Submitting an update to application (personal statement)

shubhamgandhi

So I'm applying to MSEE programs, and I submitted my app to U.Penn a couple of weeks ago, and to U.Maryland today. I ended up editing my SoP and improved it a lot. 

Would it be appropriate to email Penn the updated personal statement? It has only been a few days since the deadline.

Should I tell them that I accidentally submitted the wrong draft?

IMO it is too late. I'm sure tons of people think that they can improve their application after the deadline, after they look it over again.  Can you imagine the hassle of having to process addendum's to multiple people's applications?  What's done is done, your application is what it is, and hopefully you will be admitted.

I personally have never asked to update an application, but I've read a lot of stories on here of people who have (for various reasons from minor typos to including the wrong school name). Some schools allow it, others don't. It probably doesn't hurt to ask, the worst that happens is they say no. Just ask an admissions person at the grad school or an administrator at the program (depending on how apps are processed) and not a professor. 

Well, my situation is different from you just a bit. I ask them about updating my GRE scores after submitting my app in three months and two weeks, ago,
and now, one university told me to submit the new official scores from ets. Personally, I do think that this will not help me get  the school as much as
a solid improvement on research experiences in the statement of purpose and cv.

So, if you have the new research publications, a new perception about your future and your study, or the scholarship, I think you should send the email asking them, first.

Edited by Gap Sntin

I disagree with the first few responses. I think you can submit an updated SOP. I did this with a program and got in (thank goodness, because I'll be going there in the fall!). The deadline was December 1st and I sent in my revised SOP in January. The submissions were drastically different and I know my advisor read the newer one.

If nothing else, it didn't seem to hurt!

EDIT: Oops! Late lol. Good luck! :)

Edited by PhDerp

(for other people who may come across this)

It's absolutely appropriate and it never hurts to send updated information. Frame it as having new academic or professional achievements that you wish the admissions board to take into account. Do not say anything about submitting the wrong copy (even if it were true!).

My other advice for your SoP is to finish it and never ever look at it again, because you can always find something to tweak. I think I did a draft, sent it to one of my profs and a colleague who's good with words, and one more after that. Haven't read the damned things since, because OCD tweaking will kick in.