• PhD: Partially funded + stipend
    • PhD: Partially funded + no stipend
    • PhD: No funding
    • MA: Fully funded + stipend
    • MA: Fully funded + no stipdend
    • MA: Partially funded + stipend
    • MA: Partially funded + no stipend
    • MA: No funding

Just curious to see the differences in funding are for folks. This excludes external funding sources you acquired on your own. Click the appropriate option.

Fully funded = All school related costs are covered by the school.

Partially funded = A portion of your school related costs are taken care of. This includes waiving out-of-state tuition costs, or partial scholarship money, for which you still must make payments to the school for your education.

Stipend = Any money that is given to you to use at your own discretion (can also be the result of being a TA or RA).

Me: I'm fully funded with a stipend.

What's partially funded + stipend supposed to mean? Like they didn't pay part of your tuition but still pay you a stipend or they don't guarantee funding for all years, or?

What's partially funded + stipend supposed to mean? Like they didn't pay part of your tuition but still pay you a stipend or they don't guarantee funding for all years, or?

A good amount of your school fees are taken care of (for instance: a state school that waives the out-of-state tuition cost) but you get a stipend for being a TA, but the TA stipend doesn't cover the full cost of school.

If you have a TA at my school, they pay 75% tuition, and you get a stipend in the $18k range. So, you could look at it as "fully funded with at $16k stipend", but I guess this scenario is what the OP had in mind with "partially funded + stipend".

If you have a TA at my school, they pay 75% tuition, and you get a stipend in the $18k range. So, you could look at it as "fully funded with at $16k stipend", but I guess this scenario is what the OP had in mind with "partially funded + stipend".

Yep. You have to use some of your discretionary funds to pay for school, so partially funded + stipend hits it on the dot.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm surprised there are so many fully funded +stipend Masters. Unfair ;)

Looking at the list now, yeah, I'm surprised at the number of master's that are fully funded.

Looking at the list now, yeah, I'm surprised at the number of master's that are fully funded.

I wonder how many of those are Canadian.

MAs and MScs tend to be all at least partially funded in Canada, particularly through government grants. Between my school and the federal government I am receiving around $29k in funding for the first year of my MA ($10k of which is for work as a TA).

At the very least you often get TAships as a masters student in Canada. (obviously there are exceptions to this)

I have funding that covers all tuition, but not all the fees, and then a small stipend...I voted "fully funded with no stipend" because the stipend isn't enough to live on (though it could potentially increase, and I definitely have saved enough this year to cover the rest of my living expenses without going into debt).