, mas sempre quero conhecer mais! Quero um churrasco! la na florida, os brasileiros sempre fizeram  churrascos :) Acho q alguem deve organizar uma festa brasileira com churrasco, forro, e musica brasileira!

Thank you, my situation is just like yours, and i have people telling me that they will look out how long i took to get my degree.  I find that very discouraging.

Don't be discouraged. You really can't base your situation on anyone else's. Also I think the reason for the length of your undergrad career is more important than the actual length. either way, I think they look at each case individually. There are a million reasons why someone may have dropped a class or taken more than the standard 4 years to graduate and there is no way a program is going to simply look at the fact that it took someone more than 4 years and toss their application aside. Again, it all comes down to you as an individual, what the program can do for you, and what you can do for the program.  Keep hope!

Eu morei em Brasiiiiil por dois anos de 2002-2004 e ai aprendi falar portugues quando estava la.  Eu tenho dois irmoas que falam portugues tambem e uma cunhada.  Aqui em Los Angeles tem Rodizios e outras restaurantes brasileiros... mas recentemente achei um rodizio de PIZZA!!!  Eu e a minha esposa vamos logo logo!

que legal!!! sempre fico feliz conhecer mais pessoas que falam portugues! Vcs sao brasileiros? senao, como aprenderam falar portugues??

Waitwhichgaby- conheco alguns brasileiros aqui, mas sempre quero conhecer mais! Quero um churrasco! la na florida, os brasileiros sempre fizeram  churrascos :) Acho q alguem deve organizar uma festa brasileira com churrasco, forro, e musica brasileira!

I am not sure why this is in another language because i can't read it.

Eu morei em Brasiiiiil por dois anos de 2002-2004 e ai aprendi falar portugues quando estava la.  Eu tenho dois irmoas que falam portugues tambem e uma cunhada.  Aqui em Los Angeles tem Rodizios e outras restaurantes brasileiros... mas recentemente achei um rodizio de PIZZA!!!  Eu e a minha esposa vamos logo logo!

twinguy7, i am not sure why this is also in another language because i can't real it.

twinguy7, i am not sure why this is also in another language because i can't real it.

I am not sure why this is in another language because i can't read it.

Hehe, he and one other person on this thread saw that I speak portuguese and we went off on a little unrelated tangent ;) Sorry we hijacked your thread! On another note, have you heard any good news?

Twinguy7- mmm comida brasileira fica TOP, ne? nao tem restaurantes brasileiros aqui, talvez em Chicago sei la. Mas tem quase 60 estudantes brasilieirs na universidade :) um rodizio de pizza?? que isso? QUERO! pq morou no brasil faz dois anos?

Hehe, he and one other person on this thread saw that I speak portuguese and we went off on a little unrelated tangent ;) Sorry we hijacked your thread! On another note, have you heard any good news?

Twinguy7- mmm comida brasileira fica TOP, ne? nao tem restaurantes brasileiros aqui, talvez em Chicago sei la. Mas tem quase 60 estudantes brasilieirs na universidade :) um rodizio de pizza?? que isso? QUERO! pq morou no brasil faz dois anos?

Oh ok.  No worries.  That explains it.  No good news yet.  

@CaitlinAudrey

Um rodizio de Pizza eh exactamente igual a um rodizio de carne mas eh de Pizza.  Garconettes rodeam a restaurante com mutias pizzas differentes o tempo enteiro e voce pode comer tanto que quizer!