Anyone else starting to get scared with the huge workload required to earn a PhD degree?

EngineerGrad

Hi guys, 

So I think I finally decided which school to go and am now making sure I am on the same page as my advisor... I am starting to get a bit scared about the amount of work I'll be doing for the next 4-5 years. Anyone else? Will I hate myself too much? Should I abort mission (just kidding)? 

Also, the PhD qualifying exam at this school is in January 2015... Which means that my fall will be very busy with classes, research and studying for the qualifying exam... I thought undergrad was a lot of work but lol it seems like it was just a huge 4.5 years vacation when I compare with the amount of work I antecipate doing during my PhD...

Edited by EngineerGrad

...Are you sure your Quals are going to be the same year you start or are they just going to be at that time of the year for people who are ready to take them?

They need to be taken in the beginning of my second semester. They told me this during the recruitment weekend, in the acceptance letter, and in the fellowship offer letter. So yeah, quals are taken in the first year at this school

I can take my quals the spring quarter of my first year, or before fall quarter of my second. As for the workload... I was pretty aware of it. Is it not that little bit of insanity (that we are willing to do this for like 4-6 years) that ties this board together?

I'm expecting to be taking three year-long core classes my first year, along with side classes for my specialty. All while teaching, studying for quals, and figuring out how to work out my many other problems. It's gonna be rough. But it's too be expected. Still terrified though. I feel like someone who's about to be shot out of a tunnel like a bullet

Edited by the_sheath

They need to be taken in the beginning of my second semester. They told me this during the recruitment weekend, in the acceptance letter, and in the fellowship offer letter. So yeah, quals are taken in the first year at this school

Some places you can fail quals once or twice. I dunno if that helps to hear, but it's something to look into!

I'm not worried at all. I can't explain why. I've gained a lot of confidence since starting this major. I really think I can pull this off because I want it enough. Besides, the school has successfully guided people like me through their PhD's before, and they were the ones who chose me. It's not like they didn't have options... At this point, I think they know better about how successful I might be in a PhD program than I do!

You were accepted for a reason. In fact, there were a few schools who thought you'd be a good fit for their institution! It may help to keep that in mind. Besides, everyone has to start somewhere. I think if you've made it this far, you can make it all the way. As long as you keep wanting it, you should be able to make it. :)

Edited by PhDerp

I thought undergrad was a lot of work but lol it seems like it was just a huge 4.5 years vacation when I compare with the amount of work I antecipate doing during my PhD...

It is a lot easier, but undergrad also felt a lot easier than when I was doing industrial R&D. You're far, far more capable now than you were when you started your freshman year. If you look back, honestly look back, at what you could do during your first semester of college, it's a joke compared to what you are can do today. Grad school is difficult, no question, but it's not an impossible task.

I'm a little nervous, but not too bad. I feel like since I'll only be focused on school, I'll be okay. I'm still in undergrad now and doing school and rugby and being an RA and working and everything else is a lot. I'm excited to just focus.

I am nervous just because I am going into a PhD program that is different than my major at my undergrad institution. I am also worried about not being the best research assistant, for the same reason. But oh well, I just plan on giving it 110% until I get my degree or am kicked out!

@EngineerGrad: Have you looked at the statistics of Quals at your intended school? Concrete evidence is sometimes the best way to calm yourself :)

Although research is almost all I want to do, I sometimes find coursework and non-research stuff can be a good temporary escape. At least, I know what I am heading into when working on problem sets. It's just hardly the case for research - stuck, and will be stuck for long.

@EngineerGrad: Have you looked at the statistics of Quals at your intended school? Concrete evidence is sometimes the best way to calm yourself :)

Although research is almost all I want to do, I sometimes find coursework and non-research stuff can be a good temporary escape. At least, I know what I am heading into when working on problem sets. It's just hardly the case for research - stuck, and will be stuck for long.

Stats are good. I'd sayd 70% pass at the first time, but there's still a lot of pressure in my sholders.