Listing amounts of grants/fellowships on CV

NatureGurl

I've been looking at some CVs for graduating students and assistant professors in my field. Some list the amounts of grants/fellowships they've received. Some do not. What do you think?

I won two competitive in-school fellowships this year to support my own research. Do I list the amounts even if they're only in the couple of thousand dollars? What is the practice in your field?

I haven't asked my advisor about this yet (I plan to). Although he is cognizant of "getting me ready for the job market," he likes to talk mostly research and ideas, and I'm a few years out from the job market (although it's creeping closer every term, and while I'm making good progress in my program, I do worry about how the job market will look in a few years).

When I do list dollar amounts, I only list them for awards that fund a large portion of my stipend/tuition waiver and only to demonstrate the competitiveness of the award. So, I only do this for awards that paid at least $10,000/year. A lot of my fellowships are from the Canadian version of the NSF so I list the value when applying to US grad schools so that a US person who doesn't know about the different NSERC awards can see that my award was similar to the NSF GRFP, for example. 

At this current stage (early PhD), I don't have dollar values on my online CV. I think I will include them again when I apply for postdocs (to show that I can get myself well funded) but right now, I don't really have a use for dollar values if a random person wants to see my CV or if I use it to apply for a travel award or something like that.

I list dollar values for everything, including travel grants. I realize that not everyone does because some are small awards but, I've also combined three awards to get fully paid trips to conferences... This is field dependent and, once I'm a few years post-PhD, I'll probably drop the travel grants altogether to be honest.

• 2 weeks later...

List the amounts. I also try to separate "Research Support", which might include travel funds, and "Fellowships and Scholarships", which would be solely for living expenses (things like competitive grad fellowship fellowships with stipend).

If you don't list them, I feel like the person reading it has to assume they are very small amounts.  Since a couple thousand is much more than the smallest amount they might assume (which would I think be a few hundred dollars), I say it behooves you to list the amount.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Gnome Chomsky

Yeah, I've always seen the amount listed. Maybe not the exact amount but definitely rounded to the nearest whole dollar or ten dollar figure. I don't know why you wouldn't list the amount.